Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn
Ranked #2 of 28 La Paz B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 20, 2012

To call it a a tropical oasis paradise sounds too cliche to be true, but that's what it felt like when I stepped through Hacienda Paraiso's gates from the outside world. Palm trees, tropical flowers and birds and a beautiful central court yard pool instantly invited relaxation and enjoyment. Lots of room and privacy, even when there were other guests afoot. Alexandra's breakfasts were excellent and plentiful, our room was kept spotlessly clean and hosts Gloria and Richard entertained and shared a wealth of local knowledge that really enchanted our stay in La Paz. And, who needs boring "tea and coffee" when you can stock ice cold Mexican beer in your own room fridge, for pete's sake?

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GorrieGirl
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

The description "perfect" , when it refers to your stay at Hacienda Paraiso, makes me smile. I know how different we are from any other B@B/Inn in La Paz . Thank you for sharing your view of Hac. Paraiso as a tropical paradise . All of our six rooms have themed furniture which was made for us in Mexico. All of the decorations and art work is by indigenous Mexican craftsmen and women. We designed Hacienda Paraiso to invite informal relaxation which you so obviously enjoy.
Many people express privately to us that they have been to some other or many of the other places listed in La Paz and we stand alone as stated in many of our reviews. You are one of these people and I'm glad we don't name names. Our pride shows when we speak of how we transformed five lots of dirt to the place we most love to be.
Sharing our knowledge and offering suggestions to our guests is second nature to us The more you enjoyed your stay with us the better. And as far as that cold Mexican beer in the fridge is concerned , great idea; i'm going over to get one right now! Come back soon .Richard and Gloria Laura

Reviewed June 15, 2012

A top notch B&B (in fact top notch accomodation for La Paz full stop) - about 5 mins out of main st La Paz - however don't be afraid of main st La Paz this is the MOST delightful wee town. Our stay was excellent - good large rooms - the setting is behind a secure wall just off the main rd on a dirt rd (about 100m) however this just added to the appeal. there is a lovely pool, breakfast is excellent (as noted by many), garage parking provided, there is filtered water stations and you are encouraged to fill your bottles to save the planet from more plastic - thank you i really back you on this one. My constructive feedback would be that there were no tea and coffee making facilities for guests (water - coffee : you decide - i guess!). I did initially bristle when the owners harrassed me over my limited number of nights choosen (2) to stay in La Paz with firm comments around changing this - not appreciated. also they suggested a bar/restaurant that doesn't rate on trip advisor (with good reason). We did however appreciate the suggestion of the island day trip and highly rate this and the company recommended. Overall the stay was outstanding however i suppose with the "encouragement" to make a review it pushed me towards really thinking and providing a very clear overview. If was i to revisit La Paz i would stay here and i would reccomend any travelling friends to stay here - its awesome. You should have your own car tho as it would be a pain to have to rely on taxis from this location.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Trish M
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2012

thank you very much for taking time to write your review, We very much appreciate your positive response toward our conservation ow water and planatary garbage issues. La Paz is the most delightful wee town on the BaJa peninsula and there are many thing of interest to do. As a B@B, we serve what we feel is the best breakfast of any B@B in Baja and take pride in the positive praise we receive. As a small business with just two full-time employees, schedules have to be kept in mind. Ale, our wonderful "chefess" does not only a great job for breskfasts, but after cleaning up has full responsibilities for making beds and cleaning rooms. We have three rooms which have kitchen/kitchenets and have everything in there for making coffee,tea,etc. As a matter of fact,in yiour party ,you had one of those rooms, Most of our guests are out enjoying their days in La Paz that have virtually no call for afternoon coffee. All rooms also have refrigerators for soda, beer,wine ,etc.

Because this next issue is so important, I've decided to more fully explain our perspective on this matter. Bear in mind that when Gloria and I decided to share the beauty of our home Hacienda Paraiso, we did it to meet nice people with whom we could educate to the incredible wonders of La Paz and the hearts of the Pacenos( local Mexicans). Other interests such as "Making a living" were not major considerations. We were happy just to meet friendly people wanting to have a great vacation. Little did we know how difficult it was for many of our guests to formulate a vacation in a place little known to them. It is so easy to mis-judge a town or lodging using a travel guide or even online. As time went on we recognized how many people regretted their decisions on how many days to stay here or there, what was really available to do, etc. For example, Should I spend 3or4 nights in a town that is ideal for only one or two nights. Maybe they did'nt know that the beaches are not swimmable due to undertows or rip-tides. Or maybe the town is at best only a day trip town(Todos Santos [1hr 15min]) saving packing and repacking. Well we learned about the misplanning and the disappointments and knew that we had to take a more proactive position in giving genuinely accurate information so that people could make informed decisions about the where and whys of their trip. We have since been very much rewarded by the appreciation shown us by simply taking some time to answer question BEFORE folks make their plans We urge everyone to call if their scheduled trip is for a week or more in order to maximize their trip. Example. The single most appreciated and wonderful adventure in Baja is the trip out to Espirito Santo Island off of La Paz. People have come from Europe mainly for this beauteous adventure. You chose to stay 2 nights (one full day). If that, your only day had inclement weather, you would have missed the trip of a lifetime, Not only do we feel a sense of responsibility to every one of our guests, we have you who travelled a long distance at great expense from New Zealand to be here and this makes it in my mind imperative to help you make the most of you time and money. I'm genuinely sorry that you felt harrassed in any way. This is not what we wanted and feel sad if you felt it was for any other reason than what I have stated.La Paz is the jewel of Baja and we have folks stay here two weeks or longer and between the wonderful experiences of la Paz, our beautiful islands, and day trips, have enjoyed up to 12 days doing something different each and every day! And I never talk about night life. Unlike Cabo, the new 365day spring break crowd,we have dances, symphony, different musical events (jazz,rock,etc), La Paz is a quiet AND a happening place.

As far as restaurants, surely you have gone to restauants with others; some were happy ,some notso. That's life. We make hundreds of recommendations to our guests and 99 of 100 our feedback is positive and this is because we have all their feedback, those of the locals and we personally recommend places we enjoy...can't do more than that, Sorry again for your disappointment. But good news reigns supreme.We want you to come back and we thank you for recommending us to your friends. And we hope for a more extended period of time so that you truly get to know La Paz. I think that everyone should consider (although not necessary- 40 % of our guests don't) having a car in Baja. There is just too much to see and do especially if you are coming for the 2nd time. Thaank you all for coming from such a distance to see us . We welcome you back whenever possible. I promise you all the coffee you desire. RICHARD and GLORIA LAURA

Reviewed June 9, 2012

I went down to La Paz for my cousins wedding. My cousin told me that she & her husband has been to Hacienda Paradiso many times before, & that she loves it, & will stay there again for her sons's wedding. So all of the cousins booked rooms there.
Behind the tall white plastered walls that encloses Hacienda Paraiso is a beautiful B&B.
The owners, Richard & Gloria treats each guest like a favorite cousin!
Richard & Gloria are extraordinay! They made sure from the moment that I booked the room from the States that they would do everything possible to make my stay a pleasant one.The B&B looks like it should be on a Greek island- tall, white plastered walls inside the courtyard, a blue tiled roof, the rooms high ceilings, & are clean. The garage is huge & very clean. The daily breakfasts are delicious and are served on the patio overlooking the pool & the courtyard. It is a quiet, safe & relaxing place. Richard & Gloria are take their job very seriously , are very helpful, know where to go & what to do in La Paz. The hosts warmth & concern made my trip to La Paz even sweeter. I'd love to go back to La Paz, go back to the Sea of Cortez, see my cousins & stay at Hacienda Paraiso.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2012

Your sentiments are warmly received and appreciated. We know how very busy you are and doubly thank you for taking some of your precious time to write. We get many people who say "you have so many wonderful reviews" and tell us how they felt the honesty the reviewers. And of course we are always happy(Gloria and I) to receive positive praise for our efforts. Of course, this is only possible because of the many genuinely good people who walk through our doors into our little "magical kingdom", Hacienda Paraiso, and feel that they are in a special place. We are asked often " how difficult is it to do what you do?" And the truth is with such wonderful guests as we have, it is much more pleasure than work. We eagerly await your return and hope it can be soon. Until then! Richard and Gloria Laura

Reviewed June 8, 2012

I had my wedding in La Paz and invited family and friends from the East Coast, West Coast and Mexico City. Gloria and Richard were very accommodating, working with visitors to different travel schedules, special needs, etc. weeks in advance.
All the guests said that they had a very pleasant stay and that they would recommend the Hacienda Paraiso without any reservations.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are very nice. For those who have a physical disability, the ground floor roo...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2012

It was our priviledge to host folks from two wedding parties back to back and to share in these very festive occassions. We are so happy that everyone enjoyed their Hacienda Paraiso experience. It was particularly rewardind having your friends and relatives from the east coast. who might never had ventured to visit (without such an affair to attend) and seeing them discover and so thoroughly enjoy La Paz and Baja Ca., most vowing to return soon.Gloria Laura and I wish both of you the very best and hope your dreams are fullfiled.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

When our daughter and son-in-law expressed the desire to have a wedding ceremony in Mexico, we simultaneously responded with Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz...if they'd do it! Previous trips had been nearly perfect in our opinion, for us. The Hacienda ambiance, and ammenities receive FULL POINTS. What is so very hard to quantify or explain is the unprecedented attention we have received from the owners. We have never had any experience like this in well traveled lives. Arrangements went without a hitch. Four couples for a week in wonderful accomodations, private, yet together. Ceremony, photographer, caterer, music from the modest best that La Paz had to offer became an experience that will only become more valuable with time to all that were there. We found there was so much more to our hosts than ever imagined before...Viva!

1  Thank ESMotteram
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Having two back to back weddings at Hacienda Paraiso was an unprecidented occassion for us and the most enjoyable as well. We knew from our first encounter with you that we would have you back as guests and friends, but to honor us with your daughters wedding was very special. We are so glad that SHE was so pleased how everything went and considers this her best overall remembrance. We enjoyed meeting your family and having the opportunity to help make this such a memorable event and look forward to seeing everybody at some future date((s). Good
health and happy lifes for all! Richard and Gloria Laura

Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights in April 2012. We had a clean and very pleasant room in their relaxed and very well kept property. The breakfasts (as noted by others) were fantastic; up there with the best we have had at a B&B. You won't be going hungry here that is for sure. Garage for the car was a help.

Gloria and Richard were very very eager to help. We must thank them for extending our stay at short notice from 1 to 2 nights and for organizing a boat tour of Isla Espiritu Santo (they were right - you must do this trip if you are in La Paz - up to you if you jump in to swim with the sea lions - I was skeptical, but glad I did).

The eagerness to help was just a little overdone at times e.g. some arguing between the hosts about which room to put us in to when we arrived was a little embarassing, regularly reminding us to give feedback, but it certainly did not impact the stay and intentions are all good.

Enjoy your stay.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Thanks a lot for your review. We are always happy to accommodate people when the need arises on short notice and is possible. We knew that the high-light of your experiences would be your trip to Espirito Santo Island(people from all over the world have come for this trip) and are glad that you enjoyed it so much. We try to offer filling breakfasts in hopes that it can take you through to dinner(less food-save a little money). We are sorry for any discomfort you might have felt during our discussion on which room might have been perfect for your needs(both Gloria and I tend to think aloud as if you are family and if we have minor disagreements, it is because we are genuinely concerned for your well-being..If that is what she and I have to "argue" about. I'm up for the fight anytime (a cause well taken). I'm happy that all worked out well.
We welcome you back and look forward to trying our best to make your trip as positive as possible, offering a five-star experience. RICHARD and GLORIA LAURA

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Great location, lovely host and hostess, the grounds were tranquil, the best breakfast at ANY B&B I've ever had. We were even barbecued our own meal after a day at sea frolicking in the water with baby seals, dolphins, and pods of whales 20 ft. from our boat. Gloria is a mama away from home when I bumped my knee...couldn't ask for a better oasis away from home!

• Stayed: April 2012
haciendaparaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2012

We are so happy that you took some time to write your review. We enjoyed having you and your
philosophical thoughts on life were interesting. Your trip to our island sanctuary will hopefully be a memory of a lifetime. We look forward to you're coming again and Ale will prepare some more great food for you. If and when you bang your knee again. think of our TCL. Come back soon!
RICHARD and GLORIA LAURA