“Needs a spruce up but not that bad......”
Review of Kings Well Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St. Eustatius
Kings Well Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in St. Eustatius
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Solidly bulit Resort by owner ( not a company run establishment) especially for local weather conditions. Needs a little updating and painting here and there to spruce it up otherwise quite good value.Rooms are ok but need freshening up with a coat of paint but not that bad as to cause any concern. Owners very helpful with tips and suggestions. Food is really good and not expensive for what you get which is rare in the Caribbean as many other places are quite dear. Ocean views from seaside rooms are excellent for setting sun photography. You should enjoy birds and animals. Good to visit for between 2 - 3 days, a few more if you enjoy walking and don't miss going to and inside the Quill which is the dormant volcano on the island. Well worth it but you must be reasonably fit - climbing ropes are located in several places to assit those who want to reach the bottom. Abundant birdlife in the treetops and nice views of town and the island from where the night time beacon is located which is up a track to the left of the place where you go down into the crater.

Room Tip: Ocean View Rooms are good value
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I can't understand what some of the reviews on this site are saying. The only thing i agree with is of course that Win and Laura are nice people. But that is it. This is honestly the worst place i have ever stayed in my life. I entered my room (with Laura) at arrival only to find one of their cats ON THE BED. It managed to get in from one of the windows that was open. Laura kinda just dusted of where the cat was laying and asked sorry for that. The sheets and pillows are worn out to the MAX ! The place was filthy and just disgusting. NO PRIVACY. The place has an open balcony that connects the rooms to each other. Nice view of course but the windows are not covered with anything. So laying on your bed at night everyone that walks by in the balcony can just see you laying there. Also the doors on the inside have a lock. But you will not receive a room key as the doors do not lock from the outside. I just hated the feeling of not being able to lock my room when i left. I can keep on going with the bad stuff because there is just so much more. Win, Laura, please give it up. I was there for business and got laughed at by the locals when i told them were i stayed. I still cant believe I paid $150

Room Tip: NONE... I Stayed in there most expensive room and it was like that. So i cant image what the other r...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Roy H
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying for approximately 6 weeks at the King's Well and enjoyed the hospitality of Win and Laura. Both are special people who went out of their way to make me feel at home. This is place where the owners enjoy making new friends and making you feel at home during your stay. The view from the hotel over Oranje Bay is worth it!

My associate and myself had orginally planned to be in Statia for three weeks but our work required us to stay longer than anticipated. The hospitality made the extra time there enjoyable.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Bay enjoy a nice breeze during the day and evenings.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Don E
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We have just returned from our fifth visit to Kingswell, and we love it just as much as ever. Win and Laura are really friendly and helpful and the location is great. This is not a 5-star hotel - it is a small, family run hotel which evokes the spirit of Statia - laid back! The only comment I would make is that you must love animals to stay here. There are (currently) two dogs (Great Danes), five cats, and 9 macaus and they are part of the family here. We love animals and this is paradise for us. We have been lucky enough to be around when the four youngest cats were kittens - on three separate holidays - and they are all very special to us.
Breakfast is a simple affair - fruit, eggs (cooked to your taste) and toast, inside or out on the terrace overlooking the Caribbean, whichever you prefer. Win is a great cook. There is no fixed menu but I guarantee he will cook you something good.
So, if you are coming to Statia and you love animals, then we think Kingswell is the best place to stay on the island.

Room Tip: Ask for a seafront room - these are spacious the views are fabulous
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank little_fish_49
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Everything that was mentioned in teepees' review titled “sadly, way past its best.” I agree with. I would not recommend anyone to go stay at this place, but the people are friendly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank JomiUSA
Reviewed February 3, 2012

My son and I spent 4 very nice nights there while on the island for scuba diving with Scubaqua.

Don't picture Miami Beach high-rise resort or Jamaica All-inclusive because it is not corporate cookie-cutter in any way. Picture a hotel lovingly hand made and hand decorated, more like Swiss Family Robinson treehouse (on the ground) or Gilligan's Island. We loved it.

-Very pretty breakfast each day of eggs, toast, fruit and some ham or cheese outside on the veranda overlooking the Caribbean and watching humming birds drink from the flowers.

-I was worried about mosquitoes since the room had no screens and was wide open to the cooling breezes and ocean sounds. The owners said they had no mosquitoes because they have goldfish ponds scattered around the property and the goldfish eat all the mosquito larvae. They were right. It was great to live with no A/C and no bugs.

-The beds and bathrooms were very clean. The floors were oddly dusty, but other than that everything felt clean. Separately, the owners had complained that the nearby road construction (installing water pipes and fiber optic) created more dust than they thought existed in the world so it may have been a short term problem.

-Parrots, dogs, cats, chickens, goldfish. It was a real menagerie and all wandering around at will (well the fish pretty much stayed put, but everything else was free to wander.) If pets make you squirm then think twice. If you love animals, then welcome aboard.

-No locks on the door. Like on many islands with low populations, there is little or no crime. I actually worried less about the locals (who all seemed perfectly happy and crime-free) but more about some other traveler from the states who wanted to add to his laptop collection. But in fact had no problem whatsoever.

-The best meal we had on the island was the dinner we had here. Dinners aren't included, but breakfasts are. We opted to eat out most days to 'experience' the island. No need to wander though if you just want great food with a great view.

-WiFi was iffy. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. Other guests had success, we usually did not.

-We had a huge room with a nice balcony over the sea. The hotel was pretty empty when we were there (as was the entire island.) It was perfect for us since we wanted two beds (this was queen and a single) and most of the hotels on the island have just one queen or one king bed.

-We worried it would be hard to walk to the town (on top of the cliff) and to the scuba center (at the harbor below the cliff) but it was only a quick little walk (1/2 mile or less I guess) along wide roads with good shoulders and great scenery so it walking was no problem and was part of the fun. We walked from the town to the hotel in the dark after dinner most nights and had no worries or problems.

-We were swimming in the sea every day and didn't even look for the swimming pool. We randomly saw it on day 3 and it was empty but being filled. We didn't ask the reasons why so if you care about the pool you might double check when you make your reservations.

-Of course, as mentioned by every other commenter, the owners are extremely nice, helpful and happy people. It is worth going just to visit with them.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank ElectricalEngineer
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Win and Laura (the owners of the resort) did everything in their power to make my stay as pleasant as possible. I enjoyed the general atmosphere of the resort and the many animals around me. The breakfast with makau´s was a great start of the day. My room had a direct view over the Oranje Bay and was equipped with much needed air-condition. I hope that I find the time to go back. Win and Laura provide are good cooks and provide an excellent lunch and dinner for their guests.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the oranje bay + AC.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Golden Era Hotel
#4 of 4 in St. Eustatius
Queen's Gardens Resort & Spa
St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino

Been to Kings Well Resort? Share your experiences!