All reviews great view dive shop upper town laura cats pets dust paradise surf sound habitat statia diving proximity hillside
Reviewed April 10, 2016 via mobile

Stayed here some time back for a day during onwards journey and had good time here. There are so many lobsters on this island that all my meals some part had to be of lobster. Resort keepers take good care of guests and if i get chance again surely will like to visit once more.

Date of stay: July 2015
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank AmitChanda29
Reviewed February 27, 2016

My husband & I have done quite a bit of island travel over the years. We don't like posh cookie cutter hotels. What we like is to be close to the beach, able to walk to restaurants, local attractions & mingle with local people. I don't think you could possibly fall in love with Kings Wells or appreciate it if you only stayed a night or two. Win & Laura have spent a lifetime building this very special place. My memories are fond & treasured. I've always been in love with water of any sort so the Ocean View room was important to me. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by Laura & shown to our room. It was spacious, the bed was comfy, the shower was plenty hot, the AC worked fine to keep things cool during the day & the view stunning. Normally I don't sleep well on the first night of any new place but that night with the doors wide open ( no one is going to bother you ) & the sound of the surf I fell sound asleep. Laura greeted us next morning with a smile & a good breakfast served on the veranda overlooking the sea. Breakfasts are basic but that's what we like. Pancakes, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, delicious whole grain toast, a good pot of tea & plenty of fresh fruit. For us to be able to sit there with that gorgeous sea view along with 3 kinds of humming birds in abundance & at least 6 sugar birds what a way to start the day. We love animals & to have a vacation that came with 2 awesome Great Danes to love & cuddle made our day. We miss Alex & Cheyanne but know they live in paradise. We love cats too. From the trio of calicos that we called the kitchen kitties to the very special orange tabby that visited each night on our porch they also made our day. I love to read & pet a cat & that's what I got to do in the evenings. Last but not least the awesome macaws with their antics mornings & evenings. There was also a very large iguana that hung out on a tree limb right below our balcony. We enjoyed spotting him. Our daily walk to the beach or dive shop was safe & enjoyable. Walking to town was simple & close also. Statia is a place that is still safe, quiet, peaceful & unspoiled. Win & Laura were smart to pack it up & live their dream. We got to chat often with Laura & a kinder lady there couldn't be. Wish Win would have been in better heath while we were there but we did enjoy the few conversations we were able to have with him. The memory of the love, kindness, peace & beauty of & surrounding Kings Wells will stay with me for a lifetime. Special people & special animals. No this place isn't for everyone. What I described may not be for the perfectionist or non animal lover. That's okay cause we're all different. If what I described appeals to you then stay for while at King's Wells & immerse yourself in paradise.

Room tip: I would ask for upper floor with an ocean view.
Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
7  Thank jshigh
Reviewed January 25, 2016

Win and Laura are just the nicest people you can imagine - after only three days there we felt like part of their family. There are a number of longer-term or repeat guests staying at Kings Well who also make everybody else feel at home and this gives it a wonderful atmosphere. There are animals galore - two great danes (one quite the largest dog I've ever seen), lots of cats and several macaws flying free, so if you're squeamish about animals and a bit of fur around then this may not be the place for you, but otherwise they also make the place lively and fun. The food is great - dinner was the best we had on the island - filet of grouper cooked one night in white wine and garlic and the next night blackened with pepper. The dining area is a lovely balcony with the sea just below. Make sure you get a sea view room - they're great.
It's not a luxury hotel - you pay the price you do because Statia is an isolated island, which means that living there and buying things and repairing things is very expensive. There are a couple of maintenance issues, but who cares, really, when you have such a caring and welcoming atmosphere, and wonderful views. We had the best visit to Statia, against our expectations, and would definitely come back. We visited two of the other hotels on the island out of interest, as we had lunch at one of them - but we would not consider staying at them - Kings Well is the place for us! (Old Gin House was pricey, unfriendly and had a huge open water tank behind it full of thousands of mosquito larvae, Golden Era is over-priced, dirty and awful atmosphere - oh and the pool was a mouldy yellow colour with scum around the edge).

Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Newbedouin
Reviewed November 20, 2015

Very nice hosts. Very helpful and friendly. The hotel has great potential, but unfortunately the property is not taken well care of. The rooms are not clean. A positive note is that Wim cooks excellent food! The view on the Caribbean and on Saba as well as on the fort of Oranjestad is terrific

Date of stay: November 2015
Reviewed August 24, 2015 via mobile

I've stayed with Laura and Win twice since 2008, most recently this month (Aug2015) with my partner. We had a wonderful stay.

The accommodations are comfortable and it feels just like home. Laura and Win are the most pleasant and welcoming hosts anyone could ask for.

We looked forward to our breakfast of fresh eggs and fruits every morning. The parrots and other pets only add to the loving and home-like atmosphere.

The views are absolutely stunning and I couldn't have asked for anything more to make my vacation wonderful and relaxing.

Compared to other accommodations on the island, Kings Well is the absolute best value. I'll never stay anywhere else when I visit.

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leah C