“The last option........” 2 of 5 bubbles

RESTAURANT AND BAR 90%

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Laguna Beach, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

I should have known it was going to be a bad experience when I saw the lobby, but it was late and everything else was booked and the bellman at the Hotel Corona (which gets good reviews) said that it had just been remodeled. Not sure what his definition of "remodeled" was (I did see a few freshly painted walls here and there) but obviously it's different than mine. Room was pretty bad but not terrible (at least not at first) so I just went to sleep since I had a long drive the next morning. When I went to shower the next day, I stepped on the white bath mat and then saw a black footprint on it, which turned out to be my own. I did a quick look and saw that the bottom of both each of my feet was black with dirt (I had picked it up while walking on the carpet). Wow. I was then treated to a cold shower (no hot water). Get me out of here!!

As I shivered in the cold shower, I kept telling myself "enjoy, you're on vacation". Hardly! Not even in desperation would I stay here again. The only positive feature was the wireless internet in the room (free), but I could have accessed that at the Starbucks down the street. And the place doesn't look that bad from the street, but facades can be deceiving. There's a reason this place is at the bottom of the TripAdvisor list of hotels in Ensenada; unless they knock it down and start over, it's likely to stay there. The only good thing about staying here is the distinction that I have finally stayed at hotel at the bottom of the TripAdvisor list.

Room Tip: Go down the street to another hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank gallesram

Travelers are raving about these Ensenada hotels

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2011

We actually were there on Feb 13-14 2010; and we stayed at the presidential suite. We loved the suite so much we end up staying there the day/night if u know what I mean!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

I found this hotel in Expedia, and I was going to buy it thru it but when I tried, it said it wasn't available, so I called the hotel and kind of got the same fare so I reserved... we were received by a rude guy completely unproperly dress to be in a hotel front desk. The guy was extremely rude (didn't ask the name but it was on Friday August 7th, around 7 PM). I noticed there were a lot of people like waiting to be assisted, maybe they had high occupancy. We were given a regular key with nothing on it, and walked by aisles that resemble a hookers' motel in Tijuana. This place advertises as a Resort or something like that. I can deal with anything, but not unsanitary premises. The room was awful, terrible, the carpet had ugly smuges like oil or blood, but when I accessed the balcony, it was hell, there were like a couple dozens cigarrette butts on the floor, all over, the sliding door had fingerprint smudges ... what the hell?? I couldn't believe, I went immediately to the front desk and the rude guy didn't even talk to me, the only kind person in this hotel was a young short guy, a bell boy, he personally went to our room to clean the balcony, but no the unpleasent and dirty sldiing door, which stayed with those smudges thru all of our stay.

I would had changed hotels but the Vendimia, Wine Festival, was this past weekend, so I thought that I wasn't going to find another hotel, and since I didn't buy it thru Expedia, there was nothing I could do. The bell boy told me there manager was a "gringo" but I couldn't ever meet that gringo... he was never there.

The hotel pool area is OK, but it has 2 jacuzzis that their water is always yellow.

The parking lot is another pain in the butt, it is incredible small for all the Americans with huge SUV's, so it was a nightmare and it didn't have enough spots for all guests so, if you had to leave you may find later that you had to park on the street.

Do yourself a favor and don't ever stay here,

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank SanDiegoFito
wwwCostaBajaHotelcom, Manager at Costa Baja Condo Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2010
I am sorry to hear of the unpleasant experience. Beginning in 09 and continuing throughout 2010 new management is implementing changes and improvements in every aspect of the hotel operation since it was transferred from previous ownership and management. The specific front desk agent that was referenced is no longer employed by the hotel and additional process' and training is underway to improve customer satisfaction.
Some areas of the property have already been renovated such as the pool deck, restaurant, bar, and some guest rooms that are now designated as Deluxe. Our Standard Guest Rooms and some common areas are pending renovation and will be completed in 2010. The underground parking garage is small for large SUVs but does provide a level of security that only one other hotel in Ensenada can provide. Pre-reserved parking spaces can be arranged.
Again, I am very concerned that the experiences was unsatisfactory and improvements in the areas mentioned and more are underway to transform the guest experience at our property.
If I can assist further please contact me directly at arowland@costabajahotel.com
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2004

Following a work assignment in San Diego, made a spontaneous weekend trip to Ensenada. After bouncing off a couple of hotels without vacancies, got a room at the 50+/- unit 4-story Costa Baja Inn (aka the Costa Baja Hotel), located at Boulevard Lazaro Cardenas #1536 in Ensenada. As long as you're a walker hotel is conveniently located approximately 2 blocks south of the cruise terminal, an equal distance from the shop, bar, and restaurant lined Avenida Lopez Mateos, and within an easy walk of the Malecon and fish market.

Aside from the convenient location, the major attribute the hotel's got going for it is that the $65-75 room was clean and well maintained. The downsides are the same room is a generic motel box, without any character or charm. When we checked in, the room was equipped with a couple of bars of paper-wrapped soap, a single packet of shampoo, and a disposible razor which we avoided as a possible leftover from the past guest. The following day, however, a full collection of toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, lotion) appeared along with bottled drinking water, leading us to wonder just how the room was supposed to be outfitted.

The real downsides, and reason's I'd recommend against staying at the property were:

1. Room service, which is provided by the "Las Bajas" Restaurant and Bar sited on the property was terrible. The person answering the phone, which turned out to be the restaurant manager was rude, refusing to discuss what fruit was available at breakfast, curtly stating "I'm busy". The order delivered was not what ordered and the same restaurant manager hotly disputed the problem and then dispatched a hulking son to the room to "see what the problem was".

2. Monday morning at 9 AM sharp a cacaphony of power saws and drills buzzed to life as renovation work was being performed on a room down the hall. A complaint to the front desk yielded nothing but the vague assurance the noise would stop "in just a few minutes" (it was still going on an hour later).

At check out, a complaint both about the room service problem and the noise issue yielded nothing more than a blank stare from the so-called "assistant manager" at the reception desk.

13 Thank Caffiend