“Great Expedition Company for Day or Extended Trips”

Baja Outdoor Activities (BOA)
Ranked #8 of 60 Tours in La Paz
More attraction details
Owner description: Sea-kayaking expeditions in Baja to Espiritu Santo Island National Park and along the magnificent Baja coastline. Trips vary from half day to 10 days in duration and you can choose a fully-catered, motor boat supported or a coop-catered expedition.
Vancouver, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great Expedition Company for Day or Extended Trips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Well organized, friendly, informed staff and definitely the people to go to for any marine trips in La Paz area. I had a wonderful day on their Espiritu Santo Island trip taking a motor boat around the island. It carried kayaks and standup paddle boards and a great captain and guide. We saw whales, and dolphins played with the boat on the way out to the island and the animals were treated with great respect. We visited wonderful beaches, kayaked, snorkeled and had a relaxing lunch. They got me my requested vegetarian salad and with fruit and drinks we were never hungry. Then the highlight of the trip was snorkeling with the sealions. They are such fun to swim with and there were also plenty of tropical fish to admire including an enormous school of sardines. It was a wonderful day trip for all ages and next time I will come back for one of their longer kayak expeditions to camp on the island and explore it more thoroughly.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank n0madartist

Chicago
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We spent a day kayaking, snorkeling, and paddling to an island covered with sea lions. Francisco was an excellent guide and instructor. Our only regret that we only spent one day. I loved sea kayaking. The equipment was in excellent shape.

Lake Oswego, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Great kayak trip along Isla Espíritu Santo's east coast.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We took the 4 day, 3 night fully catered "quick escape" tour through Portland Kayak Company, and it was a very satisfying experience in every way. The equipment was in very good shape, as well as the tents and everything the company provided. Our guides Mario and Francisco are extremely responsible and serious about safety and ecology, very knowledgeable, and very fun and friendly, always ready to a accommodate our needs. They were always aware of the weather conditions and did everything right so that every person in the group would feel comfortable and safe. Our cook Alvarito prepared some delicious dishes, some of them from seafood they caught an hour earlier. We kayaked an average of 3.5 hours a day, snorkeled through beautiful reefs and swam with sea lion pups. I'm ready to do the island's west coast any time.

3 Thank Ivonne S
Chelsea
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Espiritu Santo Island Adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We participated on a BOA /Blackfeather organized kayak trip to circumnavigate Espiritu Santo Island Feb. 25 to March 3rd. The trip was a challenge due to high winds and cold weather, an unlucky break for us. Despite the wind and cold, the BOA logistics were very well planned and executed. The two BOA guides, Christian and Mario were stellar. They lived up to the BOA motto of flexibility. They adapted to the situation and our needs and had the skills and professionalism to establish a positive vib and keep the mood cheerful. They were both knowledgeable about the flora and fauna of the island, shared their knowledge freely and were able to respond to the group as it became clear we could not complete the trip objectives. It helped greatly that meals were excellent, cocktails plentiful and we felt that all options were considered, discussed and adjusted to make the trip a real adventure, despite the conditions. We highly recommend BOA and kudos and muchas gracias to Christian and Mario.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Onthemove04
Altanta
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Circumnavigated Espiritu Santu with my kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I did the 7-day trip with my 15 and 13 year old boys who had never really camped or kayaked before. It was great - rigorous but within our abilities and each day was different and interesting. They were the only kids in a group of 12, but it felt comfortable and appropriate for them. One of our favorite parts was fishing with the guides in the evenings; they are very low key about selling the fishing license in La Paz, but if you don't do it you can't fish. We had fresh ceviche several nights from our catch. I was worried that swimming with the seal lions was going to be touristy, crowded or abusive to the animals, but it was none of those things and seemed pretty pure. It may sound a bit gimmicky, but it was one of the most intense experiences and the best snorkeling of my life. You don't need very much equipment, but important to have a good paddling shirt, gloves, windbreaker and warm clothes for at night. There are 2 companies running these tours and they do a good job of not overlapping, so you have the camp grounds to yourself. I can't compare the two experiences, but I was very impressed with the training, knowledge and attentiveness of our guides. I would give the experience my highest recommendation.

2 Thank philipAltanta