“Pretty legit but expected better”
Review of La Guerrerense

La Guerrerense
Ranked #1 of 342 Restaurants in Ensenada
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed October 14, 2013

After everyone's amazing reviews, food blogs and press on how amazing this stand was, I expected it to be mind blowing. We got four tostadas - the uni, the octopus, and two of the ones with uni spread, clam, avo, and lime as well as a small campechana. While amazingly tasty, we had begun our trip south with a full day of exploration in the town of Popotla, where we had a dozen oysters, deep fried marciano crab, deep fried lobster with rice and beans and tortillas, fresh from the sea and live uni (4 of them) in a ceviche, a campechana, and a plate of pata de mula for under $40 USD. If we had begun our trip here, we may have enjoyed it more and therefore it is not the fault of La Guerrerense. It was just a bit more pricy in comparison for what you get but obviously in comparison to US prices, it's so worth it. It's easy to find, on the main pedestrian street in Ensenada and everyone knows where it is. Def the hot spot. The restaurants around it were empty but this stand was lively with locals and tourists. Parking is easy right next to it if you go a bit off hours. Ordering and paying is a bit different. It's easiest to order everything you want to eat and pay after you're done than trying to flag down the owners to pay in between orders.

1  Thank saikoxpooh
There are newer reviews for La Guerrerense

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

A sunny afternoon in beautiful Ensenada... The only thing better than a Michelada is.... TOSTADAS!!

We walked up and there was already a good amount of people grubbing away... I read the Trip Advisor reviews and was about to pee my pants from excitement; until I saw them scooping what looked like seafood paste onto the tostadas. I ordered a Mixta, expecting something that tasted like a bad, mushy spicy tuna.

Woah! Not only was it fresh and absolutely delicious; due to their consistency, it doesn't spill as you crunch on the tostada!

They also have a huge selection of bottled salsas. I let my boyfriend choose one for me. Bad decision. He loaded mine up with a Habanero salsa. I teared up from the spice, but I gotta say; it was still fantastic.

This is definitely a must-try in Ensenada!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is one of the places I always stop by when I am in Ensenada. Yes there is a line most of the time so do not come hungry and yes there Special Tostadas (which come with full seafood and pretty filling) are a little pricier but still cheaper than in the US. My favortie is there Coctel Mixto (which comes with all the seafood) and one tostada (of whatever there special is, either the Caracol or the Mixed one). You do eat standing up and this place is more of a stop and go kind of place but it has become a classic in Ensenada, even for celebrities.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I don't know why but I was inspired to do something different at La Guerrerense, and that is to deviate from what i know i like and try something new. it was probably all the people around me yelling out orders for "una (or dos or tres) de la Guerrerense," which in this case is the special house ceviche which shares the name of the cart. so without knowing it exact components - this at a seafood cart that features clams and mussels and sea urchins, snails, and cucumbers - i went for it. when i saw mine on the plate, I didn't want to like it. i don't like unidentified sea critters. or rather, i don't like the idea of a sea critters crittering along, nevermind having said critters in my mouth. (my food partner in crime devoured a octopus + sea snail cocktail, exclaiming about textures and freshness, and i was turning up my nose in disgust the whole time.)

well, you know how this ends. the Guerrerense tostada was awesome. it took about 3 bites before i was fully won over, but the thing was undeniably refreshing and tasty and plain good, with that addictive qualities of really good ceviches.

so take the plunge if you're at La Guerrerense, you'll be in for a treat. but they also have traditional fish and shrimp ceviches and cocktails if you want to stay on the safe side

Tip:
line up on the left side for cocktails and on the right for ceviche tostadas

2  Thank andariega_6
Reviewed September 2, 2013

So we saw Sabina Bandera tostada stand in ensenada on one of those TV shows and of course we hit the road from TJ. After a hard time to park the car since it is right there on a busy street we aproach the cart., It was crowded like with 50 people, so it took like 30 minutes to plece the order. Thay make the tostadas in 1 minute, they have everything prepare and ready to go.

The tostadas are defenitly not the best in the world. you can find much better tostadas anywhere in Veracruz or Sinaloa, hell even in Tijuana are much better tostadas.

What impress me was the price, 50 pesos for one tostada, so we order 8 tostadas we paid 450 pesos with the drinks......next time I will take my 450 and go to a restaurant with parking lot, waiters and even get a factura to deduct the expense!

definetly will never go there again, around the corner and the same tostadas for half of the price and no crowd.

3  Thank Salvador S