“Charmed by Posada de las Flores” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Posada de las Flores La Paz
Ranked #9 of 25 La Paz B&B and Inns
Ft Lauderdale, FL
“Charmed by Posada de las Flores”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2005

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights in November 2004. We loved the ambience including the beautiful bedroom and sitting room and the largest marble shower we have ever seen (could fit 8-10). The house cat visited everyday. The new owner, an Italian gentleman, is very discerning and we enjoyed every minute of our stay. Please note something that bothered me: when my husband left our suite early each morning for a walk, he would take our key and lock me in but always returned before I rose. On our last day, I rose earlier than usual and could not open the door from the inside. I became alarmed, thinking that I had no exit should there be a fire or an emergency. If you stay at Posada de las Flores, please insist on 2 keys.

• Stayed November 2004, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank CairosMom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2005

Congratulations to Posada de las Flores!

My husband and I strongly recommend this place, since we found not only a very special place to stay, but a friendly and helpful staff that made us feel like home.

We've stayed 3 nights at La Paz and 4 nights at Loreto always at Posada de las Flores. One of the things that surprised us the most is how they take care of every detail, not only in terms of decoration, but in a human sense: a big smile, a relaxing ambiance, the exact music, a romantic touch for a lovely dinner...

Thanks for a memorable vacation!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2004

Our party of four (my wife, our son and his wife) had a confirmed reservation, on their letterhead, for a Saturday to Saturday stay, starting 23 October, 2004 and departing 30 October. Upon check-in, their registration staff was told that we were staying the entire week, to which no comment was made regarding what subsequently was going to happen to us. On, Tuesday, the 28th we were told that a party from Italy had been booked to fill all (8) rooms for Wednesday and Thursday and that under no circumstances could we remain in our rooms for those days. We had to leave! Despite my discussions and protestations with the owner, G. Marceletti (sp), we had to remove our belongings and go off to another hotel. Needless to say, we all were very upset, to say the least. Angry is more accurate.
I learned that the management knew that their Italian party had been booked for those 2 days and that we would be forced to leave. We were lied to on the first day we registered and they repeatly lied to us for the remainder of our 4 days. Personally, none of us have ever experienced such inconsiderate treatment in any hotel we've stayed.
Regarding the hotel: The single rooms are small, dimmly lighted and have uncomfortable chairs or sofa. The bed consists of a mattress on a hard wooden palate. The shower head trickles, at best. There are only a few drawers so be prepared to stack clothes on shelves. The hotel is located a heavily traveled seaside road which is noisy and crowded. By 0530, you are awaken to the sounds of heavy diesel vehicles. The pool is really a wadding pool which is no longer than 30 feet long.
My recommendation, try some other liked price hotel.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2004

If this review looks too long to read, here's why we will never again book at the Posada de las Flores- My wife and I took my parents on vacation to La Paz. We booked our 2 rooms at the Posada 8 months in advance (we were the only occupants there), for all 7 days of our vacation. Two days into our stay, our reservation was mysteriously "lost" from the Posada's computer system, and our rooms were given to an Italian tour group that was filling every room in the hotel. We had to leave and find lodging elsewhere.

The longer story is a bit more interesting. When we arrived at the hotel, my wife (who speaks Spanish at work as a pediatrician) checked us in for a 7 day stay, without any problems. When we were informed 2 days later of the fact that our reservation was for only TWO days, we produced a receipt on Posada letterhead verifying the reservation/date, number of days, and Posada reservation ID#. The manager explained to us that our reservation# did not exist in the computer (it apparently did when we checked in without a problem two days earlier). He also went on to tell us (with a forced quizzical look on his face) that he did not recognize our confirmation sheet as a current one, and that someone in reservations (in another city, of course) must have sent us the wrong confirmation. He did not have an answer when I told him that I called one month before we arrived to confirm our 7 day reservation, and was told that they were "looking forward" to our arrival.

We were then shown our check-in form from when we arrived, which mysteriously had us booked in the hotel for two days. Why didn't the receptionist raise an eyebrow when my wife told her (in fluent Spanish) we would be staying for SEVEN days? And if our reservation didn't exist in their computer system, why did they have a pre-printed form with our names on it waiting for us when we arrived at the hotel? Hmmmm....

The next day, the owner, Giuseppe, came and informed us that a large Italian tour group had booked the entire hotel (several months after we did, as it turns out). He told us he felt "terrible" about our situation, and that it was a "bullet through his heart" for this to happen. We were initially offered 2 comparable rooms in any other hotel in La Paz, which we would have to pay for! We agreed to leave, but negotiated that the Posada would book us in another hotel and pay for 2 of the 3 remaining nights of our disrupted vacation. After expressing his sorrow over our situation, he promised us two of the "best suites in La Paz, with ocean views."

We booked two very nice ocean view "master suites" at the Marina Hotel, as agreed upon. We also went to the Posada front desk and put the new reservation in writing to avoid any confusion. Needless to say our trust in the Posada was waning, so we called the Marina Hotel that night to confirm our rooms. As it turns out, the Posada manager had called the Marina during the day and downgraded us to 2 parking-lot view rooms, each one being 5 bucks cheaper than what we had been paying at the Posada. We immediately confronted the Posada night manager with this, who told us that he would be unable to contact the owner Giuseppe, and that they would take care of it "in the morning." Not trusting this, we re-reserved the rooms we had been promised.

The next morning, we were told that the master suites at the Marina were indeed ours to use. We called the Marina later that day, and this time learned that the Posada manager had downgraded us to ONE parking-lot view room. After some very stern talking from me, my wife, and my father, we got our original promised rooms back the second time. We moved out and never looked back.

What is good about the Posada? The majority of the staff is from La Paz, and seemed genuinely embarassed by what was happening to us (one receptionist, Olivia, was so sweet that she put flowers on our towels after the room was made up, and brought us coffee and bread early in the morning before a diving trip). Unfortunately, they were helpless due to the management-level decisions being made. One even expressed that this whole situation was an "embarassment to La Paz." I can't say enough good things about the daily staff. Also, the Hotel itself is very pretty.

What's bad? All of the above. As the priciest place in the city, what a rotten way to run an operation. We were booted in favor of more money from a full house. We were lied to repeatedly. A short vacation that should have been relaxing was filled with tension and aggravation. Avoid this place.
However, do know that La Paz is an incredible city with wonderful people, and is very much worth your visit.

28 Thank A TripAdvisor Member