“Great 4 Night Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kings Well Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St. Eustatius
Kings Well Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in St. Eustatius
Boston
“Great 4 Night Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

My son and I spent 4 very nice nights there while on the island for scuba diving with Scubaqua.

Don't picture Miami Beach high-rise resort or Jamaica All-inclusive because it is not corporate cookie-cutter in any way. Picture a hotel lovingly hand made and hand decorated, more like Swiss Family Robinson treehouse (on the ground) or Gilligan's Island. We loved it.

-Very pretty breakfast each day of eggs, toast, fruit and some ham or cheese outside on the veranda overlooking the Caribbean and watching humming birds drink from the flowers.

-I was worried about mosquitoes since the room had no screens and was wide open to the cooling breezes and ocean sounds. The owners said they had no mosquitoes because they have goldfish ponds scattered around the property and the goldfish eat all the mosquito larvae. They were right. It was great to live with no A/C and no bugs.

-The beds and bathrooms were very clean. The floors were oddly dusty, but other than that everything felt clean. Separately, the owners had complained that the nearby road construction (installing water pipes and fiber optic) created more dust than they thought existed in the world so it may have been a short term problem.

-Parrots, dogs, cats, chickens, goldfish. It was a real menagerie and all wandering around at will (well the fish pretty much stayed put, but everything else was free to wander.) If pets make you squirm then think twice. If you love animals, then welcome aboard.

-No locks on the door. Like on many islands with low populations, there is little or no crime. I actually worried less about the locals (who all seemed perfectly happy and crime-free) but more about some other traveler from the states who wanted to add to his laptop collection. But in fact had no problem whatsoever.

-The best meal we had on the island was the dinner we had here. Dinners aren't included, but breakfasts are. We opted to eat out most days to 'experience' the island. No need to wander though if you just want great food with a great view.

-WiFi was iffy. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. Other guests had success, we usually did not.

-We had a huge room with a nice balcony over the sea. The hotel was pretty empty when we were there (as was the entire island.) It was perfect for us since we wanted two beds (this was queen and a single) and most of the hotels on the island have just one queen or one king bed.

-We worried it would be hard to walk to the town (on top of the cliff) and to the scuba center (at the harbor below the cliff) but it was only a quick little walk (1/2 mile or less I guess) along wide roads with good shoulders and great scenery so it walking was no problem and was part of the fun. We walked from the town to the hotel in the dark after dinner most nights and had no worries or problems.

-We were swimming in the sea every day and didn't even look for the swimming pool. We randomly saw it on day 3 and it was empty but being filled. We didn't ask the reasons why so if you care about the pool you might double check when you make your reservations.

-Of course, as mentioned by every other commenter, the owners are extremely nice, helpful and happy people. It is worth going just to visit with them.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank ElectricalEngineer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
NoInfo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

Win and Laura (the owners of the resort) did everything in their power to make my stay as pleasant as possible. I enjoyed the general atmosphere of the resort and the many animals around me. The breakfast with makau´s was a great start of the day. My room had a direct view over the Oranje Bay and was equipped with much needed air-condition. I hope that I find the time to go back. Win and Laura provide are good cooks and provide an excellent lunch and dinner for their guests.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the oranje bay + AC.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank chemistNoInfo
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2010

We are currently here for our second stay at Kings Well having been here last Christmas. I’m happy to say it hasn’t changed much and is the same friendly and laid back place.
If you are looking for triple A, air-conditioned 5 star luxury (and are prepared to pay for it) then go to Sandy Lane in Barbados. Kings Well isn’t for you. Statia isn’t for you. This is the Caribbean as it used to be before the invasion of all-inclusive luxury resorts and all the better for it.
The rooms are clean and simply furnished, the cliff-top location and sea breezes ensure that we never need air-conditioning . The bathroom is functional, the shower works and the toilet flushes, which is all that is required. Our room has access to wireless Internet and there is modern LCD TV with cable TV. We have a blacony with a view across the Oranje Bay where we sit with a cold beer and watch the sun go down.
Win cooks most evenings in the restaurant , his style is best described as “home cooking” but it’s good and you get plenty of it. Elf food (big plates, small portions) does not exist on Statia.
It’s important that you like animals if you stay at Kings Well as you are sharing the place with cats and dogs and the resident macaws.
If you are coming to Statia then Kings Well is probably the best place to stay on the island.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank /*--------*/
lancashire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2010

This is the most difficult review that I have written on Tripadvisor for reasons that will become apparant. We visited Statia to see my stepdaughter , Ella, in the midst of a 5 month stint of voluntary work for Stenapa and selected Kings Well after reading the reviews below. I had to phone Win and Laura a couple of times before our arrival and found them to be really helpful and friendly. Ella picked us up from the airport and took us to Kings Well. A quick look at the room had us thinking " just about OK" and I left Ella and her Mum to catch up and went to register with Win who is a genuinely lovely man, very easy to get on with and a mine of information about Statia. We were chin wagging along when I met Laura who is also a lovely lady. It was lunchtime so off Ella, my wife and I went off to lunch.
We returned later in the afternoon to our room and had a proper look round. Frankly it was pretty dismal with grey-white paint everywhere, peeling edge laminate flooring, very tired furnishings and bed/bed linen; just very run down in all ways. The shower room was was very old and tatty and seriously uninviting. Overall I would describe the room as dirty and its only saving grace was the lovely view from the balcony. It was pretty hot but the aircon could only produce a dribble of a little cool air. Stripping off for a nap and being promptly bitten by a mosquito was the last straw and we decided to look for alternative accomodation. We found the room very depressing. A quick look round the rest of the place confirmed our decision- the public areas are all run down and dirty including the pool area which was spattered with bird droppings and cluttered with very faded old sun loungers. The weather in the West Indies is very cruel to buildings and the essential maintenance was inadequate, piecemeal, haphazard and sloppy.
Laura was very sweet at our departure and didnt seem in the least put out or surprised at our leaving.
So why so difficult a review? Even in the short time we knew Win and Laura you could tell that they were genuinly lovely folks, and it pains me to be nasty to them, but having little or no staff and being over 70 they are really struggling to cope with this place. We were told that it is up for sale. Obviously writing a review like this cannot enhance their reputation but I believe that this is a forum for honest views and I could not think of staying for any length of time here and would only recommend it to people who are unconcerned by its short comings. If you are then I am sure that you will find Win and Laura to be wonderful hosts. Sorry Guys but it really is time to gracefully retire.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
11 Thank teepees
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

We chose King's Well and stayed for 10 days after reading the reivews and liked the family friendly atmosphere that was described. We were not disappointed.
My favorite of course were the animals, dogs,cats, birds, lizards and the like who would join us every morning for breakfast. Not to mention some of the locals who would stop by for coffee just to swap stories.The mckaws would also visit out balcony and loved the choclate chip cookies we fed them. I read in some reviews the mosquitos were bad and that was true but once feasted they seem to leave us alone.
We had chosen Statia as the natives call it, as my husband had done some research on my family tree and we decided to check out the graveyards. Win and Laura both coordinated our search and found us locals who could verify some history and show us around.
Be aware you are not going to a five star resort at best it has rustic charm but the company and location make up for what might be lacking in the accomodation. We are used to staying in fairly upscale properties but we would go back to Kings Well in a heartbeat. The view from our balcony' was spectacular. We have some incredible pictures of the sun setting over the water. Sitting there reading a book is all we needed after our hectic llifestyles back home.
We ate most of our meals at the resort as the food and the company are the best on the island. No need to go anywhere.
Our stay allowed us to enjoy Statia days where you could experience the old caribbean charm. The entertianment consisted of some professionals but mostly was a showcase for the talented children on the Island.This must have been what the caribbean of 50 years ago was before all the commercialism on the other islands.

If are looking to relax and enjoy the nature all around you this is the place for you.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TJTravellers
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

I’ve seen numerous mentions in guide books and postings that staying at the King’s Well with Win and Laura is like staying with family… and after my recent trip to Statia I can confirm those sentiments! I loved my stay here and it wasn’t just the hotel and restaurant that made the stay so wonderful. Win and Laura are Statia veterans and are always happy to share their knowledge of the island’s history as well as helpful advice on what to do and when best to do it. If I had a question for my dive shop or needed a taxi or a massage or wanted to try out a restaurant in town they simply picked up the phone and made a call. Some of my favorite moments were simply sitting with the two of them in their breezy bar/restaurant and chatting over a beer.

The Kings Well property has a spectacular view, one of the best on the island. (The Statia Lodge has a great view too, but is very far from the restaurants, dive shops, and beaches). Some reviews have mentioned that Kings Well not on the water but it’s right in the bend the road above the best beach. I just put on my snorkeling gear, headed out, and was in the water in three minutes. There are hotels closer to town but there’s a steep walk up the cliff required. The Kings Well’s walk to town involves a little more walking but very little of it is uphill. The rooms are simple and comfortable. I had a look at several and opted for the Seafront with a balcony. Rooms have refrigerators and cable TV (if you want it!) and several have air conditioning. My room had some great hardwood furniture, a bookshelf stocked with books, and the view from my balcony was fantastic. The water pressure left something to be desired but I understand that’s pretty much the nature of the beast on Statia. The lush grounds are perched on a terraced cliff and there are flowering plants, tropical trees and cacti everywhere. There’s also a pool (being refurbished when I was there but it looked like it would be good) and a Jacuzzi! There are a lot of critters there and they were one of my favorite parts. A couple huge Great Danes (but they’re older dogs, not at all “jumpy”), several cats, 8 macaws, a few escaped chickens, and many geckos and anole lizards. I’m told there are iguanas but I never saw them. Several of the macaws may join you for breakfast. Laura will make sure they don’t steal your sugar or pepper shaker!

The food is excellent. Win and Laura used to run a restaurant in Long Island and I ate quite a few meals there. Many of other Statia restaurants were closed for various reasons (Old Gin House, Blue Bead, Cool Corner, Local Restaurant) so I was fortunate to be staying at Kings Well. You do have to make reservations. The Kings Well can be quiet and sleepy at times and they need to know whether to fire up the kitchen or not. I had baked lobster, breaded conch steak (which they made just for me, ordering the conch when they heard I loved it), Jaeger Schnitzel (Win is German and this was delicious!) and a greek salad that had homemade dressing and was wonderful. I’m not used to having good salads in the Caribbean. Also, breakfast comes with your stay. They have their own chicken coop so eggs are fresh and they’ll make’em any way you want them. Breakfast of scrambled eggs, ham, toast with guava jam, several fruits… while sitting on a patio over the ocean with macaws perched nearby… that was magical.

I want to take a quick moment to laud some other places. Golden Rock Divers: They are fantastic! Relaxed, uncrowded boats, knowledgeable and helpful staff… they dive what you want! Ocean View Terrace: Beautiful view and great food. Frankie’s Place and Willie’s: GREAT local food. Fruit Tree: great little bar and restaurant… I had excellent pasta one night (and I’m a picky New Yorker). Want a professional massage? Call “Veronique”. Ask for her at Scubaqua, Golden Rock Dive, or King’s Well. Fantastique! OK, back to the Kings Well:

PROS: Amazing view. Shady garden setting. Excellent food on premises. Honor bar. Friendly and knowledgeable hosts. Great air conditioning. Jacuzzi. Secluded location.

CONS: Mosquitoes (but I came right after a huge rainstorm, so maybe not normally a prob?) Noisy Friday nights thanks to the proximity of the Smoke Alley bar (but that’s the only night).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Brighton, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

We had been to St Eustatius in 2006 and said we would return for the Salute to the USA, we made it back in November 2009 for the Salute. We stayed with Win and Laura the first time at King's Well and made great friends with them. The critters are great, the diving the best and the co-ordination with our itinerary was great. No better keepers than Win and Laura. The food was great, the company the best and the common dining room makes for the best place to meet the rest of the world. Great things don't last forever so don't wait to long!!!!
Don and Deb, Joe and Nancy

#1 of 3 in Windwardside
Belle Mont Farm
Belle Mont Farm
#1 of 7 in Basseterre

Been to Kings Well Resort? Share your experiences!