“Not worth the price!”

Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Ensenada
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, California, USA
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The service employees like the room, and pool attendants were very helpful and friendly. However, the hotel does not do any justice to the pictures that were on display at the booking site. The rooms are old and outdated. The bathrooms were moldy and dingy the furniture old and outdated. The air conditioner did not work in my room and asked to be moved, and it turned out the air conditioner was not working in the second room as well. Therefore, we had to sleep with the sliding door open to compensate for the lack of cool air in the room.

Now what really did not make any sense to me was the fact that the hotel charges guest visitors a fee to come into the facility. My family and I have family out there, and our relatives were asked to pay approximately $10 per person to come in and visit for a while.

In general, I would not recomend this hotel to any of my friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel 2 nights and had planned on doing a lot more than we actually did because we found so many interesting things to explore at the hotel and other activities we did not know they had. What I knew about Estero is that it had horse's and bikes to rent and fishing off the sea wall. I also had heard there were a few water activities such as kayaks and jet skis.

We were not aware that they had ATV's for rent and a course right on the property. We were a group of 8 people from 14 to 83 and the only one that didn't go for a ride on the ATV was the 83 year old. We had a blast and felt very safe on the course (away from other vehicles).

We were also able to take surf lessons on a beach about 2-3 miles away. Although this took us off the resort, we actually walked along the beach to get there. It was a nice walk and the beach had a few drink stands along the way where we bought coconuts and soda.

Another nice surprize was the little museum they have. Besides a bit of archeological artifacts, they also had a nice collection of shells and art. There was a separate art gallery but we did not visit that one.

On Friday and Saturday there was live music, at night by the bar and during the day by the pool. There was also a bar, ping pong and massages by the pool. Our room opened up to a little patio by the pool where we could relax away from the crowd but still enjoy the music.

As other reviewers have said, this is not the U.S. and we did encounter some of the usual problems that we've encountered at other Mexican hotels such as not so comfortable beds, air conditioner problems, credit card machines down and slow service to repair but this sometimes goes along with traveling. Everyone at the hotel, however, were more than happy to rectify problems, including changing our room.

Room Tip: Rooms close to the pool are in the center of everything and besides a pool view, also have a bit of...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank fancher04
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Estero Beach Hotel July 27, 28, 2012. We booked via Expedia. We were in room 351. The floor was so dirty in the room that we had to wipe the bottoms of our feet off before getting into bed. There were two bedside lights and two weak lights on the walls. Essentiall the room was dark. The shower worked sporatically. The hotel's music, which was about 150 feet from the room, was easily heard in the room. It began at about 9:30am and went on until 1:30am the next morning. The hotel was primarily filled with local Mexican families and their children. The pool was so filled with kids that it was impossible to use. The view outside was fantastic. One good thing out of ten bad isn't that bad. The bar and restaurant, which we were told were seperate consessions did not take charge cards as the had "no phone line."
We tried to get out of their as quickly as possible. It was a weekend. No vacancies in the area. We stayed two nights and went to Las Rosas. For eight dollars more a night we had a beatiful room, 3rd floor, over the ocean, great food, great service. Not only did we call about the conditions in the room, but on check out we wanted to register a complaint and get our money back for the third day we had prepaid through Expedia. The men at the front desk had no complaint forms and we were told it didn't matter as it was up to Expedia to refund the money. Called Expedia from the hotel and reception was so bad that I gave it up unti we were back in the US. Called Expedia and they told me any refund was up to the Hotel. They contacted the Hotel and purportedly were told by the manager we hadn't filed any complaints and thus the Hotel would not give us a refund. Expedia said it was up to the Hotel. I repeated my story about their not having complaint forms and the Hotel staff telling me refunds were up to Expedia. Expedia wrote me and gave me a $25 credit on the next time I use their service. Finally had a horrible hassle with the Mexican Police crossing the border. Missed stopping at the very difficutl to find Fast Pass lane. Drove 150 yards and Mexican Boder Polcie made me back up that entire distance to hand the Fast Pass to a Mexican Police Woman in a kiask. He either did not know English, we knew a little Spanish, or refused to talk to us in English. We used a Fast Pass and it took three hours to cross the Border on a Tuesday afternoon, starting at 12:30PM. It will be a while before we go back to Mexico on vacation.

Room Tip: We can only speak about the room we had, Room 351. Judging by that room, don't go. The Hotel was...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bth40
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was my second time camping at Estero, but the 5th year in a row for the group of family I went with. It's a wonderful site and very clean! But this year they have decided to have security ride around on bikes and tell all PAYING campers that only two cars are allowed on each campsite! Our groups was made up of 30+ which we all paid our fees for the weekend to camp, which always included parking by your campsite on the dirt. We were not allowed to park all of our vehicles near our campsite but were forced to park in the visitor area by the check in entrance! We all paid our fees to camp but yet were inconvienced on parking our cars else where and walk with out items! when clearly there was plenty of space!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Anni_101
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My wife and I were recently married, and came here for our honeymoon. We came up with the idea when we were looking at baja cruises, and about the cheapest 3-day cruises that went down there were over $1000 in the timeframe we were looking at. While checking out one of the potential stops in Ensenada, I came across some of the top resorts, and after some research decided to stay at Estero Beach and stay longer in Ensenada for cheaper. Definitely a good choice. There are other resorts that are a little nicer downtown, but we were looking for a little quieter stay, just depends on your style.

We got a lot of warnings about the dangers of Mexico, but we encountered absolutely zero problems. We parked our car in the US, walked across the border and took an ABC bus to Ensenada ($45 for two people round trip - return ticket good for any bus at any time within 3 months), then took a random taxi to the resort for about $10. We don't speak Spanish, and I checked extensively for any violence in the area - everything has been pretty nice for quite a while in the news. Basically, don't stay in a horribly ghetto part of town, go to dodgy bars late at night/travel at night, or investigate or have anything to do with drugs or anyone that talks about it, etc. and you'll be fine. Everyone in Ensenada was super nice and friendly. We never felt unsafe, and there were a lot of Americans vacationing and living there. Don't be scared, come on down!

The resort was just what we were looking for - its about 10 minutes outside of town, with lots of families down at the resort. They upgraded us to a nicer room cause I requested an upgrade, and they didn't charge us for it since it was a cancellation. We ate all over Ensenada, and the restaurant at the resort is pretty much better than pretty much most things you'll find (on weekends they upgrade their menu with even better options), and is cheaper than most places too - 4 large great fish tacos with unlimited house chips and salsa was only $4.38 American. We had a beach view room that was great, and there is a good beach right outside the resort through the gate past the security post. Staff was super helpful and great.

There's people on site who rent kayaks, jetskis, etc. for decent prices, and we also went outside of town to go on the las canadas canopy tour with ziplines and ropes course, only $38 for the both of us. The megaplex movie theater in town shows movies in English with Spanish subtitles for about $3. We had an awesome time on the resort, chilling at the pool and the beach, eating amazing food, and dancing to the live bands/music on the weekend. Super safe, fun and most calm hotel, with an amazing site and museum.

Only cons, were that the wifi in the northern part of the resort was pretty much nonexistent - had to go to the pool or lobby area to get reception when needed, and the phone in the room stopped working. The location is excellent for the atmosphere, but taking trips town or other attractions without a car was kind of inconvenient. Taxis were cheap, however. Also, make sure to bring beach towels down, as the resort convenience store doesn't stock them or much in the way of swimwear, and they don't let you use pool or room towels on the beach. Other than that, the resort is almost perfect and is definitely one of the best places to stay in Ensenada. We spent less than $1200 for travel to the resort from California, activites, food, and our resort stay for 7 days for two people, and we spent a lot. You could definitely do this trip for about a week for about $1000 for two if you took the bus across and didn't do much outside the resort. We had an amazing stay, and we will definitely be coming back!!!!

Rob

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are definitely worth it - the cheaper rooms are more of a walk away, but even t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Rob M
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Just spent a week at Estero Beach. We have been coming for years and years. The management is doing a fantastic job in maintaining this property. Yes, its a bit older, but the rooms are clean and the setting is fantastic. We did not experience the partying or fireworks, but yes, this is Mexico. Part of the charm. We ate at the restaurant most meals and we found it to be very good and better than most restaurants in town. The pool is beautiful, but the views are what we come for. Sea lions sunning on the sand. No security issues are problems. Mostly blown up by the press.

Room Tip: Get ocean view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank MayaChanBeach
Reviewed June 21, 2012

OK - remember that reviews are personal. I didn't like it, but my wife thought it was OK. In my opinion it had zero authenticity, a generic 'all-inclusive' feel, if you like that type of place you'll be happy here, if you also like noise, fireworks and partyers. I don't. After 3 weeks of mostly unique, charming small hotels, B&B's etc. across 3000 miles of Mexico, we stayed here for our last night in Mexico, and I still regret it. Too big and impersonal for me. I would think people who gave most of the places we liked bad reviews, would probably be looking for something like this. It was clean, safe and boring - unless you find being jarred by fireworks explosions exciting. I guess I'm just looking for a more authentic Mexican experience. Good Luck!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple