“Average all around”
Review of Hotel Cortez

Hotel Cortez
Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Stayed just one night, I woke up early and went for coffee and some reading time by the pool, when got back to the room the family was upset the room next door was so noisy that they woke them up.
Really date although clean, not the best place in town for that price.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Cortez

Reviewed August 17, 2011

This is a dated property, kind of well maintained, but they have a new section and even it is not my kind of decoration, its clean and new. The rooms are very spacious. The restroom is also spacious, it is divided in two areas, that makes it very practical. The a/c works well, and there's a coffee maker in the room , which is very useful. The only downside of this new section is that you can hear everything that is happening in the corridor. Not very nice!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2011

So many people are still hesitant to visit baja but I was just there in July and had a great time! The staff at the Hotel Cortez were friendly and helpful. I did encounter one issue, when i tried to check-in my room wasn't ready yet, but the hotel is in such a great location i parked my car in the lot and started exploring downtown. I had great fun in Ensenada. The hotel is only a few minutes away from the beach, walking distance to the dock and fish market and on the main street with many restaurants, shops, bars and clubs! Would definitely stay here again. Room was clean, A/C worked and great location with safe parking structure. Great value and you can book online.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2011

let me start off by saying that our reservation was worthless, we didnt have one cause of their system it was erased, but the took us anyways, the exterior is nice but room was kind of stinky, toilet has issues and the bed is run down as is the room, well thats not the worst..........

the worst is that we needed a receipt but they dont have an indepedent system they rely on mexico city offices and i am still waiting for my receipt, its been almost a week now.

restaurant is good.

Room Tip: go stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I had stayed at this hotel several times before without any issue; the rooms are ok.

I made my last reservation four weeks before arriving there, at the end of April. Upon trying to check in, I was told to come back later as they were cleaning my room; I'll also point out that Igave my name to the young lady and she looked me up in their records and told me to come back later. Came back later, and I'll make the story short: they couldn't find a reservation even with the confirmation # I was given a month earlier. Supposedly, they looked and couldn't find it. They made me wait for about 20-30 minutes to see if they could find it; in the end, they couldn't . They asked me to come back at 5 pm when their system would release reservations for people who had not checked in (the nerve). I'll refrain from mentioning the obscene thoughts I had after hearing that offer. Fortunately, there are plenty of choices in Ensenada, and didn't have any problem getting a room across the street w/o a reservation.

Because I got a really good rate when I made my reservation, and it was a long weekend, my theory is that most likely they gave my room to someone else for a higher rate (people were comming asking for rooms, without reservations).

50-50 chance it may happen to you, at some point. I had read a review from another Tripadvisor reviewer who ran into the same issue, and thought, well I have stayed here before and have not had that issue, Obviously, this hotel will be no longer on my list.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Thirstytraveler_9
Reviewed December 16, 2010

This is a no frills place with some frills: workout room, pool, restaurant. Looks like a motel that was decorated in the early 90's. Rooms have showers, but not tubs. Super secure parking is a big plus, as well as its central location. This is a great place for the money if you have business or family in the area: it's clean, it's a good value, it has friendly and helpful staff. The restaurant serves a great breakfast, sit out in their enclosed sidewalk cafe. Zu Taza coffee shop will take care of all of your caffeine needs (even for us tea drinkers!).

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank NCMI-Ann
Reviewed November 10, 2009

Due to flight delays from NC to LAX, we missed broading our ship in LA. We took a bus from LA to Ensenda, a beautiful road trip, and ended up at the Hotel Cortez. What a delightful surprise. My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the hotel and the food at the resturant was exceptional especially the breakfast. We were able to broad our cruise ship on Wednesday which turned out to be a disaster. This was my 7th cruise and it was the worse I had ever been on. Had we known how bad the cruise was, we would have spent the remainder of the week at the Cortez. I highly recommend this hotel for it's location and culture. No chain hotel but a true Mexican experience. This was my 8th trip to Mexico and truly one of my best visits.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple