“Lovely views!”
Review of Hotel Calafia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ensenada
Hotel Calafia
Ranked #32 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
Hockessin, DE, USA
“Lovely views!”
Reviewed August 22, 2004

I stayed at the Hotel Calafia from Aug 14-16, 2004. We were there for my brother's wedding. I would recommend the hotel. It is Mexican style but very clean and the views can't be beat.

The drive to Calafia from San Diego is a bit dreary, but once you arrive to the hotel everything perks up. The hotel gave us coupons for free margaritas. They have the most amazing and enormous tiered deck/bar I have ever seen. It just keeps going and going.

The rooms are very sparce but clean. The bathrooms are clean but a little old. Our room had a balcony that overlooked the clifts. Simply fantastic. The downside is that there is trash on the hillside. The hotel needs to do a better job with keeping that clean. My cousin stayed on the other side of the hotel. Her room was larger and newer but the downside is that it was near the deck/bar and the music kept her up very late.

We had the breakfast buffet which was $10 and good. The food at the wedding was really good. The salmon was moist and flaky. I would say that prices for food and alcohol weren't Mexican cheap. In fact the beers were about $3.50.

The beauty salon offers massages which many of my family members took advantage of. They are reasonably priced. I had my hair straightened which cost $15.

As a place to have a wedding it was beautiful. My brother was married in this couryard that overlooked the ocean. Afterwards we had drinks in a courtyard as we were seranaded by mariachis.

There is no AC at this hotel but you definitely didn't need it. The breezes kept everything cool if not chilly at night. We left our window and balcony door open and slept very comfortably.

There is a tiny pool which the people with children used. There is also a hot tub that the small kids used as a swimming pool. It is hidden at the end of one side of the hotel. The coffee bar is very modern and hip looking and has great coffee.

The complaints about the hotel were that although I got through on their toll free number most people coming to the wedding couldn't. And when I called to check on our reservation I had to call the international number bc the toll free just rang busy. Also the hotel makes you pay for all your nights up front when you call to reserve. There were a few problems with our friends not having their reservation,etc. Also one of my cousins cancelled an extra room and was given a "credit" to use at the hotel rather than having her credit card credited. This caused quite a commotion with the wait staff who didn't understand.

All in all a nice place. If it weren't for the awful border crossing on the way back, I would go there again.

• Stayed August 2004
4 Thank 3Doggies

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed July 19, 2004

We had an amazing experiance at Calafia and would recommend it to ANYONE! My husband and I found this coastal treat while searching for a place to be married. While sitting on the cliffs I fell in love and we were married there almost a year ago. If you are planning a wedding or a trip to Calafia keep in mind that you are in MEXICO, NOT the US. You'll definatly experience a communication barrier and some other cultural things that will make you wonder ... but the reality is that you can't find a prettier place for a romantic weekend or wedding. And the food is fabulous! Where else can you get lobster, beans, rice, hand made tortillas and a margarita for $12.95... and you get to sit on the bluff!!!
If you have any quesitons about wedding planning please don't hesitate to contact me... I'll happily give all the details!

Reviewed July 18, 2004

We went to Mexico while staying in California with family. We found a hotel, just to sleep at because we were going out in TJ. Well when we got there, we started looking around, and it was beautiful. Don't get me wrong, the web site pictures were taken a while ago, and it is alot older than it looks, but thats what we loved about it! It has so many things to go and look at! We did not eat at the hotel, so I don't know how the food was, but we liked it so much that we are planing to be married there next summer. We will go down and try the food and everything prior to the event, and I will be sure to put in another review.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2004

My car was broken into within an hour of being at the hotel. My car was parked near the security booth, there were two guards in the vicinity and my window was broken. My 35 mm camera and my CDs were stolen. The hotel guranteed they would pay for the window and I have yet to see the money. This happened in Nov. of 2003. My fiance and I were there to plan our wedding--never mind! Beware.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Ensenada hotels

Leander, Texas
Reviewed June 25, 2004

My husband and I have been there several times --we were married there and are planning to spend our anniversary there. It is gorgeous and we love it, but we are travelers -- it's not a luxury U.S. hotel, if that's what you're looking for. One time they'd had a nearby sewage spill that made everything smell awful, but that was fixed and it was back to its regular, wonderful character. We recommend it.

2 Thank RicoyFam
Reviewed April 3, 2004

A friend of mine was married in Hotel Calafia...the recption, the food and the service was excellent...we stayed in the hotel for that nite and it was wonderfull...you can hear the ocean and relax!!!A nice little place to get a break, the prices adjust to any budget..it all depends on your taste...great food also!!!I loved it!!!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 15, 2004

True the hotel does look a bit old, but it was built in the 1800s, what else would you expect?! I am getting married on one of their terraces there, and it is beautiful! I agree that the buffet didn't look to promising, but we ordered off the menu, and got very good ceviche, fajitas, seafood salads and drinks. The personnel there are all very nice. The rooms were not the Ritz, but they are very quaint, and if you are there with somebody, it is a very romantic weekend get-away. Not very many visitors, so it is quiet, and relaxing.