“Late booking”

Ranked #1 of 1 Bishopstone B&B and Inns
Wirral
“Late booking”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We needed to return home from France quickly,so the booking was made only 48 hours in advance. We wanted somewhere close to the ferry terminal, and Ab Fab rooms was an excellent choice, we watched the return ferry arrive in Newhaven next morning from our room.
Despite our late arrival we were warmly welcomed by Steve and shown up to our room
We were given a jug of iced water, fresh milk for drinks, and as well as flap jacks Steve supplied us with freshly baked Blueberry muffins, just what we needed after a long drive across northern France and a four hour cross Channel journey.
Our room was comfortably furnished, and very clean. We both need a quiet room to sleep, and despite the proximity to a busy road it did not disturb us.Breakfast the next morning was superb, well cooked and presented.
Highly recommended. We would stay again if necessary.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reading, UK
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

This is my 4th stay here and it is excellent every time. Gorgeous bedding and towels, super products in the v glam bathroom, amazing breakfasts and the hosts are wonderful. Lovely jams and juices to buy if you like, cards of the local area. I have family locally and always book in here. The post from the person who didn't stay should be removed as it just isn't fair to comment in that way.

• Stayed June 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I am more off a hotel type, but a last minute business trip led to this great find.
This really is a B&B; it’s a house at the end of a residential street that has been made into a B&B.
It’s fantastic, made to feel really welcome albeit I arrived at 10:30 instead of 8:30; everybody was in bed, sorry guys.
I was welcomed on arrival, asked if had got parked ok, and the shown to my room, fresh cold milk and water was then brought up to my room.
In the morning I could have stood in the shower all morning it was outstanding.
Breakfast was fantastic, perfect host and an all round great place to stay.
I think the last review was rubbish and given the folk didn’t stay I don’t feel they should have an opinion and I think the review should be removed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
London
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Firstly I must state we did not end up staying at the B&B so this review is of the experience we had when we ALMOST stayed. We looked at the reviews and thought it sounded great, looked at the website and liked the look of the rooms (although the prices on the website need updating, they're still stated as £5 less than currently being sold for).

We needed somewhere close to Brighton - my husband was running in the Brighton half marathon. We couldn't get a room in Brighton because a) he'd left it too late to book anything and b) anywhere that had availability required a 2 night stay, which we could not do. We thought Bishopstone would be perfect, it's only down the road and is near the sea.

All was fine, I'd even asked for gluten free bread and was told this would not be a problem - we were really looking forward to coming. I had a look on googleview and saw that it was basically a residential house converted into a B&B, and was a few houses away from the train station in a cul-de-sac. It is several streets away from the direct beach/sea view but you can see the sea through the other houses in front of the B&B.

However - we found out that the race hubby was running in did not provide shower facilities (as is sometimes the case). So I called the B&B to see if they could accommodate a late check out for us. I had barely finished my sentence when I was given a flat 'no', not under any circumstances, and quite honestly the attitude I received was of indignance as though I'd asked for a free night. I was only asking for a couple of hours so that my husband could shower and so that we didn't have to drive back to London with him stinking to high heaven. I asked if the room had been booked for the Sunday night (thinking that this might be a contributing factor to the unwillingness to even consider a later checkout), to which I was told it hadn't been and that I could book it if I wanted to have the late check out. At the very least I would have to pay £40 for a few hours extra. The extra two hours was a "real problem" for them.

The tone of voice and attitude was a real surprise after having read all of the 5* reviews, but it ruined it for me. I knew that if we stayed there I'd have a negative feeling about it before we arrived, and that if I needed anything not specifically stated as available that it would become difficult. I hate the feeling in a B&B like you're staying in someone else's house and have to behave accordingly - and that's the feeling I started to get.

I decided to cancel the booking and found somewhere else which gave us a late check out at no extra charge and which provided it with a helpful and accommodating attitude - plus, as a brucey bonus, the other place we found was only £9 more expensive, had parking on-site and is surrounded by fields and trees, not a train station.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Firemunchkin
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Nice friendly but proffesional owners, the most comfortable bed ever, lovely fresh smelling towells and bedding, all good quality cotton and feather down sheets, pillows and duvet. Gorgeous quality local produce served at breakfast along wwith impressive poached eggs. A real find. Will definately reccommend and stay again if that way.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

A find in a million, great little b and b close to the ferry terminal at Newhaven. The rooms are clean, good size, lovely view over the bay, very close to Bishopstone train station with frequent trains to Brighton. Close to the downs for the walkers. Steve's breakfasts are superb with a good choice of dishes made with locally produced foods and his own jams, marmalade and chutney. We have been here before and will return again.

Room Tip: Both rooms are great, the 'Berries' is the smaller one but is a lovely room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I had never heard of Seaford let alone Bishopstone until less than a week ago!
Whilst touring the South of England we were heading towards Eastbourne (too quiet) and Brighton (too busy) and saw Seaford on the map and decided to stop over on speck. We were immediately impressed- a quiet little seaside town.
We called in to the tourist information office- the lady who helped us couldn't have been more helpful and enthusiastic. She listened to our requirements and came up with Ab Fab which is located about two miles out of Seaford but within easy walking distance along the sea front. One quick phone call and we were booked in for just one night. The tourist information office also recommended a walk to the nearby Seven Sisters (which is well worth the visit).
We arrived at Ab Fab which is a large detached house overlooking the sea towards Newhaven. There is ample of road parking with a steep drive heading up to the front door- it is well paved and should not present a problem for those visitors with mobility issues. There we were met by the owner Steve, what a fantastic hoste, making us feel immediately at home (unfortunately we didn't have the opportunity to meet his partner).
Wow what a beautiful home.
The whole house is immaculately clean and presented- I had single use of the double Citrus room- a large double with huge en-suite shower room with a large double size walk in shower.
Of particular note was the complementary home made cakes provided as well as the fresh milk in a flask- far superior to the normal UHT. The tea and coffe was all premier brands with Sky tv in each room.
The room rate was very reasonable considering the facilities and efforts put into the presentation.
The room was spotless, warm and comfortable with excellent high quality linen and towels for that additional luxourious experience.
The following morning we went for breafast- a full Sussex breakfast, with locally produced ingredients, fantastically cooked and presented by Steve. There is also home made jams and other produce which are available to purchase- as we were travelling on motorcycles we were unable to make use of this option- fortunately for our waist lines!
We had such a excellent experience that our one night stay quickly became three nights- I only wished that we could have stayed longer but work was calling.
Although Bishopstone is just outside Seaford please don't let this put you off visiting- there is ample free parking in Seaford centre if you wish to drive or why not make use of the train- as the address suggests Ab Fab is located within a stones throw of the raiway station- this does not cause any problems as the line is electric and sufficiently far from the premises so as not to be an issue. Although we chose to walk into Seaford I am told that the fare is only £2-10 return and the trains run until 11:30 at night to get back from the towns pubs and restaurants. Station Street is very quiet with no night time economy- the only issue is car parking by commuters during the day, however as mentioned before Ab Fab has ample off road parking.
Visitors should note that Steve is unable to accept payment by card.
In summary- a fantastic place to stay with a great hoste. I look forward to returning and will definitely be recommending Ab Fab to my friends and relatives.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are of the same high stand, there are two rooms with seaviews but smaller bathrooms...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank AndyK_11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishopstone
The Avondale
#1 of 1 in Rottingdean
The View Hotel
The View Hotel
#3 of 40 in Eastbourne

Been to Ab Fab Rooms? Share your experiences!