Sunda Resort
  • Pool
J. Hotel(Ao Nang)
  • Breakfast included
  • Free Internet
All reviewstuk tukfree shuttle servicebathroom dooraonang arearent a bikejunglepoolskrabigreeneryprivacy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Last week while driving around South Thailand we stopped at Sunda in Ao Nang to spend the night. Its a nice please in a little forested area with loads of palm trees. The have two pools and the ambiance is relax and service very friendly.

This is a Muslim run Hotel and most of the staff lived in the local community. Its a good option , well priced and not to far from the beach.

Room Tip: We had one of the pool access rooms and it was perfect for the kids.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I guess we were there on a low season that's why it is queiter.

I got to say, the location is not really ideal, it's situated rather far out from the beach. Although it did provide a quiet environment but it does not allow freedom to go to the main street or the beach at your liking. The resort to the beach is at least a kilometer long, and it is on a small road. though it is walkable, it's not really advisable because it is quite dodgy

That said, the resort does provide shuttle service to get to and from hotel. And it is free and you can use it from 7am till 9pm. They fetch you as far as mcdonalds which is rather far from the resort and to either Ao Nang beach or Naopharat beach. You'll need to call them to pick you up though when you're done so you got to have a phone or local number.

The resort itself is rather small, They have 2 pools but they are more for getting soaked than swimming in it. We did not utilize the pool because it does not really look inviting to us.

The rooms are ok. My only complaint about the room is that they should have upgrade the TV. They are still using the cube TV. Other than that, it is very comfortable... The balcony is superb, although I recommend you to buy mosquito coil from the local pharmacy/drug store to put it in the balcony unless you like having mosquitos as pet. They do not provide toothbrush and toothpaste in this resort, so you gotta come prepared.

Room Tip: Canal rooms has got more privacy
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elluminate
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Hello!
If you ever think of going to Ao Nang, well, never go to Sunda Resort!!
You have to pay your stay all in advance, and if you ask why, they will only smile, without giving you a reason.
They don't understand English, or pretend not to understand it... as a customer, it's very difficult to communicate... it's not a smart move, if you are in a business!
As soon as we arrived in the room, the sheets were dirty, with stains which we couldn't recognize the origin of.
Every day we had to compile a form with the next day breakfast, choosing between 3 options, and telling them what time exactly we would have breakfast!
One day we had the brilliant idea to leave some stuff for the internal laundry... bad decision!
We left the clothing in the morning at the reception, and we were supposed to get it back on the morning after, but obviously our stuff was not ready, and we got it back in the evening... not even in our room, but we had to ask for it at the reception.
And when we opened the bag two shirts were ruined, with stains weren't there before, and they were shrunk. Of course, we asked them to wash in cold water, but they washed in hot water... with the shrinking result.
We left a letter to the manager hotel at the reception, complaining about what happened... we got our laundry money back, but we didn't get a sorry note, apologizing for the inconvenience... very unprofessional!
At the end, the service was terrible, and the people working there was really unkind to us...
I hope this review will be helpful to you,

Jennifer

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I had previously stayed at Sunda in 2010 and left a review on Asia Rooms as we had enjoyed it. My 13 year old son wanted to go back so I had planned to check in on 3 August 2013 and checkout on 9 August 2013. I had booked direct with the hotel online and payment was made for one night. We had travelled to Krabi from Phuket by private taxi due to heavy rain the sea journey wasn't a good idea. On arrival at Sunda straight away I could tell things had changed as the lobby area was pretty empty.

I was asked for my credit card during check in and fortunately for me their machine was not working properly. Also we were asked to fill in forms stating what we wanted for breakfast and to outline exactly what time it was required. In 2010 the breakfast was superb and had a massive selection and partly influenced our decision to go back. The desk informed us that the policy is different in low season which is why we were asked to fill in forms. We had just one breakfast there and whilst it was ok the choice was dreadful.

Room was perfectly clean but the shower had low pressure and had not been descaled plus it was cold. There was no plug for the sink and toilet paper had to go in a bin which is normal for parts of Asia but we didn't like it.

The pools and hotel have become tired and are showing signs of neglect. This is a real shame as it could be so much better with some attention to detail. In 2010 I picked up a dreadful ear infection from the garden pool as it was dirty and had scum all around the edge. I did not want a repeat episode.

I had told the desk staff that we were going to leave after the night that we had already paid for due to the reasons outlined in the review and the fact that the place was pretty much empty. When I came to leave on day 2 the desk staff insisted that I pay for the full term of the stay which I refused to do as clearly the hotel was not up to standard and we felt let down. If the hotel was full then fair enough but most rooms were empty so there was no way I was going to pay. We settled on a compromise of a payment of 1 day paid in cash which I resent but at least we could leave without too many bad feelings. Staff did give us a lift to our new choice of hotel so I guess it wasn't all bad.

Sunda is a Muslim resort and we found staff to be ok in spite of the issue about leaving and the cleaning team do a good job.

Would we stay there again? Definitely not.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I chose this hotel for its good reviews and did not lie at all. Located amidst a beautiful garden features fully equipped rooms. Pool small but sufficient. Clean quiet and priced below $ 30. You can ask for more?. Totally recommended!.

Room Tip: The garden view rooms are cheaper but just as beautiful.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple