“Does not live up to the hype.”
Review of La Guerrerense

La Guerrerense
Ranked #1 of 351 Restaurants in Ensenada
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I visited Ensenada with my family for my father's birthday. We were very hungry when we arrived there and my mother had heard of this place on t.v. After searching for about an hour we finally found the place and it was packed. That meant the food must be good right? WRONG! Half of my family went for the tostadas that in their opinion was nothing out of the ordinary. I went for the shrimp cocktail, a "large" which could have been considered a medium anywhere else. Portions aside the cocktail was horrible. I had some shrimp literally fall apart while trying to scoop it out and others that had me feel like I was eating rubber. If that weren't enough the thing was unbelievably salty. After powering through the shrimp I threw away the rest because how salty it was.

In the end we left very disappointed and about $70 poorer. Some how 4 or 5 tostadas, 3 cocktails and 3 drinks somehow wound up to be that much. I paid about the same the next day at a nice restaurant with an all-you-can-eat buffet. The quality and the quantity of the food only made me feel worse about my experience the previous day.

In conclusion, You can not pay me to go back to this place. For all of the hype and fame this place has I feel it fails to live up to its reputation.

2  Thank Juan G

Reviewed April 5, 2014

You have probably heard about this place for years. You have probably seen it on TV multiple times, like I had. You have probably thought, 'ok I like ceviche, but really how good could it be?' Well you just have to see and taste to understand. I will be honest, trying La Guerrerense was one of the motivating factors in my wife and I planning a trip to Ensenada. My wife is from Sinaloa, and grew up on ceviche and seafood and this was a way to get a taste of home for her without having to buy plane tickets. Trying to describe the food in written form is difficult. Anthony Bourdain shook his head in disbelief when eating here and could only conjure up these words "How do you describe this...the delicate interplay between crunch and acid...freshness and spice..." Of course, he also said "This is some sophisticated f***ing food here...this woman is a genius!" It really is hard to explain why it is so good, and just how amazingly ethereally good it really is. The Camaron, excellent. Pulpo, superb. Interestingly the Ensalada de Jaiba (crab salad) which I have never thought to serve tostada style was also amazing. We checked into our hotel on Friday at 11am, and drove directly to La Guerrerense. My wife and I proceeded to each consume 4 tostadas, and then order a shrimp cocktail and an horchata and walk to the port to sit down and watch the boats. The cocktail was awesome as well, and the horchata was hands down the best I've had. It was shockingly good. We visited again on Saturday for more tostadas and another horchata, and then again on Sunday on our way out of town. In a 48 hour span from Friday at 11am to Sunday at 11am my wife and I consumed 16 tostadas over the course of three visits. Everything about the experience is wonderful. Watching the crowd, an interesting mix of locals, of people who've just gotten off of cruise ships and been told this is the place to go, and of foodie travelers taking pictures of their plates. As a trained Chef myself, I marveled at watching Sabina and her team (many of them her children I believe) take orders, and how lightning fast they assemble the tostadas with everyone knowing their role. It was fun watching her give orders! Her husband was chatty and entertaining as well. They were gracious enough to pose for pictures with us, and to tell us they will be in Los Angeles later this year. A truly magical experience for us, and we cannot wait to return and bring our friends.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

we left ensenada disappointed in general but that was a function of the hotel coral and what we had hoped might be more of a nice zocalo or colonial town centre. ensenada is ok but activity is centre around the cruise ship area and as such takes on a cabo like feel.

however, the food scene is remarkable. they pride themselves on serving up the freshest seafood and deliver on it. each restaurant or food cart seemingly trying to outdo each other. la guerrerense is one of the busier street stalls. they had sold out of many items by the time we got there but what we had was tremendous and very inexpensive.

watch for a few minutes as to process of ordering if your spanish lacks.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Great tostadas...liked the coctail at Mariscos Guero better but all the food was really good. A must go to when in Ensenada in the center of town.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This could very well be the reason to go back to Ensenada. We followed Anthony Bourdain's suggestion and found this place when our cruise stopped here. Fortunately for us, it was not crowded when we were there. We waited a couple of minutes to see how things work around here. Then we ordered the sea urchin tostada. That really didn't taste anything like the regular sea urchin that we like so we ordered the fish and the seafood ones and they were just wonderful! The best was the clam thingy which they opened up the big clam, cut the meat and stuffed it back up with their special salsa, what a treat! Everything lookded clean and fresh. Definitely a must stop when in Ensenada.