“the place to stay in La Paz”

Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn
Ranked #2 of 25 La Paz B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Palazzolo sull'Oglio
“the place to stay in La Paz”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I was in La Paz for 2 nights with my family and friends; our stay in Hacienda Paraiso was perfect.
Place and rooms are quiet, swimming pool so beautiful and breakfast great; the hosts so friendly and helpful. They suggest us the trip to Espiritu Santo island and actually it is one of the best memories of our vacation, also suggestions for restaurant and beaches was perfect. I hope to get back there and stay some more days.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alberto66bs
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
We, at Hacienda Paraiso, are delighted with your excellent review and are happy your time with us was so enjoyable. Because of a prior out- of- town family committment, Gloria Laura and I were unable to personally welcome you, but our hostess Joann said your group were all wonderful people and she enjoyed serving you. We do hope that all of you can return for many more days and see the many things available for you in La Paz and surrounding small villages.We would very much appreciate it if maybe some of your other group(family or friends) could also write a review (in Italian)? We look forward to having the opportunity to seeing you in the near future and helping to make your next vacation with us the best ever. Until then our best,Gloria Laura and Richard.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed at Hacienda Paraiso for a week in April 2012. The accommodations were superb, and the breakfasts amazing. It's a quiet spot, one mile from the Malecon, but the city center is easily accessible. Boats to Isla Espiritu Santo leave from the Malecon, and nice beaches are about 30 minutes by car. Gloria and Richard provided great suggestions for restaurants, adventures, and site-seeing. We had two teens with us, and they really enjoyed their stay at Hacienda Paraiso. They especially liked the pool, the breakfasts, the parakeet sanctuary, the 2 chihuahuas, and a funny African Gray Parrot. (The pets did not come near the guest rooms, however.) There's a lot to do and see in La Paz. Staying at Hacienda Paraiso, lets you take advantage of all that La Paz has to offer and return to a peaceful retreat.

Room Tip: All rooms we saw seemed equally nice.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
We very much thank you for your review; especially after this elapsed time. We know how rapidly you jump back into a busy routine after vacationing and how quickly time passes. So thank you for your effort. We are pleased that everyone enjoyed their stay and that the boys found Hacien-da Paraiso and La Paz has everything to keep teens of all ages happy . Being a short distance from downtown keeps the traffic noise, music and other sleep distractions to a minimum for a peaceful nights sleep. The way La Paz is situated, there are virtually no hotels on the malecon( a couple of old ones before traffic excepted) and our "World Class" beaches are from 7-20 min. from the malecon giving the feeling of tranquility and peacefullness. Thank you for your high praise of Hacienda Paraiso. We look forward to at seeing you at some future date. Take care and give our best to the boys. Richard and Gloria laura
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Was honestly considering buying property in La Paz by the time I left Richard & Gloria and their beautiful B&B. Had I not stayed here, the vacation wouldn't have been as amazing as it was: they gave advice on adventuring (swimming with wild sea lions!), private beaches (spent one afternoon on an isolated white sand beach sipping Tecates & enjoying dips in the crystal water - and there wasn't another group of people in sight!), & amazing restaurants in local & nearby towns (I'm not much of a meat eater, and I still crave 2 steak dishes that Richard & Gloria recommended).

In addition to the wonderful hosts, the grounds are lovely & perfectly situated a short walk from the hustle & bustle of the main drag in La Paz (not to mention, you walk by a FABULOUS margarita spot on your stroll there...). The rooms were clean, their air-conditioning was strong, and the breakfasts were out-of-this world.

I can't wait to get back to La Paz, and when I do, I'll head straight to Hacienda Paraiso :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
We are grateful for your beautiful review and extremely pleased that you had such a wonderful time. We always try our best to determine what will fulfill your wants, needs, and expectations and make recommendations we feel will best meet them. I enjoyed getting to know you and hope you both can return soon for another week(or more) of fun. We at Hacienda Paraiso and beautiful La Paz await you. Best wishes 'til then. Richard and Gloria Laura
San Francisco
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The neighborhood is perfect - out of the way but within walking distance (or a short/cheap cab ride) of everything you'll need (including markets, sights, restaurants).

The accommodations are perfect - the spread is beautiful and tranquil. The rooms are comfortable, conditioned, and generally/regularly maintained in thoughtful fashion.

The hosts are perfect - knowledgable, helpful, friendly, welcoming. The service was stellar and the meals were some of the best we had in La Paz.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you so much for your great review. Gloria and I are very pleased that both of you young folks enjpyed Hacienda Paraiso and La Paz so much. Yes. we feel we are in the best location in La Paz. only a little more than a mile to the malecon(downtown boardwalk) but none of the noise at night (our guests sleep very well) and 1/4 mile to the banks and supermarkrts and of course restaurants. A cab ride is only $3.75 to downtown. Peace, beauty, and fun; that's what we have to offer. We hated to see you leave and hope the next time you can leave San Francisco behind, you head back down to us . You are a beautiful young couple and we wish you the very best. Till next time.....Richard and Gloria Laura
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Visiting this serene and beautiful hacienda was a true enhancement of our wonderful vacation in La Paz. The owners Gloria and Richard are great hosts that made sure we were well taken care of, not to mention Richard`s gourmet cooking skills. This B&B is a sanctuary that provided us with the peaceful and relaxing ambiente that we needed and enjoyed. We absolutely will be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank Gaby and Christ... G
, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
We appreciate your sentiments and thank you for taking time to express them. We enjoyed your company and hope to see you again soon. I know how much you love La Paz and hope that your dream of living here becomes a reality someday. Every now and then I get in the mood to cook for our guests (other wise, what's the point of keeping the 240 cookbooks in my library. I'm happy that you enjoyed my newly created yellowtail recipe(even people who dont eat fish love it).Stay well until we see you again. Richard and Glauria Laura
clinton
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Firstly, I apologize for the tardiness of this review, as my husband and I stayed here back in April, but as they say, "better late than never". I will admit, I am not a huge fan of B & B's, but staying at Hacienda Paraiso may have changed my mind! Richard & Gloria were incredible hosts, they literally treated us like part of their family, inviting us to the movies or out to eat. In addition, they could not have done more to ensure that we had a wonderful stay in La Paz, providing helpful suggestions on what to do, where to eat, how to get there, etc. Even though we already had a full itinerary planned, including a kayak/camping trip with BOA out to Isla Espiritu Santo, we appreciated all there help. The atmosphere at Hacienda Paraiso is perfect for relaxing and hanging out. Richard & Gloria were equally attentive and accommodating with all their guests and it is clear that they genuinely want you to have a good time. Richard is an autodidactic scientist, and gifted with an encyclopedic recall relating to the flora and fauna of the area, talking with him and visiting his personal laboratory were a highlight of my trip. Gloria was equally as gracious, insisting on speaking with me only in spanish to help me improve my conversational skills when she found out I was studying the language, once again going above and beyond all expectations for "hosts". I could not conclude this review in good conscious without including a good word for Alejandra, the Haciendas housekeeper and cook, she was amazing!!! When she cleans your room, believe me, it is fabulous! My husband and I both highly recommend Hacienda Paraiso and would love to stay there again our next time in La Paz. My only suggestion would be for guests to make sure they carry the address with them, as most taxi drivers seemed to have a bit of trouble finding the location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Better late than never! Firstly.Let me thank you for your generous wording of our review. Secondly, I thank you again because I know how much more difficult a review is after much time has elapsed and life seems to get busier and busier and it gets easier to let someone else do one.

We hope we have changed your mind regarding B@Bs. You know ,I used to think the same ways about B@Bs, not wanting to be in someones home.. But as you experienced, we are not typical . We are spread out as a hacienda should be with a central court yard including the infinity pool as the very center. No one is in 'our' home. All have private entrance and space. We always have and always will do anything and everything to ensure you the best vacation possible.

I appreciate your comments regarding my love of science. Education ,especially in the world we currently live in, is more important than ever. We are unfortunately becoming more and more scientifically illiterate and I love to educate when possible. Gloria is always happy to accommo-
date someone as she did with you and your Spanish and I think I heard an improvement over the few days you practised. Alejandra as well, is thankful for your comments. She does the best job
possible for our guests breakfasts and she leaves rooms spotless. We couldn't do what we do without her.

We look forward to your return and hope the fish will be jumping in the boat for the fisherman of the family(not allowed to name names). Thank you for the heads-up. Even though we attained Tripadvisor's #1 rating within nine months of our opening; by many standards, we are still the new kid on the block. And with many of the newer taxi drivers, learning their way around is just part of the process. While they get to know us, having our directional map from the web-site can be helpful. Once again, many thanks. We can't wait to see you guys again. Richard and Gloria Laura
LaPaz, BCS
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We recently found ourselves with a group of Marine Biologists from Costa Rica who were studying and exploring sea life in Southern Baja. We live part time in La Paz. As we got to know this group, (four had their PHDs and one is studying for a Master’s Degree) we grew even more appreciative of the Marine and Academic diversity of La Paz where three Universities offer advanced degrees in Marine Biology.

Returning from a day at the Islands with our Costa Rican friends, we remembered a science lab that we had seen at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz. We made a quick call, and sure enough the Proprietors, Richard and Gloria, invited the whole group of us to stop by …which we did that same afternoon.
After an opportunity to cool off in the pool, Richard invited the group to join him on a tour of his lab. He began by showing his collection of reptiles and amphibians, and then pointed out local fossils, as well as labeled specimens of what seemed to me to be every possible sea shell. The mood became very animated as we dug into the collection with delight. At times the microscopes were used to observe closer or to emphasize a point of mutual interest. Perhaps the most involved was the Senior Biologist, Jorge, who seemed to re-experience a child-like enthusiasm as he recalled highlights of his own collections.
A top notch biology lab in a private home is rare, and even more so in a B & B, and no one is more animated and proud than Richard. It was a part of him that we had not seen so happily shared in any other setting. Our friends from Costa Rica were in good hands.
We pass this along because Richard’s lab and keen interest in so many aspects of Biology is a wonderful part of Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz that one might not see unless they specifically ask.
Bill and Kathy Bezy
La Paz, BCS, MX.
Arnold, CA, US

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Well I am surprised and unusually happy to see such a genuinely thoughtfull review extolling my diverse interests in the "life" sciences. We live in what is considered the area with the most bio-diverse marine eco-system on the planet. Jacques Cousteau recognized this decades ago when he coined the words ("the world's aquarium"). But in addition to this, there are abundant reptiles (I don't have any live reptiles anymore folks ), fossils(we spanthree different "age zones", we are very well mollusc(k) wise and are well known to birders.

Many people ask me about my studies in all branches of zoology,both extant (living) and extinct and want to know if I am a professional. For those few who may care to know read on : the rest are permitted to, without apology, go elsewhere. No, I am not although my original ambition was to be a herpetologist. When I had to make a difficult choice early on, I left the world that I loved to make a living, yes money. I was at a very early age enthralled with ants and other bugs, I loved fishing (as I still do today) with one difference from most people: I always needed to know what made them tick and how they were put together. The fishing familiarized me with all local species and then I wanted to know more. Coming to Baja enabled me to learn firsthand the local herp fauna. As my fossil collection grew and my mollusk(c) collection grew (my first year I collected, identified, and cataloged over 500 species and sub-species of mollusk), the more I realized how interconnected all of the sciences truly are, and the more I learned about one study, the easier it was to learn about others. Tire of reading yet.?

Well as a young child, like every young child, I loved dinosaurs and as I grew to love reptiles as very interesting creatures, my interest in dinosaurs grew ( they a type of reptile) and today I still love them. So to bring this to a close. Because i was fortunate to be successful in the business world, I retired at forty-eight to pursue my life-long love ,the study of life, especially animal life. And to this end I was able to build my owm science laboratory and sometimes share my love with others. To me sharing is an educational event. Either I am helping dispell myths or misinformation or explainig science as factually as possible, or I am learning something new from the pros themselves , it is a wonderful pursuit. Whether it be an insect, clam,.fish, frog lizard, bird, or mammal, if it is alive or has a fossil version, I want to know about it.

I very much appreciate you being kind enough to bring over the fours PhDs marine biologists. I love to discuss with scientists who do what they do in life sciences studies much more the love of the science than for monetary gain; it is called dedication.I have belabored this aspect of my life and if any of you find these remarks interesting ( I am now spending much time on fossil mammals and paleoanthropology) and think this in some way adds to beauty,peacefullness,and pleasures to be had at Hacienda Paraiso, I'd be delighted. But first and foremost, this is my love,it doesn't have to be your love. I lke talking about others passions too. It's all part of Richard's 4 (L)s, living , laughing, loving, and learning.