“Great sushi”

Description: use google
San Diego, CA
“Great sushi”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

It´s hard to find if you´re unfamiliar with Ensenada and it does fill at lunch time 1 to 3 pm. But they have some great sushis. If your willing to splurge try the abulone sushis wich you will probably not find in any other place.

Ensenada, Mexico
“Nigori Sushi, Ensnada”
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Sushi is close to Italian on my list of favorite foods. This past Friday, I found my new sushi hangout on the south side of Ensenada.

Nigori Sushi de Autor and Chef Cesar Dario Cruz opened in June 2009. The dining room is efficient, clean and will likely seat about 70. I prefer restaurants with capacity less than 100 as they usually provide better service from both the kitchen and the service staff.

The menu is more extensive than I normally like. The variety of rolls, sashimi and cooked foods(for you squeamish whimps) will take me a few years to try all. But, I'm looking forward to that challenge.

My friends agreed to dine at the sushi bar. Front row seating is my preferred location for sushi. Munch on some fish, sip your favorite adult beverage, chat with some friends and marvel at the artistry of the performance.

The tuna, albacore and temaki were rolling within 10 minutes. I watched, snapped a few photos and sipped on Sapporos. Most know that I enjoy my liquid attitude adjustment before chow time.

I was about to order a dragon roll, but, switched to the Nigori Especial sashimi platter. 7 different varieties are heaped upon a bed of cucumber noodles. I likely took an hour to finish this dish, as I wanted to savor every bit of flavor.

I don't chew sushi. I don't flush it down quickly. Really good sushi deserves a thoughtful tongue massage. The textures, flavors, sweetness of ginger and spice of wasabi all make me very happy.

My friends and I were full, but, still open to more creations. "S" asked, "what is your favorite creation?" of Chef Cesar. I highly recommend this ("sorpréndame") kind of ordering if you enjoy adventure. Cesar put together a creation of tuna, salmon and soft-shelled crab(upper right photo) that wowed us.

Prices start at about 80 pesos and my sashimi dish was 280(about $24USD). As you can see by the size and quality of the rolls, Nigori emphasizes quality and value. If you want a $5 roll of tasteless shoe leather, there are a handful of other sushi shops willing to help.

Service was attentive. Suggestions were offered. And we did bring a bottle of wine, but, were not charged a corkage fee(screwage in this case). They likely let us slide, due to our indulgences throughout the evening. Will verify corkage fee upon my next visit.

This restaurant deserves our presigious 5 KANPAI (5 maximum)award. If you love sushi and you live in or are visiting Ensenada, head to Nigori.

Location is #284 Blvd Zertuche. Zertuche west crosses Reforma at north side UABC campus on Reforma, then winds north at roundabout. From the Pemex/Soriana corner at Estancia & Reforma, 2 blacks west, right(south) on Zertuche[map bel0w] (646)176-6107, 1pm-10pm Lunes a Sabado
http://bajadock.wordpress.com/2011/05/08/nigori-sushi/?ref=nf review includes more photos.

• Visited May 2011