“Enjoy the trip back in time”
Review of Hussong's Cantina

Hussong's Cantina
Ranked #1 of 10 Nightlife in Ensenada
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Legendary expatriate bar where literary greats would share ideas over drinks: now a place where you can get drunk, feign pretension and buy a touristy T-shirt to commemorate your trip.
Ocoee, Florida
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Enjoy the trip back in time”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I enjoy the fact that they seem to have kept the old look of the place. It did feel like we were in old westerns. Having a margarita in the middle of the afternoon seems to be the thing to do when visiting this place.

Visited August 2012

Madrid, Spain
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Emblematic place in this small town...”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is one of the few places where everyone that comes in gets lost in it's atmosphere and travels back to those days where a cold beer and good music was enough to enjoy a "cantina".

It has a huge bar that extends from the entrance to the backdoor, lot's of pictures from locals and foreigners serve as wallpaper for the Hussong's cantina as a remembrance of all the good times had in this place. A reasonable price beer and you can bet you will enjoy mariachi or norteño music on someones else's expense... it's a must for anyone that visits Baja!

Visited June 2012
Rosarito, Mexico
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Came for the History Stayed for a Beer”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I don't drink that much and I definitely don't drink in the middle of the afternoon, but I made an exception as I found myself at the famous and quite historic Hussong's Cantina.
I fell in love with the place as soon as I walked in.
I was inspired to have a bar fight like in the old movies, but just for fun... you know... cuz that 's what you do in these old western bars... ;)
If the year were anything closer to 1890, I would have been kicked out just for being a woman, but there I was sitting up at the bar soaking in all the details I could- while under the influence of just a little bit of the ol' alcohol.
The stout barman had a sharp and particular wit. All these beautiful characters came up selling trinkets or services. One of my guides at the time opted to employ the service of a tiny shoe shiner.. We had to shoo away the Mariachis, though. They would have been too much to deal with. I even found that the barflies would tell you their stories if you asked... Just take all they say like a Margarita- with a bit of salt at the rim..
For me, Hussong's is a place to sit and experience history, get inspired to do a bit of writing, sketching, that sort of thing. I did not have a Margarita when I went on that trip as an excuse to have to go back a second time for an even richer experience.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank Zilya
Sacramento, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Love the place, hate the musicians.”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I'd been looking forward to relaxing at this famous old place for my entire trip, but the time was completely spoiled by the constant pestering by the parade of musicians stopping at our table trying to get some cash for a song. We didn't even finish a single drink before being driven out of the bar and down the street to another to escape the barrage of guitar, trumpet, violin and even a standing bass players that approached our table, one after the other. Without exaggeration, in the ten minutes we were there, we were approached more than twenty times. We're sympathetic to the fact that these men are trying to earn a living and did pay one man to play a couple of songs, but after that, geez, we were there for a break...give us one!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank SillyBlonde
Edmonton
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Birthplace of the Margarita”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We actually went in Sept 2010.
This place was amazing! Such a rich background and story being the bar.
The Margarita's were strong, and tiny.
My fiancee, father in law and I each had 2... I cant recall what we paid, but if I recall 270 pesos.
Can't wait to go back to Ensenada and Hussong's!

Visited September 2011