“Nice Beach but you want to stay there”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Playa Blanca

and up
Playa Blanca and Baru Island Day Trip from Cartagena
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Nice Beach but you want to stay there”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Playa Blanca is a nice place but if you go on a day tour you won't enjoy it I believe. I stayed there one night sleeping in a hammock and I must recommend it. A few tips, come with the bus + taxi, it is longer but much cheaper... I took the boat and I regretted it... The boats are to go are a rip off... To come back to Carthegena the price of the boat is more reasonnable so you can take it... (15 0000 to 20 000 COP) If you plan to stay more than 1 night, consider bringing your own food... Lunch is 15 000 COP, breakfast is 7 000 COP. There is a burger place where you get a descent burger for 5 000COP (far on the East side by the bicycle). A few shops to buy snacks, beverage and carbs are also on the beach (1000 COP for a small pack of biscuit or local chocolate bar...). If you want to be at peace go on the left side of the beach when you have the sea at your back to avoid the "day tour" zone. 1 night in a hammock is 10 000 COP... A run along the beach in morning is healthy and most pleasant ;-)

Visited April 2013
1 Thank WorldwideTraveler007

• Korean first
Denver, Colorado, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“If relaxation is your goal, this is not the beach for you”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

We first took a trip to isla del Encanto that our hotel set up for us when asking for a relaxing beach with not many people. Everyone said Playa Blanca was the prettiest beach so for our second day trip we went to the port to book this trip. We did not follow the advice of some of the reviewers to pay for the boat only and to walk down the beach a bit to find a quieter spot. So my experience was being harassed continuously by peddlers selling everything from jewelry to massages while sitting under our purchased tarp for shade. We thought we were safe in the water, but were almost run over by jet skis flying through the swim area to sell rides and were harassed to purchase banana boat rides. My husband and I took a walk down the beach (to the right when facing the water) to see if it was quieter. The guy selling us our tarp lied and said that boats come in all along the beach. Our walk down the beach was much more peaceful, there were elevated cabanas to rent, more space, less people nod less boats. Also there were tiny little "restaurants" really just kitchens, but I'm sure the food there would be good, but alas we returned to our tarp for lunch, which was delicious, but the harassment began again, now by a guitarist who was a horrible singer. I feel bad that the people harassing are just trying to make money to survive, but they need o learn that no means no. So if you go to the beach, pay the boat only and walk far away. It ill be worth your while. If we had done that, this beach would receive 4 stars. Oh and by the way, you can get there by taxi via one or two ferries (wooden platforms for the car with an engine) but it will be an adventure! Our friends did that, got there before we did (since we had to wit at the dock so they could pack the boat full) but the ended up leaving with us on our boat.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank TLCJLC
Bogota
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Turquoise Caribbean Waters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Getting to this Beach is pretty difficult, it is only possible through a boat that sails every morning at 8:00 am from Cartagena and returns are only at 2-3pm. However once you get there you will see a magnificent turqoise ocean which is worth visiting.

Although it is crowded, on low seasons you can walk away from pople and find quiet spots. I strongly recommend to try to stay there for the night at one of the beachside accommodations which are not expensive (12 to 25 uSD per night). Sleeping in hammocks or camp there ere other options.

A great place to sta definitely going back

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Rufoandres84
Houston, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Beautiful Beach -- lots of street vendors”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

In my opinion, this is the most beautiful beach around Cartagena. Blue clear water and white sand. The only negative part --that can be easily ignored-- are the pushy street vendors and massage ladies. You just have to keep saying "No thank you" and avoid eye contact.
However, I do like the occasional vendor selling fruit salads, water, soft drinks, beer, etc.

You can get to Playa Blanca by land or boat. The easiest way is to take a 15 to 20 passenger fast boat from the main pier in Cartagena early in the morning. You get to the island around 10AM. You can arrange to rent a "cabana" for the night so you can really enjoy your time at the beach. Next day, locals can help you arrange similar boat to go back to Cartagena. I think it cost me ~15000COL pesos.

If you get there by land (probably faster), you can take public transportation (bus/cab) to the ferry, ride the ferry across the river (10 mins) and take another bus/cab to get to the beach. It is doable (I have done it) but make sure you have enough information about the schedule. It can take you a couple hours. You can always arrange a cab (150000 - 200000COL pesos) to drop you off & pick you up next day. This is a good option for 3 to 4 friends so you can split the fare or if you don't mind the additional expense. I have done it this way too; faster no hassle.

It is really a beautiful beach. It is worth the trouble to get there. It is better if you stay at least one night.

Visited January 2013
Aspen, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

We visited Isla Baru(Playa Blanca) at the end of November of 2012. I would strongly suggest to stay there for more than just a couple of days. There are several cabanas you can rent for about 30-35 dollars per night. You should not expect those cabanas being something like motel rooms. Pretty basic, but close to the shore line, and I mean about 10 meters and hospitality of local people is amazing. We stayed at the place which is known as Pacho Chocolate's place. Just ask any person who will greet you when you disembark. But as I said there are about a dozen of owners who will be happy to rent out there cabanas. We like Chocolate's place because his wife is a great cook. Fresh fish, shrimp, octopus, breakfast, lunch and dinner made to your order from scratch-mmmm! From 9am to 4pm there are a lot of tourist visiting the island from Cartagena. Ask the person who you are staying with about renting a boat and going to the nearby corral reef to do some fishing or snorkeling- you'll have a lot of fun! Again if you need a comfort of a big resort with all- you- can -eat -buffet and guided tours with the lunch provided-this place is not for you. But if you want to enjoy simple but fresh food, nice friendly people and clean unspoiled beach-try it, you won't regret!

Visited November 2012