“Hot water? What hot water!”

Americas Best Value Inn - Posada El Rey Sol
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
Borrego Springs, CA
“Hot water? What hot water!”
Reviewed June 30, 2006

We made reservations on the Hotel's website in April for our June stay. We requested a balcony room. We arrived at 2 PM and the room was not ready. No problem as check in wasn't until 3 so we had lunch and came back at 3. The room was ready. When we got to the room it was barely bigger than our bathroom at home. It ws dark, no balcony as requested, and no closet space or dresser space for clothes. We asked for another room with balcony and were told they didn't have any. We decided to splurge and upgrade to the master suite. The room was big with a jacuzzi tub. Problem was you couldn't fill the tub or take a shower as there was no water pressue. The hot just trickled out. We called for someone to fix it and the manager came up to look that night. He said someone would fix it in the morning. When we got back late afternoon it still had not been fixed. We called again and someone came up and looked at it again and said he would check the pressue to the hotel itslef. At 6 PM when nothing had been resolved we went to the desk to complain again. This time a new person was there and she said they have had that problem for 2 years!!! So, we changed rooms again! This time to a junior suite with the balcony we had requested in the beginning! This room also had a smaller jacuzzi tub, but still not enough pressure to fill. By the time it filled the water was cold. Overall the hotel is in a great location, a bit noisey but not too bad. Walking distance to everything. Don't think we'd stay there again. We've stayed in several other Ensenada Hotels and this one rates the lowest with us.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank borregolinda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed June 2, 2006

If you want to reserve a room at the Best Value Inn in downtown Ensenada hotel, I would recommend calling them directly rather than using Expedia. I reserved 1 night through Expedia for late May. Wanting 2 beds, I selected a room description on Expedia that says "one queen, one queen" for $85, rather than another description that says "only one queen". Once at the hotel, I found out a room costing $85 has only one bed, and ended up being charged the peso equivalent of approximately $140 US for the room I had reserved. Expedia's reply to my complaint was that it "cannot guarantee that the rate will still be the same at the date you reserved your itinerary online until the time of check-in". (I reserved the room less than one month in advance.) For approximately the same price, I could have stayed at Bajamar and I believe I would have been happier.
The restaurant across the street from the Best Value Inn, called Rey Sol, had excellent food and service.

9 Thank tbrown
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 18, 2006

This is one of the great undiscovered motels of Baja California, a real Mexican posada. From the terra cotta flagstoned patio one looks up to three stories of rooms between each are beautiful tile work, and reached by a wonderful old glass enclosed elevator. The rooms are differently furnished with Mexican bedsteads and furniture, delicately painted pottery on the walls, some tin work, and often an Aztec painting. Bathrooms are modern but with lovely and extensive tilework and marble floors. Try the rooms on the third floor facing east and see the whole city laid you before you from thei tiny balconies. The very young front office staff were particularly nice and put up with my bad Spanish but would cheerfully lapse into English when I got stuck.

And just across the street is the Restaurant El Rey Sol, justly famous as one of the best in Alto or Baja California serving real French food in a beautiful dining room. French pastries and crepes suzettes to die for, snails and a fantastic zarzuela (sort of a cross between the delicious Mexican caldo and the French bouillabaisse). And don't forget the extensive breakfast which always attracts a large Mexican clientele. The omelet de mariscos was particularly tasty, and the orange juice fresh-squeezed. If you don't like weak "cafe Americano" (agua pintada) they will be happy to serve you an espresso or cappucino. The waiting is superbly professional.

The restaurant is on Avenida Lopez Mateos, the nicest tourist street I have ever seen- wide, clean, and lined with interesting shops and restaurants. This was reconstructed by the owner of the restaurant and posada, Arq. Jean-Loup Bitterlin (the posada was furnished by his daughter Jeanelle).

Not far away is the Valle de Guadalupe with a number of large wineries with tasting rooms and friendly and knowledgable staff.

Stayed March 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego , CA
Reviewed March 1, 2006

For the price, I'd say this resort is above average. Most wholesale vacation companies rate this property a 3 and for a 3, I'd say it's pretty nice.

LOCATION- Great Zone location. Nearby shops, dining, nightlife, etc. Within walking distance, or short ride from anywhere you'd want to go. 35 pesos for a ride to anywhere in Ensenada was the going rate when I was there. You could often get it for cheaper though if you tried.

DINING- There is one restaurant and one bar. The drinks of course were delicious and the food was fine too. The good thing about the menu was there were always other options... if you didnt' like the Mexican Food that day, you could order off the menu (French Cousiene). There was always something on the menu that was good. Great helado!!!

POOL- One pools, one hot tub. I was there in Jan. so the pools were pretty cold. One is pretty much in the shade all day long, so that one was really cold. we never really sat by the pool anyway. They do have nice pool furniture though. At about 4pm the hot tub would be full of people.. that was always fun. Grab a few drinks and sit in the hot tub...

ROOMS- Average rooms, they were always very clean. Lots of closet space. Good blow dryer. Our room had an airconditioner that worked VERY well... it would get so cold if we were to leave it on for even an hour or so. On the other hand, We had rooms on the first floor, which was great. Everyone room has a balcony or porch.

SERVICE- The wait staff at this property is very accomodating. We were all-inclusive and they wouldn't let us lift a hand.

CLIENTEL - Families, senior citizens, spring breakers.... a wide variety. Lots of California.

Have a great time in Ensenada. We sure did!

• Stayed January 2006
9 Thank Jerry R
tijuana
Reviewed February 26, 2006

We have just returned from a trip at the POSADA DEL REY SOL!!
The hotel is magnificent and we experienced such incredible service. We couldn't wait to get back to the peace and tranquility of the hotel.

Breakfast is a lovely, during the afternoon El Rey Sol (french food)IS GREAT!!!
The pool is lovely, not that we went swiming because at this time of the year is cold there. They even have a spa there!!

Overall I would say this is a great choice to stay at Ensenada Baja California Mexico!!!

4 Thank Melissa P
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed September 26, 2005

My husband & I stayed at Posada El Rey Sol in July 2005. I read reviews on TripAdvisor and did lots of research before we decided on this hotel. One thing we did know (even though we saw some other places that interested us) was that we wanted to be in town close to everything, which limited our choices.

We didn't make reservations in advance but decided to go check it out before checking in. We liked the appearance from the outside because it appeared quaint, with a nice Mexican flair. We asked to see a standard room, and I was shown two standard rooms and a junior suite-even though we had no intention of paying the junior ste. rates. The standard rooms were adequate, and I even checked the water pressure of each (since I have long hair, it helps!) and it seemed fine. The junior suite was nice-sized, had more decor, a nicer bathroom w/ a jucuzzi tub & separate shower, a loveseat, and small bar. When I arrived back at the counter to report to my husband, I told him about the junior ste. and the man behind the counter (manager?) told us he would give us that room for only $10 more than the standard--probably because of timing and empty rooms. We decided it was worth it and didn't regret it. Now keep in mind, our expectations are different for non-U.S. hotels, but we didn't have any major problems. I also made sure to ask for a remote at the counter, and they gave me one for the TV and one for the a/c. We ended up having to go back down with the TV remote a couple of times before we got the right one, but it wasn't a big deal because we weren't there to watch TV anyway. We decided we would definitely stay there again.

One thing you can't miss at this hotel is the bar that's hidden in the back. It's a great place to go even if you're not staying at Posada. We went for the margarita happy hour (and the earlier reviewer is right-they aren't very good), but while there we met Fernando who is the bartender who also runs the place. He's put a lot of effort into decorating the bar to give it a mexican flavor (which we love) and is also a great conversationalist. We intended to have a couple of drinks then go to dinner. Instead, we had a couple of drinks, switched to the "real" margaritas (which are great), had a little dinner made by Fernando himself, and didn't leave until the wee hours of the morning! He was a very sweet, intelligent man who could have intriguing conversation with anyone. This night will always stand out to us when we think of our trip to Ensenada. In fact, if you decide to try it out, tell Fernando you read about him on TripAdvisor. I told him I was going to give him a glowing review on TripAdvisor (because he deserves it), so he wouldn't go unnoticed in his hidden bar!

• Stayed July 2005
19 Thank carjunkmg
Indiana
Reviewed May 20, 2005

Okay, this is only a 2-star hotel, but if you want to stay in the city center, it's preferable to many of the alternatives. Most importantly, unlike many of the hotels in the central area, it is secure and quiet. I certainly would stay here again if I needed a place in the main tourist area of Ensenada.

• Stayed May 2005