“Calm”
Review of Hotel Sport Baru

Hotel Sport Baru
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Isla Baru
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a deliciously small resort accessible by boat from Cartagena. The food is absolutely excellent. The beach is just the right size, and the staff is wonderful. I would love to go back, and probably will the next time I am in Colombia.

Room Tip: 2nd floor ocean view - beautiful.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TripAdmdmd
giacomotc, Gerente at Hotel Sport Baru, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with others, we hope all your trips result in satisfying experiences, all the best!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Sport Baru

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Location is lovely, fab views and free kayaks to explore but the hotel really do have a captive audience. We decided to go ahead with sport baru despite really bad reviews on trip advisor. Maybe we should have listened!!!! A lovely place but a bad attitude from the owner made us feel awkward for not spending every meal time there and let us down with miscommunication and false promises of a Boat trip to rosario ! Very disappointing atmosphere even though some of the staff were lovely they seemed really miserable working there. If i were you id look further afield - there seems to be other accomodation around there just not advertised on the standard websites yet! Its well worth a visit to the area though. The owner needs some lessons in customer service. I dont normally give bad reviews but i felt i should let people know.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Joanna F
giacomotc, Manager at Hotel Sport Baru, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear Joanna.

We are very concerned for your comments. We have considered your review for the renewal of some members of our team. We hope to have you back here to experience the change and the recent renovations that include air conditioning and hot water in all rooms.
We never promise a free trip to Islas del Rosario, I have reviewed your reservation form and this service is not in it, maybe it was a misunderstanding because the staff may had offered you that trip as an additional service.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We spent four very nice days in Baru. The staff is friendly and helpful, the food good. It's a great place to relax and make trips to the nice beaches close by. It was our first stay of our journey in Colombia, and it was a great and relaxing start: We enjoyed the trip to the nearby village of Baru, wondering what "una zona menos economica" was (as the hotel staff nicely put it); had a great time on the Playa Azul (?) which we had all to ourselves, after a short trip in the canoe.
The trip back to Cartagena at the end of our stay in the boat is indeed adventurous... but we got back safely. :-)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Stefanie Z

Dear Stefanie.

Thank you so much for your comments, as far as we are looking forward to have you at Sport Barú Hotel again.

Note that we have 10 new renovated rooms, all with air conditioner and hot water.

Have a great day.

Kindly,

Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I went here for our Honeymoon for 3 nights. It is a very quiet, small and beautiful location. This is a place best for relaxation; however, day trips and activities can be arranged for you.
Our unique situation is that we had my mother with us because she speaks no Spanish and isn't used to travelling by herself. The owner and staff were very good about helping her and entertaining her while we went off by ourselves. Without their assistance, my honeymoon might have been ruined.
Also, my mother and I have allergies to chemicals and the staff was very accommodating to our situation. Housekeeping removed all the chemicals from our rooms and followed our cleaning requests.

My only issue with the hotel was the food services. I found the menu very limited and didn't like that we were charged for bottled water. They have free coffee and tea service, but at times wasn't available because the staff wasn't maintaining it properly.

I found the accommodations very charming and unique. If you are looking for a very relaxing space to take in the scenery and enjoy the sea, this is a good place to go.

Room Tip: The view from the upper rooms is amazing.
3  Thank JBews

Dear guest.

We are very happy to read your review. Nowadays we are working in a new menu for our restaurant, and we recently finished the renovations of our rooms, giving air conditioners and hot water to all of them.

We look forward to having you both for your aniversary.

kindly,

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed for 5 days...way too long! The staff seemed new , friendly but most did not know any English. The beach and area photograph much better that they appear in person. It's very overpriced because you are captive to the resort's drink and food prices. The food is not worth the price charged even if it's expensive to bring it in by boat.The showers ran as a lukewarm dribble.Best thing about this stay was the weather. Would not go back!

6  Thank Nancy N
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed her for 1 night to get over our jet lag following a long journey from Australia. The location is great, no real beach but a sandy area with lots of lounges and shade set amongst the pretty mangroves. The staff were friendly and the food was very good however very limited options. If you want a nice beach you have to do a day trip, it was very quiet and a relaxing place to chill out. The room was basic, but clean. All of this is absolutely fine and a good spot to chill out a few days, the only problem is the price. The cost was almost 500 dollars for 1 night plus transfers from cartegena, which considering the accomodation is very steep. Would recommend it if you could get it for half the price, but as it is wouldn't go back!

2  Thank Anne B
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed 3 nights , the service was not good. One night I waited 1.5 hours for my spegetti with some ground beef on top. The next day I waited 40 minutes for a coffee , while the server walked past me 8 times while serving the owners friends. I told one of the owners that the service was bad and that my 10$ ham and cheese sandwich tasted bad. He was offended and avoided me. The cleaning lady left a bottle of cleaner in our room and a dirty sport baru t shirt . The room was like a ghetto tiki hut. The real thing is 3 times less than the pictures. The beach is man made. It has weed cloth with imported sand on it. You can feel the seams with your feet. The second day they didn't even do room service. We asked them why and they said that we are supposed to request it. Why did they do it the first day then when we did not request it. There is only one cook and up to 50 total eatting at once, 90% are day trippers . So u start to feel like a second class customer to day trippers. There is no hot water in the showers, there is no tv in the rooms. There is free kayaking and ping pong , otherwise you have to pay for everything else, this is not a sport resort they have wind surfing and a small sailboat but I didn't see any wind. The water is not blue and beautiful like typical Caribbean islands as the beach is man made. None of the neighbors on the coastline had a beach, just a dock. I really wanted to leave the second day but you can't because they have the only boat. If you want to stay here at least try the day trip first. Or try blue water hotel, the place brings you there on a day trip to a section of beach on the very end that is fenced off. That beach was natural and beautiful. Even though we got the end section with lots of trees. Anyway, stuff as much beer and snacks in your suitcase as you can. And hide it when you consume it. The menu has a listing for pizza @ 100000 Colombian posos , that's roughly 60$ American.. I hope you consider at least some of my points as to not go to this hotel, I am writing this review because I feel so taken advantage of. On a side note previous to this I did stay at hotel Dann Cartegena (it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!) and I am currently staying at hotel casa gloria in the old city, it is great so far, these are two other great options. Please don't stay here. This review is real you can Skype me at Calvin.Linde to confirm.

• Stayed: December 2012
#1 of 4 in Isla Baru
Agua Azul Beach Resort
Agua Azul Beach Resort
#3 of 12 in Isla Baru

Been to Hotel Sport Baru? Share your experiences!