“Amazing fresh Baja Med Seafood!!!”
Review of Manzanilla

Manzanilla
Ranked #23 of 320 Restaurants in Ensenada
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
San Diego, California
“Amazing fresh Baja Med Seafood!!!”
Reviewed March 17, 2009

A five star restaurant needs to meet 3 criteria:
-food that is fresh and blows your mind
-great atmosphere
-incredible service
Manzanilla met all of those creating the whole package memorable meal that I expect to give it 5 star!!
To start, as my husband and I walk into their very modern new facility near the Port (Zona Portuaria), the manager/owner Javier comes greet us at the door and shakes our hands. That was a very nice touch that made us feel welcome right away. He showed us a small table but said we would have more fun sitting at the bar. We were glad we did after having our 4 hour memorable meal!! Let me point out that this like dining in Spain, people linger around for hours not because the service is slow but because that is what they do in their meals.
Here is what we ate:
Appetizers: abulon con salsa de tomate/ abalone with tomato sauce
Tartara de pescado/ Fish tartar
Main dish: Pescado em Caldo/ fish in Broth
Risotto de mar./ seafood risotto
Dessert: Cascada de chocolate/ like a lava cake
Everything was delicious!!!
After the meal we were greeted by the head chef Benitto who told us more details about his very creative dishes and the fresh fish from the Pacific waters. For a foodie like me it was interesting to hear about the details such as using smoked bone to give the flavor of the sauce on the "Pescado en Caldo" that I had.
I come often to Ensenada and there are many restaurants with fresh seafood but none have the atmosphere and the upscale dishes of this place. Will be coming back for sure!!!

1 Thank danielawj

Marina del Rey
“Fabulous Food, Friendly Service, Fun Atmosphere”
Reviewed January 22, 2009

Manzanilla has moved to a new spot on Teniente Azueta very near the port entrance. There's no sign out front, but the eaves on the building are blue and you enter through a wooden gateway.

We have had dinner there twice and loved it each time. The owner greets guests enthusiastically, speaks English, and has good recommendations for both food and wine. He has a good collection of the excellent local wines. Both raw tuna dishes, the tartara and the tiradita, are really good. We also really enjoyed the ribeye, the scallop risotto and the portobello and spinach risottos.

Both times we were there (January, 2009), there was a lively crowd of locals. Most recently we ate at the bar and had a fun conversation with a local winemaker and his girlfriend who lives in So. Cal.

This has become our favorite restaurant in Ensenada, just ahead of Capricho's and Sano's, which are also excellent, and Mahi Mahi, which we also liked alot.

1 Thank PickyTraveler26
Los Angeles
“Incredible dinner in Ensenada”
Reviewed July 15, 2008

My wife, son (9) and I had an absolutely amazing dinner at Manzanilla during our stay in Ensenada. Set just off of the main tourist street of Lopez Mateos the restaurant is located in a small 2 story building which was decorated in a wonderfully understated, modern and comfortable setting. We were greeted by one of the co-owners upon arrival and he very courteously explained that the menu was only in Spanish but that he would be glad to translate, and recommend, various dishes. His recommendations were absolutely first rate and his willingness to literally make something from scratch (an unbelievable but simple pasta dish) for our son was completely unexpected and nice. As for the food it was amazing by any standards that you wish to apply. My wife and I love fine dining and this was as good as it gets. I don't want to inaccurately categorize the food itself but I had a rib-eye steak that was as good as I've ever had and my wife had an expertly prepared local fish meal that was to die for. We started off with an equally wonderful layered blue fin tuna seviche with avocado and pears and a meatball/shrimp soup that was stunning. I asked for a bottle of their local wine and that was also quite tasty. As a matter of fact because it was so good we now plan to visit the local wineries on our next visit. To make an incredible meal even better the restaurant only uses organic food and sustainable seafood. Concerned about the cost? Don't be. As we couldn't read the menu we really weren't sure of what we had gotten ourselves into but the whole meal (inculding tip) was around $110.00. As we were leaving around 8:00 the restaurant was coming alive with diners who clearly already knew about the restaurant. As for my family we can't wait to go back to Manzanilla on our next visit. Enjoy.

3 Thank BigDaddysintheHouse