“Fresh delicious seafood, so glad I tried it.”
Review of La Guerrerense

La Guerrerense
Ranked #1 of 351 Restaurants in Ensenada
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Here on a port stop on a short cruise, I had read about this stand and decided to give it a try despite the warnings I've read to avoid food stands in favor of restaurants. I had a delicious tostada loaded with clams, would have tried more but was not sure what to order. There are Spanish / English names of all items - but no descriptions. It would have helped me more to have photos up to show what each item was, a little daunting when you can't speak the language & feel like you are holding up the line. $1.25 for a small but delicious tostada, with a couple drops of salsa it was perfect - not too spicy for this non-local to enjoy! I should have left atmosphere unchecked, can't undo it now. It's a food stand on a street corner, no tables just a chair or two available.

1  Thank tink360

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Let me start off by saying that I know them personally since their very early days and before they were famous, I was practically raised on their food, but I'm in no way biased.

To be honest there's much better fish ceviche elsewhere and the crab salad is very good but as another commenter put it, they use canned vegetables, and that could be a deal breaker for some. I still order a couple when I go though...

The seafood (shrimp/clam/oyster/octopus) cocktails are good but, there are better tasting places for that. Ask them for a raw clam prepared in it's shell or some oysters for shucking.

The rest is of the menu is quite good, my personal favorites are the codfish stew (sometimes a little salty), the sea urchin (very strong taste, not for everyone), the sea cucumber (also an acquired taste), the rest is good but not great.

If you are a "foodie" do go visit it really is worth a try and make up your own mind, the quality of the food has been consistent for 20+ years, but the prices have been keeping up with all the hype, do come in with enough cash and early so you can find the complete selection of goodies.

2  Thank Cris B
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I am an Ensenada local, and neither of my family memebers or friends are regulars of this seafood stand, I had never tried it before, but after Anthony Bourdain my boyfriend put some pressure to go and check out for a quick snack. The stand was not so crowded so we just came in an ordered a tostada each, first we tried Erizo (Sea Urchin) which I felt was not so fresh, which is a terrible point for a stand in Ensenada, 2nd I ordered a Almeja (Clam) tostada and it tasted ok but nothing amazing, and 3rd I tried the Jaiba (Crab) tostada and yet again I encountered something wrong, the chickpeas in the mix came from a can. If you're supposed to be the best stand of the world or at least Ensenada, I expect EVERYTHING fresh. They have much more varieties in comparison to the rest of the stands in the city, specially their salsas, but still this place did not amaze.

2  Thank BiancaCinelli
Reviewed January 8, 2013

i requested a shrimp tostada but apparently a lot of people had requested shrimp also ("no more today") and so i ordered the crab salad. it was DELICOUS. My companion got a fish taco which she found to be very spicy. hectic and crowded, you are best served if you come with pesos in small denominations. yes, they take dollars but i saw the cashier struggling to make change for several twenties in row. join the crowds and eat your tostada while leaning against the nearby building.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Found by accident on a stop with the cruise, 2 blocks from mc Donald's. crowded but service is the best and the food is outstanding, at the beginning a bit afraid to try the raw clams and ceviche. Bu glad that I tried . It was the best I had. Definitely made the Ensenada stop a highlight.