“Run Down”

Ao Nang Premier Resort
Ranked #85 of 107 Hotels in Ao Nang
“Run Down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

This place has so much potential but it has really been left to be and is very rundown. The bathroom had several broken fixtures. It had a beautiful soaking tub that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months. The A/C in the room as barely able to keep up with the temperature and would take hours to cool the room.

We were the only people staying. Employee's acted as though we were a nuisance while we stayed. Breakfast was not good. It is right next to a very large hotel and our room balcony had a great view of the break area for the other motel. The A/C for the other hotel is loud and kept us up at all hours.

We should have known this place wasn't going to be great when the van driver that picked us up at the airport had no clue where it was and had never heard of it. A travel agency in town also had no clue where it was or had ever heard of it.

There must be better places to stay around the area. Best to avoid this place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Asal19

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

We stayed at the Tropical for 3 days during New Year’s Eve.

The hotel is surrounded by lush vegetation even if there is a ugly, huge hotel building besides that disfigures the view.
There is a Jacuzzi swimming pool but unfortunately the jacuzzi didn't seem to be working and was very dirty. Same for the steaming bath, that looked more like a dirty closet..
The breakfast was below the average and the staff very lazy and couldn't-care-less…
In general is seemed to me that there was no owner, no management and no maintenance at all!

All villas are old and badly needs maintenance,
We spent the first night in Villa n. 5: there was not hot water, the room was smelly and there were not the room amenities (aromatic oil, shampoo and bath foam) included in the room description.
The worst thing was that we could not sleep at night because of the horrendous noise made by A/C units of the hotel right beside the villa.

So the next day we asked to be moved to a quieter villa, and we moved to Villa n.8: it was settled at the top of a steep slope and we had to go outside the room and walking up and down the stairs to reach the open-air bathroom. In addition the wooden stair was broken and at night (it was raining and there was no light) we fell down.

The worst thing of Villa n.8 was that we found two mice and 2 big bugs in the drawer… and the staff couldn't-care-less also this time!

In addition, the pool of Villa n.8 was dirty and empty, and even if we asked the staff for cleaning and filling it with water they pretended not to understand and did not move a single finger.

At the end, the last night we could not find the AC and TV remotes in our room: since we could not turn on/off the AC and the TV without remotes, we asked the staff and they told us that they did not have enough remotes for all the villas (?!?) and that our remotes had been given to other guests because it was “their turn”…
I asked to talk to a manager/owner but the staff told me that he was not there and that it was too late to call him on his mobile phone…

While we were checking out (finally!) we met a Spanish couple who was complaining with the staff because its villa was full of water: it rained the night before and the water started leaking from the roof into the room…unbelievable!

Frankly, for 4000 baht per night I was expecting a lot more, more than a tropical resort it was a tropical nightmare!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dudu1982_11

Travelers are raving about these Ao Nang hotels

Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

I have just returned from a 6 night stay at the Tropical Herbal Spa & Resort near Aonang Beach in Krabi. I'd booked this hotel based on the reviews on Tripadvisor and unfortunately was misled by the comments by other reviewers. Our travelling group comprises of two families with four children...this is where the problem begins, amongst others. The resort is very child unfriendly. We were given two villas right at the top of a steep slope and walking up and down from our villas several times a day with young children was not ideal. It was impossible for my almost two year old to walk around on the premises as she kept falling over the uneven grounds.

Our villas were old and badly needs maintenance. On New Year's Day, it rained non stop for 24 hours and water started leaking from the roof into the room. The outdoors bathroom area was uncovered and the bathtub became flooded overnight with the rainwater - which my husband had to unclog with his bare hands. The open bathroom concept doesn't work in this instance - the leaves kept clogging up the drainage area in the bathtub and I dislike the bugs flying around, especially when I am having a shower. I felt uncomfortable leaving my toiletries in the bathroom areas as I didn't know if insects and such may crawl into my toiletries bag during the night.

Then there were the geckos that made loud noises during the night and woke me up with the screeching almost every single night. I am quite certain they had crawled into our villa (we stayed in Villa 6) through a hole as the noise was so close. In one case I became quite scared that a gecko might fall on my head while I was sleeping!

The room was also far too small for 2 adults and 2 kids and I think the place is only suitable for couples.

The grounds were very green and lovely but there are too many mosquitos, especially around sunset. The pool was pretty nice, although I noticed that part of the wooden decking area was broken and beer bottles left besides the deckchairs by others were not cleared away.

Staff was friendly enough but service patchy - they don't seem to understand that if there are four persons staying in a room you need four towels and you had to ask them to replenish basics such as toilet paper. My sister had to buy a roll of toilet paper from the nearby 7-11 as the staff failed to provide a new roll - despite my sister's request.

Breakfast is adequate - pretty standard fare: eggs, sausages, ham, bacon, orange juice, toast, coffee, etc.

Overall I think the concept of Tropical Herbal Spa and Resort is a good one (i.e. small number of villas in a lush green surroundings for a 'get away from it all experience') but really the place is not meant for families with children. I doubt that I would return there again, and from chatting with another family from Spain who also stayed there (but had to be housed at another hotel when the roof of their villa caved in during the heavy rains), it's unlikely they will either.

There are new owners who took over the resort during our stay. I only hope that they can dramatically improve the standard of the resort and invest in maintenance of the villas.

In hindsight I wished I had booked at another more established hotels, such as the Tipa Resort. I am sure that my experience in Krabi would be far more positive if I did.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Emstarr
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

we were greeted by lovely friendly staff, welcome drink and cold towels ( we needed them after walking from the point- note to self get a tuk tuk next time!)
great room with flower filled bath, air con, fridge.
Lovely pool with sun all day even though its surrounded by lush vegetation.
Great pad thai in the restaurant which is really cheaply priced.
The steam room didn't seem to be working (and I think you have to pay which is a bit bad) and we didn't have a treatment as we were told spa was full, loads of places down the road to get a massage though.
Great hotel over all.

Room Tip: try not to get a room that backs onto the noisy air con units of the hotel to the left.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hannah h
Manila
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

Our stay at Tropical herbal spa was just excellent. The villa was lovely, lots of privacy and it was relaxation at its best. Lol, keep an eye out for the occasional squirrel. All in all, the room was spacious, air condition was good, bath was huge, and everything was clean. Breakfast was also good, you have a lot of options, and the staff are always willing to tend to your needs. We also booked our tour packages through the resort, they had good rates and made everything worry free. I have fallen in love with Thailand and the resort, hope to be back real soon :)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

Normally I don't write reviews but in this case I have to make an exception.

If you are looking for a truly amazing place to go on vacation, a place were everything is cheap, the weather is beautiful all the time and the natives are friendly, Ao Nang Beach, Krabi in Thailand is the perfect choice.
My opinion is weighing heavenly on our amazing stay at The Tropical Herbal Spa & Resort in Ao Nang Beach. This place offers everything equivalent to a five star hotel. When I'm comparing it to a five star hotel I'm talking about the staff. They will attend to your EVERY need and make it their personal mission to make your stay truly amazing. When my family and I arrived, we were greeted with refreshing towels at the front desk. While our suitcase were taking to our room and the rooms were made ready with fresh flowers etc., we were offered a freshly made welcome drink. This is a resort that at their maximum capacity have 9 couples/families to accommodate. But this is not the only reason you feel like a royalty, the people working there takes the credit for that. The only thing that is not equivalent to a five star hotel is the price :). The setting of the hotel is beautiful. The villas are placed in a jungle-setting and are decorated and designed individually charming. The resort offers private spa treatments, pool area, room service, wireless Internet anywhere at the resort and lets not forget the most amazing breakfast. Every day you will chose from a long list, the items you want for breakfast the following day and whether you want it served in your room or enjoy it at the restaurant. Do you chose to eat at the restaurant they will cook it anyway you please while you are sitting at the table.

Tropical Herbal Spa & Resort is a heavenly place with an amazing staff and I warmly recommend it for an amazing vacation.

• Stayed January 2011
2 Thank Cborgen
Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2010

Visited Tropical Herbal in mid October 2010 and stayed for 4 nights.

It’s actually a really nice resort, very quite which was ideal for us and as another reviewer said it’s like being in the jungle.

Our room was spacious and clean with a rustic feel, don’t come here expecting polished white marble floors and you won’t be disappointed. Yes there are bugs in the bathroom, the paintwork is a bit iffy here and there, the electrics wouldn’t pass any UK inspection and ‘something’ did wake us up rustling at night (probably a lizard)

We had a special low season rate and it was good value as the room and bathroom were a good size and had a covered veranda.

My only negative comment is that the room was quite dark, during the day this was due to the hotel building next door (it is a rather unattractive breeze block wall) and at night as the light bulbs were underpowered.

Next door hotel’s air con does make a horrendous noise twice a day – sounds like a space ship is powering up – only lasts for about 5 mins each time.

The pool at Tropical is small but exclusive (as we were the only ones there!) Breakfast is perfectly adequate (although quite a few mosquitoes in the breakfast area) and the staff are friendly and want to help as much as they can. Beach towels are available on request which you can take out for the day which is a bonus.

Ao Nang is a nice typical small Thai resort, there is a 7-11 about 3 mins down the road for supplies – good selection of restaurants within 5 mins and lots down towards the beach which is 10-15 mins walk. We hired a scooter as the walk back is a gentle hill all the way, nothing steep but in the heat it’s quite tiring.

However the beach is pretty unattractive so get a boat to Railay or one of the islands where it’s beautiful or just chill by the pool.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple