“Awesome B& B and wonderful hosts”

Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn
Ranked #2 of 26 La Paz B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Awesome B& B and wonderful hosts”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Richard and Gloria are wonderful hosts and great people, with pride and passion for their beautiful B&B and Baja, who went out of their way to make sure that me and my fiance got the most of our 5 day stay in La Paz and had a fantastic vacation.

Gloria is a lovely woman who beautifully designed this property, and created a peaceful, gorgeous oasis to relax and get away from it all. The rooms are immaculate, artistically designed, and have comfortable beds. The staff are all friendly and attentive.

We really enjoyed starting every day with a full breakfast of delicious coffee, fresh fruit and a hearty meal, in the beautiful courtyard, while having fun conversation with our hosts and other guests, sharing our La Paz experiences.

Richard is incredibly knowledgeable and is a scientist with a passion for wildlife and nature. He made all the arrangements for us to take an incredible boat trip with Marlin Adventures, whose guides were friendly, knowledgeable and fun. They took us to swim with whale sharks (an amazing, unique experience), snorkel, swim, and play with baby sea lions. We also saw tons of dolphins, manta rays, flying mobulas, and frigatebirds. It was singlehandedly the most beautiful and exciting boat trip we have ever experienced!

We realize how lucky we were not only to find Hacienda Paraiso, but were it not for Richard and Gloria’s tips based on their inside knowledge and passion about what La Paz has to offer, we would have easily missed out on so much.

We are really looking forward to returning to explore more of La Paz, and most surely will return to Hacienda Paraiso.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
We very much thank you for the very kind words of praise. It is always easy to enjoy the company of intelligent ,sincere and warm people. The two things that bring us joy is helping you to maximize your vacation saving you wherever we can and having interesting stimulating conversation with our guests. Of course, whenever our guests are actively engaged in their own discourse, I feel that somehow I, Gloria, or the Hacienda helped facilitate this in some small way and I love when guests get to enjoy each other.

We are so happy that you so enjoyed your trip to the island and that your vacation was everything you wanted it to be. Of course we are ready and waiting to not only give you a repeat perfofmance wnenever the need arises to step back from the frenzy and enjoy our peace and tranquiity. I'n always ready for more scintillating conversation. May the new year bring you everything you want and need. Stay well. Richard and Gloria Laura

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
La Paz, Mexico
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I recently attended a function at Hacienda Paraiso, since I have heard wonderful comments from others who live in La Paz, I had always wondered what was behind the tall secure looking facade.
Well I was not disappointed. The first view is very beautiful with a big garden with mature trees. the pool is the yards center piece and very beautiful!
Gloria and Richard showed us the rooms and they look very comfortable and roomy.
The neighborhood is very safe peaceful and quiet, and the next time friends and family come from Canada, I have a great place to highly recommend.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
We very much appreciate your review and feel especially happy, since you are a Pacena (a per-son who resides in La Paz), and that you had the chance to be with us. We get many referrals from folks who live in La Paz wanting their visiting family and friends to experience the best La Paz has to offer and we do our best not to let them down. This is not the first time our neighbors or fellow "Pacenos" have asked the question "we have always wondered what is behind that impressive wall"? To those folks who have had that thought; stop by sometime and get to know us. We won't bite! Richard and Gloria Laura
Stockton, California
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Traveling during a major holiday can be difficult at times but Richard and Gloria made this seamless. We so enjoyed sharing the experience of La Paz with the other guests and learning of the previous days adventures, our hosts were ready to book us as well if conditions were right. By far one of the most well supported B & B's we have stayed at worldwide. Thanks again to Richard and Gloria and all the guests that we met, you made the trip perfect. PS- glad no one is grading this paper!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Aj H
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
We are pleased that you took some time from your very busy schedule to write your review. We very much enjoyed having you, the depth of our conversations, and Christmas joviality. We hope you can get back soon. Thank you for bottle of wine and kind words . The best in this New Year. We hope to see you up in your area at some point. Thanks for the invite! Yours, Richard and Gloria Laura
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I are living in Mexico and travel a great deal within the country. We spent almost 3 weeks traveling in the Baja and this B&B was nice but not amazing. We enjoyed the decor but would have liked a stronger shower (we called it the half person shower because it was so weak), stronger coffee, and we would have spent more time in the pool if it were heated (which can easily be done sustainably with a solar hot water heater because I know the owner will say he doesn't heat it because he doesn't want to use energy). We like to swim but the pool was colder than the Lake Superior waters I am used to swimming in, which may be ideal for travelers visiting La Paz in August or during the hotter months. However we did swim in the ocean so it really wasn't a big deal. They allow smoking in the common areas, which was not my favorite thing to sit next to a smoker during breakfast. The B&B is not in the greatest location either--on the complete other side of town from the beaches. Their dogs are cute but we work with animal rescues (we are just volunteers) so the fact that they breed their chi's and don't spay and neuter isn't my favorite thing either but that is a personal decision so again not a real issue.

2 Thank Aaron R
Thank you for your review. I know it takes time and effort when there are so many little peeves.
Because I like you guys I will take your points one by one. The shower water. As "seasoned" travellers, I would have thought you would have at least mentioned this "major problem to me or Gloria. Turned out it was two tiny stones in the shower head. Stronger coffee ? we serve very strong coffee and we almost always get positive comments.... I like strong coffee), In La Paz, I am not aware of any B@B heated pools and we may or may not choose to heat ours in the future. Water colder than Lake Superior? A personal choice we do have people swimming all winter. We do allow the few smokers we get to smoke outside in the courtyard a I, myself do not like the smell of smoke. That is why we have a huge yard and many common areas to sit in and I'm surprised you didn't just move to one of them. Problem solved.
We are located 11/8 miles from the malecon and where it is beautiful, peaceful and quiet. And only 11/2 miles from the old historical center.
Lastly, we like many people, are aware of the large # of pets that are abused, put on the streets and are allowed to breed for no purpose other than to populate the world and animal rescue ,as I told you, is important and vital work. Gloria and I (especially Gloria) have probably rescued more dogs and cats than you over the last few years (over a hundred) and this means bringing the litters home de-fleeing them, washing, shampooing them drying them and actively finding them homes.She is very well known for her humanitarian servive to animals.We don,t need preaching from you and if and when loving people who take great care of their pets, choose for whatever reasons, to have a litter of their own,it is none of your business and a holyer than thou sentiment has no place in a review and is not constructive. It is as if I came to your home to review it and said you planted red flowers which I happen to not like(silly) don't you think.Or you wrote about someones religion or lack of it as if this was relevant .You seem to recognize this with your last few words "but that AGAIN is a personal decision and not a real issue". Exactly, so why was it written. I guess my respectful conclusion is that none of these are real issues.
San Jose, California, United States
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Let me talk about Richard and Gloria. Richard is an expat from my neck of the woods, did good in his chosen professional endeavors, longed for a simpler life, and built this place some years back from a dirt lot. Took him six years, completed in 2009.

We only found out about it because Beatrice, my wife, got word from her sister and bro-in-law who stayed there last October. It was uncanny, their admonishment to go. They're not stupid, quite the contrary. So we booked. Turns out, this B&B is the top rated in all of the Baja penninsula. Guest satisfaction, of course. 169, 5-star and little else. Richard is the sort of guy any typical world traveler guy or gal would love. In his "retired" leisure, his passion is science, biology. Not interested in current events, any of that stuff so far as I could tell. Among a bunch of more professional exchanges—because he makes no assumptions about his guests—we did have one evening where we got to have all sorts of more meaningful conversation. If you go there, ask him for it.

I always thought I would hate a bed & breakfast Inn. I'm only friendly if you interest me, so I'm totally selfish in that regard. I could never wrap my mind around having to be polite to random strangers around a breakfast table. Thus, I have forever spurned any notion or idea of doing a B&B sort of thing anywhere, anytime.

Richard & Gloria proved me stupid for making such unwarranted assumptions.

They have six rooms in the place, sleeps two each. One had ben occupied by another couple since Christmas. A French contingent had just vacated and when we arrived on New Year's Day, another couple showed up 5 minutes later.

We all got along swimmingly. I actually looked forward to the communal breakfasts. And the food was very impressive, delicious. Not Continental by a long stretch.

As to the couple who'd been there since Christmas, I was reading...about a 500 page book and I was maybe 1/3 through it. On day two, Ed stops off where I'm reading in the courtyard of the villa and plops down a Grisham novel he'd just finished. He gave it to me.

Long story short: I read night & day, finished my book, and gave it to Ed on the last day in exchange. I felt good about that.

Then, we spent that last day together. Ed, Gail, Beatrice & I. Rather than them take a bus for hours back down to Cabo for their flight out, they shared the space in our rental car and we made a whole day of it.

They bought us lunch at Hotel California in Todos Santos on the drive back. FYI, it's quite charming, rather rustic charm and does not smack of overdone commercialism in the slightest.

All in all, just a wonderful experience on many levels, thanks to the attention of Richard & Gloria.

2 Thank RNikoley
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
WOW! This is one of those reviews that I am almost afraid of answering. Because of the many things it covers, my response will either short-change you or perhaps bore other readers. Thank you very much for your very kind comments. As we do this as a labor of love and not necessity, our (my) skin can sometimes be rather thin and if and when the day comes that not enough appreciation is shown for our efforts and the fun of what we do is not enough, we will cease to be part of the "hospitality business". Of course.we, as just good people,who are only trying to share our beautiful Hacienda Paraiso (originally intended to be our sole private residence) and with no "professional" training but lots of desire to please others, we are always open for practical constructive well-meaning advice to help us do an even better job

What can we judge our success on the large # of returning friends and those who come on personal recommendation, folks such as you both. And I have said it before, for me an extra bonus is when I get a chance to sit with others like youself, who have something of interest to share and who enjoy an in-depth coversation on any subject. If our guests care to inter-act, great. If not, wonderful. WE are here for you.

Another thing that gives me much joy is when the guests have a great time over breakfast and I appreciate seeing their interesting comraderie. Your group was one such group. I like facilitating new friendships. I very much look forward to your return and I know the plan is being developed at this moment. Stay well until next-time and hugs to everyone. Thanks again, Richard and Gloria Laura
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2013

i came to this place based on tripadvisor. i used tripadvisor in cabo and was very pleased....Richard has a lot of knowledge of this area(thow a little pushy on selling you on la paz). this is a very nice, clean, place to stay, but offers no veiws and requires a car rental to get anywhere, the rooms are excellent. if it weren,t for the cost i would have rated it very good. if you want to snorkel with the whalesharks and sea lions, la paz is a great place to do it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank b k
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
I find your review something of an oddity.I don't think we have ever been so disappoined in a review as yours. You called me from a low-rated hotel in La Paz complaining that you would't stay there a second night and asking if I had a room available for you. The hotel you were staying at was not only the cheapest hotel in La Paz but one that i had never known anyone to stay at and you told me you picked it out yourself. Well if you wanted a cheap budget hotel, you should stick to those in that category, not come to the #1 rated B@B in Baja Ca. I asked how you got from the lowest rated to the #1 rated Hacienda Paraiso and you said you looked us up at the Tripadvisor ratings. It would be very apparent from them and our web-site that we do not list under your desired catagory You not only didn't ask about budget lodgings, you said money was no object and we put you in the least costly room we offer ( and because of your bad luck,so I thought), even offered you a discount if you stayed xtra days[something not usually done and only extended out of the goodness of our hearts,partly because you were travelling alone]. I am also amazed at your statement regarding pushing La Paz too much. The most frequent comment I have from guests who are departing is "we wish we had more time to stay in LaPaz ,there are so many things to do" , and you only had so little time to spend. I also thought because you spent all your working time on an oil rig ,that giving you choices and alternatives would have been appreciated.Oh well!.We offer more amenities than any other B@B/INN in our modest low to mid-price range and this seems to be recognized by most people, hence our #1 ranking. May I suggest next time you travel to look at places advertised under "BUDGET TRAVEL" if that is what you really want and need..To say I am extremely disappointed in your review would be an understatement! What in the world could have been your intent?
Redding, California
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Well, I want to start out this review by telling any of you out there:
DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM HERTZ.
If you do, tough, I am blameless. You have been warned.

We had a great time, ten nights at the Paraiso. You have, or will read the reviews, and it is true. Richard and Gloria are very helpful, gracious hosts, and the B&B is beautiful. The setting is quiet, about a mile off the Malecon (Yes, walking distance. We did it every day, sometimes twice a day, once three times and did not need a taxi.) and the breakfast is good. OK, you have to remember this is a "Mexican" breakfast, beans, tortillas, sometimes egg, cheese and so on. It is not toast, pancakes, bacon and eggs.
Some reviewer said, "...pray you get the Sopas for breakfast..." They were good, but I would tell you the most beautiful and best breakfast was the blue corn tortillas with red chorizo, green avocado, white sauce and cheese (see photo).
They helped us set up trips (Take the Isla Espiritu Santos trip with Benjamin Duarte), get a cab for a full day trip (Ask for Sergio - you won't regret it) and Richard took time to try to resolve the issue with Hertz (see below).
I enjoyed sitting around on the rocking chairs in front of our room, at 7am drinking coffee and chatting with Richard.

Hertz: We had a reservation for a car. We flew into the SJD airport at 8PM on Christmas Night, and they totally stood us up, as in did not even show up. They also stranded another family of 6 who had pre-paid. Not more than four days later another guest shows up at Paraiso and guess who screwed them on a car reservation as well?
Think about this: 8PM on Christmas night, your room is 2.5 hours away and you are left standing, the friendly Budget and National car rental reps smiling at you, letting you know that "Hertz ran out of cars and went home hours ago..."
So far it is not resolved, but it will be.
But you have been warned.

Screw Hertz. Stay at the Paraiso. Two great decisions.

1 Thank LaVidaBuono
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Well thank you so much for your review. I know it took considerable effort to write such a lengthly review. Your review is very important to me as you both are probably two of the most travelled guests we have ever had and I must admit it was both fascinating and jealously provoking to hear you speak the stories. I think ,for many people, that your experience and judgement will dispell some myths and enlighten others to some realities of the basics of getting around and enjoying La Paz. Some reviewers suggest that we are away from everything and that getting a car is the only way to get anywhere. No matter how many times I say we are less than 1 1/4 mi from the malecon, it's good to hear it from you.especially since you guys are grandparents, not some young kids, Yes you walked to the malecon once, twice and even three times one day. We have even had young parents push strollers to town on a daily basis. Our short distance away from the malecon buys us peace, quiet and beauty.

We are happy so many people enjoy our full breakfasts (coffee,tea, fruit yogurt, juice,then hot dishes changing every day from Mexican eggs, quesadillas, Eggs with machaca, sinchronizadas,
Sopes(famous) huevos con chorizo, blue corn tortillas just the way you liked them, and more), considerably better than a continental breakfast. We love to see our guests enjoy our early morning Strong Coffee and start the day on a positive note(with enough food to not have to eat another meal before dinner.., less calories and saves some money too.

We truly enjoyed helping you get a taxi at a very fair rate when you decided to take a day trip or two.
And getting you the best deal to the beautiful Island trip is always our pleasure. We thank you for your kind words about our friendliness as we look at all of our guests as new friends. I do regret that you had your very poor experience with Hertz Rent A Car. Gloria and I felt tremendous empathy for your difficult plight and the fact that no Hertz representative wanted to help resolve this issue and leaving you stranded that evening is reprehensible. I know it cost you a nights boarding at some other lodging even you had paid to be with me and then had to take a bus ride for two from Cabo to La Paz the next day. You know I tried my best but was sent to five different Hertz people with none offering any help. I do hope you can quickly resolve this issue when home. I will support you in any way I can!

We know that you loved La Paz and hope that one day you will decide to give us your presence once again. We took much pleasure in having the time to get to know you and in our very pleasant conversations. When we grow up, we want to be like you two, Stay well through the new year and think of us once in awhile as we will of you, Your new friends, Richard and Gloria Laura