“Very good hotel for Ensenada”

Hotel Coral & Marina
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
Dorado, Puerto Rico
“Very good hotel for Ensenada”
Reviewed June 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed here while in town for the Baja 500. The hotel is very good for Ensenada, but we paid way too much for our room on Friday and Saturday night. The rate was so high because of the Baja 500 but by the time we booked we had few decent options. We booked a junior suite because it was all they had left. Check in was quick and easy which we were grateful for as we arrived very late. The suite has a huge living room and a giant balcony with two chairs and a table. The living room has a wet bar and large counter. The bedroom which is fairly small is right off of the entryway and has a door and closet. The bathroom is right next to it. The bathroom is large with a large tub shower. The toilet is in it's own little room but it's so small that the door can't open all the way and sort of makes for tight maneuvering. The room decor is nothing exceptional but it's decent. I will say that the bed was actually pretty comfortable with a blanket and comforter instead of the standard questionably clean and slick bedspread. The AC worked great and the lighting in the bathroom was very good. The bathroom counter was nice and large for spreading out toiletries. We didn't spend any time at the hotel so I cannot comment on the amenities there. The view of the marina from our room was very pretty and the restaurant looked very nice, and I believe they served a large breakfast buffet. My only complaint aside from the room rate was the noise. All of the doors to the rooms are outside and the flooring is bumpy tile. So whenever anyone rolled luggage across the floor, between the bumpiness of the tile and the acoustics of all the hard tile and walls, it was insanely loud. Also, the acoustics just amplified everyone's conversations and movements. I woke up at one point certain someone was trying to plow the walkway. Parking is very secure with a garage and a gated entry to the hotel. It is a little bit outside of the city center on the water, so if you're looking to be near the action, this is too far away. There is a fantastic restaurant nearby named Sano's which I highly recommend. Our team ate there, and everyone agreed the food was really, really yummy. Not cheap, but really yummy. All told, I would stay here again if the rate was not as expensive.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lexie99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I liked the hotel amenities, they have a spa and decent gym equipment, plus I went for a relaxing jog in the marina area. The jacuzzi is ok, but the indoor lap pool is a great idea since it was chilly out when I went. The restaurant is good, I ordered the ceviche as an appetizer and was pretty impressed. They have a shuttle to downtown Ensenada which can be really happening on weekends but we decided to stay and rest this time.

Room Tip: Book well in advance to get the room you want
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank vquinon
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 20, 2011

My husband and I and a group of friends went to Hotel Coral and Marina to stay for the Rosarito / Ensenada ride.

I've been staying at Hotel C&M for nearly 20 years and the hotel has ALWAYS been beautiful, but over the last 5 years I have seen a dramatic improvement in service and staff. The bell boys are absolutely the NICEST and most helpful. When prompted, they are willing to tell you all about the best 'local' restaurants (and Ensenada is CHUCK full of International Gourmet delights) places to go and things to do. Professionalism is over-the-top!

The 2nd GREATEST aspect about Hotel C&M is that most of the rooms are Junior Suites, so you have a very large separate bedroom and living area. These also come with a bar area, coffee maker and mini fridge. All rooms are ocean/marina view with a balcony.

Parking is secured. Cab rides are around $7 ea way into/out of town (5 mins).

Both nights we had tacos next door to Hussong's. These are the BEST in the city, and that says alot because there is some GREAT Mexican food in Ensenada (French too, El Rey Sol). After we are filled up, we stop for a nightcap at Hussong's...the oldest bar in Mexico. You can feel the history when you are there.

While hubby and friends did the bike ride, the girls and I drove over to wine country (30 mins inland). We've been there several times, but each and every visit I am in awe of the spectacular beauty and the international foods and wines that are available. Due to low crowds, many of the vintners are pouring their own wines in the tasting rooms...Does it get any better? The person GROWING the wine is right there at your disposal to ask all the questions you would like answered about the wine, and how it was developed. The wines are improving leaps and bounds each year and it's hard to resist taking more than one bottle back per person to the states, since wine of the same caliber in the US costs about 200% more i.e. the 2006 La Cetto Nebbiolo, 2007 Malagon Equua .

For lunch, we were referred to Hacienda Guadalupe. The restaurant/hotel is new and modern with the most beautiful wine cabinet (huge) I think I've ever laid eyes on. The food was gourmet+, the view takes your breath away and the wine bottle lined pathways made us smile. This is a great place to go for a variety of tastings from the Guadalupe Valley.

Since hubby was out on the ride I think it only fair that we return VERY, VERY soon so I can show him my new discoveries :)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mrs_Naito
Cardiff by the Sea California
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I worked in Baja for four years and have stayed in Ensenada serveral times for both work and pleasure. The Hotel Coral is the one of the better hotels in Ensenada area. A good experience starts as soon as you enter the grounds, gated entrance, a welcome, secured parking, security guard, nice lobby, nice pool, view of the marina, decent rooms, full service restaurant, full bar, spa, many bi-lingual staff. The only reasons I wouldn't choose this hotel more often are price and location. When I am not vacationing and using the full services they offer there are many lower cost options. While I have taken the very long dusty walk and bicycled to downtown, I don't think most would be willing to. So, you need to take a cab downtown, or be willing to roll the dice with taking and parking your own vehicle. Checking into this hotel with the wife would not be a mistake and believe me some of the hotels in Ensenada are BAD with sanitation or security concerns. From the border if you drive the toll road from Tijuana to Ensenada you get some beautiful views of the coast and some points of interest to stop at. If you drive via Tecate you go through the vineyards and wineries so a whole different experience. South of town, La Buffadora (The blowhole) is somewhat interesting. Hope you have a great trip.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ElGuapo49
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 15, 2011

It all started with the front desk agent. We were playing a joke on one of our friends that involved him believing that our reservation was lost and there was no availability. The guy at the desk (so sorry I can't remember his name!!) promptly got on the phone and talked to a dial tone for a couple minutes as our friend fumed. We all laughed, and the guy immediately offered us free upgrades to suites.

We came down here due to a sweet deal offered on "The Daily Save" in San Diego. Note that this hotel always has a number of specials on their website as well. Now, typically if a hotel or restaurant knows that a guest is going to be high maintenance and is going to take major advantage of free food and drink all weekend, the service would be sub-par at best (think Spring Break in Cancun!). Quite the opposite - we were treated like VIP celebrities at every turn. The pool bartender, the waiters, the porters, the front desk agents - they all knew us by name and went out of their way to accommodate our every whim. We loved our experience there so much, we barely left the hotel for town.

The only negative thing that we experienced at the hotel was a broken toilet, which flooded our bathroom twice. However, things like this are nobody's fault, so I can't fault the hotel.

If you're hesitant to travel to Baja because of safety concerns, please be assured that the route down to Ensenada is perfectly safe. As you pass TJ, it's a quiet coastal road all the way to Ensenada. We felt totally safe in town, and the hotel was everything that you would expect out of a 4* American hotel. On the way back, we traveled through wine country in the Guadelupe Valley, and crossed back over into the US via a quiet border crossing at Tecate. It was absolutely delightful!!

I whole-heartedly recommend the hotel for a great weekend getaway!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jenleong
Panorama city
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Overall this place was beautiful, and they are upgrading the look of rooms so its becoming even better, had indoor and outdoor pools and jacuzzis, bars as well and excellent service, food is really good, buffet is amazing! Would recommend it to anyone

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ronidarko
Whittier, California
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Stay at the Hotel & Marina over the weekend for the Ensenada Carnaval. Have to start by saying that the staff was great! Every one was very attentive and informative about the festivites. We stayed in a jr. suite and it didn't disappoint. The furniture and the decor is a little dated but sufficed our needs for the weekend. The room was clean and spacious. The outside pool was very COLD, however the jacuzzi didn't dissapoint, neither did the pina colada's. :) The sunday brunch was limited and overpriced; nothing really to rave about. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay again at the Hotel & Marina.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple