“No Surf...But Still Had a Great Time!”

SoloSports Adventure Holidays
More attraction details
Owner description: Punta San Carlos enjoys world class surfing, windsurfing, kiteboarding, mountain biking, kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, hiking, fishing and more!
Huntington Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“No Surf...But Still Had a Great Time!”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was told about Solo Sports, Punta San Carlos adventure camp, last year by a couple friends who had made the trip in August, 2011. They couldn't say enough great things about the place.
So, with that, we decided to go in August, 2012. None of us are windsurfers or kite surfers...surfing is our thing...The place has a great set up with three point breaks and a couple reefs. My friends scored some fun surf all to themselves on their first trip and we had high hopes of a repeat performance...Unfortunately, we arrived AFTER a good swell and BEFORE another bigger one...For us, we had lake-like conditions...Totally flat for the entire time we were there. Now, I've been surfing for almost fifty years and have been on my share of surf trips...I know that surf is never guaranteed...especially, when you plan a trip months in advance for a certain date. With that said, we still had a terrific time! We hiked, ate like kings, enjoyed great libations and were treated as if we were staying at a five-star hotel...One of the highlights of the trip was an escorted tour of some of the many archeological sites in the area. Each day, we awoke hoping a small swell had arrived. And, each day were disappointed to see it hadn't...however, none of us were disappointed with the camp, the staff and the hospitality shown to us by everyone involved with the operation...Would I go back? YOU BET...Surf or no surf, it's well worth the visit.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Len395
Kevin T, Owner at SoloSports Adventure Holidays, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thanks Len, you forgot to mention that you make a mean Manhattan! In fact, I would have to say you are the best guest bartender we've ever had here in camp! Who else would travel with his own shaker and martini glasses, a true trained professional complete with epic stories! Just give us a little time to recover and come on back down, awesome having you in camp my friend! KT~

Naples,Italy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Spectacular ..!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I spent some time @ SoloSports and I really have nothing more to say then < amazing place>...!! full nature, a great camp , one of the best wave on the planet right in front of you and Kevin and his crew are just fantastic. You can also choose to get there by plane ( if you do not want to drive)....it will cost you a little more....but if you're lazy or don't have enough time...you can do it! We really enjoy the drive every time we go there, it's a way to disconnect from the normal life.If you do not want to bring your boards,sails, etc.etc, in the camp you can find great gear; also great food prepared daily from the Solosport chefs and @ Sunset time a nice cold drink called Baja-Fog...( get there and try it)...-). You also have amazing mountain bike trails and ....nice bikes! well.....I really suggest you get down there as soon as possible and get hold of Kevin...you can tell him I sent you!...-) ...lol.....

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Marasco
San Diego
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Awesome Again”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Once again, an amazing week. We had a bit of everything from small to overhead waves with wind everyday. Start the day on the water with a SUP and/or a mountain bike ride on one of the excellent SoloSports provided bikes. I rode new single track trails everyday or used one of the SUP boards prior to my mid day / afternoon sessions on the water. Good food, good people, good vibe. Kevin & his team really try to accomadate, even pulling off a deluxe fireworks show on the 4th! Thanks again & looking forward to my next visit.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank RRSD
Escondido, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“One of the top 3 spots in the world to wavesail!”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Let Solosports do it for you. Save your energy for all that Punta San Carlos has to offer!

Visited March 2012
2 Thank TimKasten007
San Francisco
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“I left my heart in Punta San Carlos”
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I had heard about Punta San Carlos for years. I kept thinking...yes...someday I will go there and see if it is really that great. Could it really live up to its reputation as being one of the best wavesailing spots in the world? Could the food really be that good? Was there really enough to do if the wind didn't show up? Could I sleep comfortably in a tent for two weeks? And what was that about an open bar??! It all sounded just too good to be true.

But it IS true!! I finally made the trip for the first time in April of this year. My husband and I wanted to go to Matt Pritchard's wave camp (which is another whole level of awesomeness) so we went for two weeks. Everything about Solo Sports and Punta San Carlos is amazing. From the minute you arrive there is windsurfing, surfing, stand up paddling, mountain biking, great food and drinks, and friendly people...every day is an adventure. You do sleep in tents, but they are really nice tents, and really comfortable.

Kevin and Kathy have created a great destination camp resort and strive to make everyone welcome and happy. There is plenty of really nice gear, ready to use. They have a great staff and you can't help but become friends with everyone. It's just a really special place.

I loved it so much that I went back by myself in September for two weeks to practice my wavesailing, SUP surfing, and mountain biking. It's the type of place where you can go with a group and have a great time... or go by yourself, not knowing anyone at first, and you will still definitely have a great time! You just don't know until you go!!

P.S. - I have more years under my belt than I like to admit, am a very experienced windsurfer but a novice wavesailor, a beginner/intermediate mountain biker, and a vegan. You do not have to be an extreme athlete to enjoy this place, eat great food, improve your skills in one or more sports, and let the beauty of PSC into your heart!

Visited September 2011