“The beach is clean but the water is cloudy. That is the best I can say about this 'resort' beach.”
Review of Playa Blanca

Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Isla Baru
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

All accommodation and food is absurdly over priced and really poor quality. Facilities are nonexistent except for open air toilets (no paper) that discharge into the ground water (which eventually you swim in) are considered facilities. Security for personal items is a problem with fellow travelers "loosing" everything from money to sunglasses. But is the lack of hygiene and the hidden filth (all rubbish is removed from the beach and relocated to the rear of the "resorts" daily) that is my lasting impression. Avoid at all costs because if you don't the cost will be all yours.

2  Thank vigar222
Write a ReviewReviews (3,477)

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Pros:
Blue-green water

Cons:
Rough, colder water
Vendors Vendors Vendors EVERYWHERE
VERY VERY COSTLY & NOT worth the Constant hassle of Vendors who will NOT accept "NO"
You CAN NOT leave at your own free-will. You arrive, the boats leave you there and return at 3
Not Much Variety for Food
Ocean "Bar" makes bad drinks
Bathrooms are "sketchy" and you pay for that as well
NO PEACE! NO RELAXATION! Can't "Lay-Out" without being hassled

By far, this is the worst beach I have EVER visited. Perhaps I'm extremely critical because I'm an "islander." Then again, maybe not.
From start to finish, I can't say there was anything stellar about Playa Blanca. I paid about $40 US dollars for a shuttle to pick me up in nearby Getsemani to take me to the wharf! Way overpriced! Had I known it was in walking distance, I would've walked or taken a local taxi. Now, when the "tour shuttle" arrived, the young lady expressed that the 70 mil Colombian pesos (roughly $40 USD) would take care of transfer to the wharf, lunch, and transfer back to the apartment. WRONG! (They were NO WHERE in site when I returned and I was left stranded)

Anyways, I was dropped off at the wharf where I had to pay an additional $50 USD to get on a small boat. The boat ride is about 35 minutes to Playa Blanca. Before arriving at Playa Blanca, the boat makes a stop? I don't even know what to call it. We (passengers) had no clue WHERE we were. But there were small children--boys--aged around 8 and 9 who swam over to the boat to ask for money. It was truly something to see. What was supposed to be a day's getaway to peace and relaxation turned into me being conned $90 bucks total and then having my heart strings tugged on for more money. I felt really horrible....

Playa Blanca is like a fish market where the "vendors" outnumber vacationers. I couldn't get any shut-eye or peace and relaxation because they would not accept "no gracias" for an answer. I was awakened more than a dozen times! It was horrible to say the least. $100 USD for a massage!?? yea. right. And I'm Santa Clause! $50 USD for a tiny lobster! I starved while there. The "lunch" was tiny. Bathroom facilities? Yes. You pay for that too and it is NOT very clean. The water has the Caribbean color but is rather hard and a bit colder than typical "Caribbean waters." Horrible experience. Be prepared to PAY for everything BUT oxygen--that includes your PEACE OF MIND.

4  Thank CaribbeanWay876
Reviewed August 11, 2013

If you’re a looking to relax in a heavenly landscape, Isla Baru is the perfect place. White sand, turquoise and crystal clear waters, palm trees and mangroves surround the landscape leaving you breathless. But, if you are tired of visiting just the hotel’s restaurants and want to visit something different, playa Cholon is a great choice. Once we got there, I saw nothing but roofs made of straw standing in water -something like huts but without walls- and some local people waving their hands to us with a big smile while we approached the beach by boat. I really didn’t expect much as it’s a quite small piece of land and there’s nothing else to visit apart from the huts. But once there, I realised how unique this place was. What to do there? Basically, admire the local crafts, the beautiful view and eat. Eat the most delicious and economical sea food you could find nearby. From lobsters to fresh oysters, crab claws, fried fish and shrimps, all served over a humble and simple table that stands in the water. Yes, you eat all those deliciously prepared things sitting on plastic chairs in the water. You can actually feel the different kinds of fish moving around your feet. It’s magical. I’ve never eaten at any other place like that. Besides, it’s a good chance to get to know the locals. People are kind and attentive all the time. After you’ve finished your exquisite lunch, you’re free to go sunbathing while sipping delicious rum with coconut milk and natural raspberries, all inside the coconut. If you’re not keen on rum, you can always take a beer.

4  Thank cvargasdelcampo
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Get here by boat. It's a fine road and avoid buses and ferries which are long and not nice.
If you want to stay, find something authentic like "Eco Hotel" at the Islands (Isla Grande). Amazing and unique, without missing any of the essential needs.
You can bargain prices and locals are very friendly, but don't get advantage of their need to sell. Be proud to leave them a little tip, after all they are sharing their gardens.

1  Thank German C
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Clean ocean water and sand as clean as the water. We had a great time over there taking a swimming and walking on the beach, but to have a spot to seat on the beach you will have to rent and pay for it.

2  Thank Raimundo N