“Great Wedding, nice rooms”
Review of Hotel Calafia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ensenada
Hotel Calafia
Ranked #33 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
Coronado, CA
“Great Wedding, nice rooms”
Reviewed July 21, 2008

After reading reviews we were afraid to stay here but our niece was getting married so we arrived ready to clean our own room and sleep with the lights on.
We loved the hotel and staff. Our room was clean with two nicely firm queen beds, and the ocean view was spectacular. This is an older hotel with a great deal of charm BUT if the occasional cracked tile and drapes not hanging just right bother you, do not stay here.
This is a lovely place to have a wedding. The ocean venues are breathtaking. The staff is very accommodating but this is Mexico, so “close enough” is sometimes what you get in the end (ie: the wonderfully tasty chicken stuffed with blue cheese was occasionally surprisingly chicken stuffed with ham-still great. The veggies were steamed just right. And everything was served hot.)
JC
Coronado, CA

• Liked — Staff and view
  • Disliked — travel in Mexico
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank sdbvjdc

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Rosarito,Mex
Reviewed May 27, 2008

My husband and I were visiting Rosarito,Mex for the first time and didn't know wich hotel to reserved so we decided to drive until we find this beautiful,peaceful,mexican style hotel.
the hotel is a copy of the California Missions in CA, very clean,great price from sun-thu only 35dlls on weekends goes from 80 to 100.
The hotel offers a beauty shop, wedding salon,coffe shop,bar disco,restaurant, beautiful ocean view, great service.The hotel is about a mile from the Rosarito hotel far from the traffic and people close to Porto Nuevo.

• Liked — The arquitecture
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank viajar93
San Diego
Reviewed May 19, 2008

MY first mistake was to not read reviews before I booked the reservation. The room was not ready when we got there and we had to wait for 30 minutes, which is long when you have two children. I have a one year old and I was not aware that there was not a refrigarator, no airconditioner, no telephone, and no microwave. For $130 a night there should at least be water. The water got turned off on Sunday which was very unsatisfactory.I was not impressed. I feel that I should be refunded.

• Liked — The ocean view.
  • Disliked — No airconditioner!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Ensenada hotels

Boston
Reviewed December 27, 2007

Where do I begin? I visited Calafia not by choice in the early fall of 2007 for a friends wedding. I had flown from Boston to San Diego and drove down to Mexico for the nuptials. Getting to Calafia was fun. There was no sign and the dump, I mean hotel, was located off of a dirt road.

Upon check in - the clerk asked my name. When I told him, he pulled out a piece of paper with my name scribbled out on it. He informed me that my room had been cancelled. When I told him that was impossible, he said the 'groom" cancelled my room. I found that to be impossible, seeing that I had just seen the groom the night before at the rehearsal dinner. When I asked to use the phone to call his room to clarify, they informed me that they 'have no phones."

Finally the clerk was able to find a room for us. I handed my credit card (which expired at the end of the month, this was the 7th of the month) and they told me they could not take it. This has never happened before. So, we had to pay cash for the room.

Upon arrival to our room, I wish someone had told me to wear a mask. The rooms were filthy and smelled like must. Two beds, tiled (soiled) floors with a TV from the 50s. The bathrooms - dont even get me started. It was infested with ants, there was a used razor with blood on the window sill and it looked like the inside of a truck stop.

We immediately called the maid to come get rid of the ants. She came, sprayed some RAID and was on her merry way. However, she forgot the keychain with the hotels MASTER KEYS in our bedroom. She came back about two hours later looking for them. That made us (two single girls) feel very safe.

The wedding itself was nice - but this place is highly overrated. We didnt end up staying the night, as sleeping in the beds would have likely exposed us to some disease. I would NEVER expose my wedding guests to this disaster of a hotel.

Do yourself a favor and DONT stay there if you are invited to a wedding at Calafia. Sleeping in your car is a better option.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
Whittier, California
Reviewed September 11, 2007

I don't even know where to begin. We stayed there for my cousin's wedding. I didn't want to stay there after reading the reviews, however, all of my family were staying there and I didn't want to stay alone in Mexico.

The rooms were disgusting. I'm not exaggerating. It has tile floors that are never mopped. The television was nothing but static even though they said they offered colored cable t.v. but it didn't matter because it was all in spanish anyway. The restrooms were even worst. The showers were gross. I wish I had taken sandals to take a bath. When you stepped out of the shower the floor got black because it wasn't clean. They never gave us enough towels and the ones we had were stained.. The sheets had a blood stain so I didn't even sleep inside them. I had my husband get me a blanket from our car. I couldn't stand being there at all.. Their website is very very misleading. It makes it look decent and beautiful. It is nothing like that at all. I would have honestly rather have stayed at a Motel 6 than there. The ceiling's had spider webs. The rooms looked like they had never been dusted. My family booked almost the entire hotel and the other rooms were the same.. The was no hot water for some of my family members.. As far as the ocean views, what a joke, your lucky if you can see it from your room. You can't access the ocean either. I wouldn't even give it half a star rating...

The wedding was okay, nothing spectacular
Stay away!!!!

• Liked — Going home
  • Disliked — Every single thing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Arizona
Reviewed August 2, 2007

Where do I begin? The website is so misleading it should be criminal! First of all the rooms are so small you can barely walk around the bed. The bathroom has no tub, only a shower that looks like it will fall down any second. Also there is hot water sometimes that is if the handle does not fall off in your hands. Phones?? We found ours in a drawer on the day we were supposed to check out. That was okay since our phone jack didn’t work anyway. You cannot access the beach at all so if you have kids they will just be able to go to the cesspool, I mean swimming pool. The pool was dirty with lots of junk (not leaves or bugs) more like cottage cheese floating in it. It’s all tile to if you step in you may fall and crack your head on the steps. Be careful not to get electrocuted on the wire hanging out from where the pool light should be. The are many uncapped & loose wires in the pool area, no lounge chairs, no towels, the fountains do not run, and the surrounding walls are falling apart. Speaking about towels you will only get enough towels you’re your cold shower if they have enough to go around and you can find the maid. If you like camping indoors in down town Baghdad this is the place for you. The spa pictured on the website does not exist! I got a pedicure by some one who had never given one before. I figured this out when she attempted to slice my skin off the top of my foot with a callus remover. Also there was no air conditioning so when I was done with the feet I looked and felt like I had spent an hour in a sauna. Not good if you are in a wedding there in a couple of hours!

• Liked — Getting out of there
  • Disliked — The pina coladas
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank uncletravelinmatt
San Francisco
Reviewed July 3, 2007

This place is disgusting. Sure it has a beautiful view of the ocean, but the rooms are nasty. I would not recommend this place for what it costs. The room we stayed in smelled like the worst kind of mildew. I was so looking forward to laying out by the pool......forget it. The pool was small and dirty with 2 rusty lawn chairs.

We went for a wedding last weekend and even though most of the staff was pleasant, they do not know how to attend to the wedding party. Their lack of follow up practically had the bride in tears.

I hope the managers read these reviews and do something about the quality. It's a shameful hotel.

• Liked — The ocean view
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple