“The nicest room at Ensenada”

Hotel Coral & Marina
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
Austin, Texas
“The nicest room at Ensenada”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I spent 120 per night at this hotel and believe me it worth every penny!!
Rooms well ventilated, cleaned, “well groomed” (if you know what I am talking about) and a warm and friendly staff from the entrance to the back door,, I best advice If you go to Ensenada, STAY THERE>>>>>>>

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HotelCoralMarina, Manager at Hotel Coral & Marina, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear John K:
Thank you for your amazing review! We so appreciate you sharing your wonderful comments with the Trip Advisor community. We hope to be able to welcome you back once again in the near future.
Rooms Division Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We just had the BEST experience at Hotel Coral & Marina (HC&M)!

We have stayed at HC&M on many occasions over the last 15 years, but this past weekend was certainly our most incredible!!

This was very important weekend because my husband and I brought my Mom (from Utah) and I wanted her to enjoy herself. Needless to say, she had SO much fun, she LOVED HC&M and Ensenada!

First and foremost, the staff at HC&M are incredibly friendly and remember us each time we return. The bellman have the warmest smiles and “hola”s which is a welcoming feeling as we come/go from the hotel. The front desk personnel are professional and quick to expedite our check in/out and special requests as if nothing is too much to ask for. The maid service keeps our rooms cleaned to perfection, often leaving a little token behind, like extra towels, chocolates or lovely bath products. The bartenders, if prompted, have terrific drink recommendations and are quick to notice if your glass is getting low.

But there is one employee at HC&M that stands out above the rest : Mr. Adalberto Villa. We were introduced last year. When I made our reservations for this visit I called upon him for his assistance – because I’d hoped we could do something special for my Mom. He did – and SO MUCH more. We travel often, not only to Mexico but other countries and we’ve never experienced this type of professionalism and special attention. Mr. Villa made our trip so memorable.

The rooms: We had two UNremodeled Jr. Suites. These are my favorite rooms in the hotel. They are well appointed and even though they are not as fancy as the remodeled suites, they are clean, comfortable and spacious. Nothing beats watching the cruise ships from our balcony come in on Saturday (7am aprox) with a warm cup of coffee and leave (6pm aprox). The bathrooms are very large, with big tub/showers, very clean. The toilet is separated with a door for privacy.

On Saturday night, we visited the Antares Restaurant, featuring Chef Juan Jose Gomez for a dual-celebratory dinner. It was my husband and my anniversary as well as my birthday. We started with the sautéed mushrooms – DELISH, cooked to perfection – still a bit crisp and not too much oil. I had the bacon wrapped shrimp for dinner, Mom had the scallops and husband had the steak. We ooohhed and ahhhed through each bite of our meals, EVERYTHING was so good and persentation was beautiful! I asked the Manager about a dessert that was no longer featured on their menu – it’s my favorite and even though they no longer carry it, they made it for me anyway! Wow, did I feel special. Their wine list is extensive, we chose the Roganto – it was DELICIOUS and complimented our meal beautifully. The waiters and hostess were the perfect mix of attentive, professional and fun.

When my husband and I returned to our room, we found the floors and bed lined with red rose pedals, large towel swans decorated our bed, L.O.V.E. spelled out in rose pedals. Romantic, romantic, romantic! Our best anniversary ever!

The Gym: We visited the gym both Saturday and Sunday morning. It included 3 treadmills, a newer elliptical, stationary incumbent bicycle, Stairmaster, some weights, a weight machine and an area to stretch with a fitness ball. The gym is encased in glass, so although there is a TV, there is a lot to see going on in the indoor pool and beyond. Lysol is provided to disinfect your machine when you are done and there is water machine, hot tea and apples available. After our workouts, we enjoyed a brisk walk along the Marina and getty, taking in the beauty of the morning ocean, the wildlife and the boats.

The indoor and outdoor pools are always kept beautiful and we often end our days in the large outdoor Jacuzzi. During the day they offer poolside grilled food and cocktails. The Jacuzzi at night tends to be social and is a nice place to have a conversation with other guests.

Parking: Covered, security parking manned by a guard and gate to enter/exit the hotel grounds.

Our hotel reservation included a Fast Track Pass (FTP). Last September we used the FTP and the wait was 90 mins at the border – when it had only taken 15-30 mins in the past. There were rumors that the program had been being overused by locals. This trip, it appears that this program has been streamlined (the hotel was required to register our license plate number with FTP before issuing us our pass) and we were through the San Ysidro Border in less than 30 minutes – On Easter / Semana Santa Sunday – which is unbelievable!! We were thrilled.

HC&M has always been a nice hotel. But now, with all of the remodeling / improvements, the high degree of professionalism among the employees and the terrific restaurant – it’s a world class hotel.

Our only regret – we didn’t stay long enough.

Normally we go to Cancun/Akumal for our summer vacation, instead we are strongly considering Hotel Coral & Marina.

I will post our 3 day itinerary under the TA ‘Itinerary’ section.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mrs_Naito
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I bought a voucher for a 2 night stay at the Hotel Coral. It was an all inclusive voucher including a couple's massage. It was absolutley wonderful and exactly what we needed. The massage was great and the food was some of the best food we have had anywhere. The service was impeccable and our room wonderful. We can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our time there. We did not want to come home!

Room Tip: There aren't any bad rooms. If you want a really spectacular view, choose a room like 501 with...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Susan W
Dear Susan W:
Thank you for your lovely review. My staff and I are all very proud of the facilities, amenities and service that we are able to offer our guests, but we always keep an eye towards the future and all the wonderful new little touches that we will be adding next! I very much appreciated your kind comments about our restaurants and spa. Your comments made our day….and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We went to Ensenada to celebrate an anniversay of friends, had not been down for a few years and planned to stay somewhere else and were told by a friend to stay here and could not have been more pleased, a staff member called when we were on our way down and asked if we wanted an upgrade from a Jr Suite to Master suite, we chose the Master Suite the view was beautiful the balcony was on 2 sides of the suite, the bedrooms had all the comforts and bathrooms outstanding. We love the stay and the staff could not have been nicer or more helpful, the hotel was spotless and the grounds well kept.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear carolynwalsh7:
Thank you for your wonderful review and for your visit to Hotel Coral & Marina. Our Master Suites are just the perfect accommodations for a group of friends or a family traveling together. Positive comments such as yours are a real motivation for all of us to continually work to ensure that every guests feels as well taken care of as you did. We look forward to welcoming you back to Coral & Marina very soon.
ok
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wifes first trip back to mexico in 20 years, she wanted a safe place with a high-end feel. I had visited last year and it was good, so came again with her. It has a guard shack on the road, and a very Sheratonish feel on the inside. Very nice, both for business or pleasure.

The staff all speak English, I think my only complaint would be that the website is not well laid out - some specials are per person, some for couples. An English speaking webmaster could help them in about 30 minutes. It was tricky to figure out if I wanted to go on a tour or other package.

BUT. that being said, the hotel is nice, its clean, its safe, has very good food and the staff is top notch. I would add that while this would be a Sheraton in the states, the staff would be much higher quality. 5 out of 5. For Northern Baja Mexico, its one of the best.

You can feel safe bringing kids here, or making this the jump off point for hanging out in Baja or En Senada. We spent the week exploring En Senada and wine country from this hotel.

The rooms are much larger than you would find in the states, and like I said the food is good here as well. The views and vibe at the property are very relaxing.

The only downside might be that it is a bit of a drive from Ensenada (Not bad), but to me I would rather be away from tourist area and have this hotel. A cab is $ 5.00 us from here to most places in En Senada. There are also some nice eating places within walking distance. It has free wi-fi that is very stable.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade when checking in, I would also recommend asking to stay away from Elevator.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear OkJustjeff:
Thank you for your glowing review from your recent visit to Ensenada with your wife. Certainly, Hotel Coral & Marina and Baja are safe places to stay for all travelers. We are delighted that you enjoyed an amazing stay at Coral & Marina and explored the wine experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for our website layout. I'll forward your comments to our Marketing Team so they can take a deeper look. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back many more times in the future.
Rooms Division Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The only reason I am not giving it a completely negative review was because of the great service we had ONE time at the restaurant downstairs. We drove down from San Diego to spend a week down here, as we had never been before. The rooms on their website look 10 times much better than what we ended up with. The living room was really big but the couch was completely falling apart. The TV was about 20 years old. The two seats that were out on the terrace were falling apart as well. Our bedroom was enclosed in the room. Our window opened out into the hallway.. so whenever someone walked by or spoke, we could hear it clearly. Obviously making for a difficult nights sleep.
Not knowing how chilly it would be down here, we packed bathing suits and were surprised that the temperatures topped 70 in August! None the less there were many people splashing around the pool. Not the hotels fault of course, but just added to the misery of the trip.
I did use the Spa for a few treatments. The massage and facial I had were OK. The girl at reception was very awkward... she really only knew how to check in people to use the gym. It was as if no one had ever tried to use their spa before. I stood around awkwardly for a good 20 minutes waiting for my masseuse to come get me. When I had my manicure and pedicure in a different section of the spa, the girl who was treating me actually stopped when one of her friends came over and started showing her the jewelry she had for sale, and even put in an order! It was quite a bizarre experience.
On the other hand, the view from the balcony is really pretty. So it was nice waking up to that in the morning.
The restaurant downstairs has pretty good food actually and some of the mexican wines we tried weren't bad. One night we had exceptional service (unfortunately forgot the waiters name) but after that service was so-so.
We ended up going into town quite a bit. There are a lot of cute restaurants to check out. Not much for shopping really... unless you are looking for souvenirs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie P
Laguna Niguel, California, United States
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our family frequently visits this hotel, by frequently I mean at least 10 times a year. We have been loyal customers for years and have loved the service and the serenity of the hotel. They have a great view of the pool and harbor. My boyfriend and I (I'm 25 and he's 30) have been there alone and have also enjoyed our visit.

HOWEVER, we were just down there and noticed that the food at the restaurant is NOT what it used to be. It definitely is "Mediocre" as one of the previous reviews mentioned. The buffet food is not the same (flavor wise) and there used to be fresh squeezed OJ, but now its concentrate.

We are VERY disappointed because we have always recommended their food and buffet and unfortunately we'll be going somewhere else to eat. Overall, service is good, hotel is nice and we enjoy our stay.

Room Tip: 6th floor has remodeled suites.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family