Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi
Aonang Cliff Beach Resort(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
$120
$60
Very Good 4/5
Krabi Tipa Resort(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
$67
$57
  • Pool
Deevana Plaza Krabi Aonang(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
$60
$56
Very Good 4/5
Ananta Burin Resort(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
$72
Great 4.5/5
$62
$49
Good 3.5/5
Aonang Princeville Resort(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
$73
$55
Very Good 4/5
Aonang Paradise Resort(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
$66
$32
$93
$81
Excellent 5/5
Green View Village Resort(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
$27
$24
4,097 results
All reviewsmonkey trailon the rockslotus courtfloating jettyshuttle boatthai restaurantthe club loungeprivate beachspa deluxe roomocean facingfree boatboat servicelow tideonly accessible by boatjacuzzi on the balconybaht bonanzawooden steps
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 29, 2007

We have just returned from two weeks in Thailand where we stayed for 7 night at the Central Krabi.

We could not have wished for a better hotel or location, from the moment we arrived the service and attention from the staff was wonderful.
We checked in at the main office in Ao Nang on arrival at the peir were met by staff who transported us by boat to the resort. Again staff were waiting and we were taken by elecric buggy to our room.

The room was fabulous, we had tried to upgrade but none were available and on reflection it really didn't matter. There was a settee ad table and chairs in the shade with 2 sun beds and coffee table on the balcony. The room had 2 queen size beds with all the usual facilities. There was an amazing wet room which was part of the bedroom but could be closed off with doors it had a massive roll top bath, rain shower an hand shower. There was a seperate area with handbasi etc, toilet and dressing area. Couldn't have asked for more.

The staff were so helpful and kind, nothing was too much trouble. The facilities were good, canoeing, windsurfing and sailing, the pool was well kept and impressive with the water falls and view with a good amount of sun loungers with more being delivered as we left. The 4 resturants were good with 'On the rocks' our favourite especially for lunch and a beer/wine. The prices were rrather expensie but in keeping with that star rating (2500-3500bht for 2 courses and wine for 2 people) Ao Nang was much uch cheaper and good quality.

We used the path over the hill which was well lit although rather steep you can also paddle around the headland at low tide. Remember to book at mai reception for the shuttle boat as you need a ticket.

If I was picky then all I can say is that on some occasions housekeeping forgot to leave teabags and although all are supposed to have ocean view ours barely had, but it didn't matter because it was quiet and peaceful.

I was slightly worried after reading some reviews, but my husband travels extensively and can be hard to impress and he was WELL impressed with the central.

It was probably the best hotel and hotel we have had.

Stayed: January 2007
39  Thank FranStaffordshire
Reviewed January 24, 2007

We watched the reviews all year and they have been SO mixed! A lot of the earlier issues have been sorted and we had a great stay.

Our transfers were perfect, there was no charge to collect us from the Krabi Thai Village and all went smoothly.

Rooms - amazing! We had a Spa Delux and our room 1116 was just about perfect in terms of resort location (centre, back and away from the generator) and facilities. A DVD/CD player would have been appreciated though and I think at the price of the resort all rooms should be kitted out with one.

Keep valuables off the patio as we had a monkey visit one morning it didn't bother us though and once we started moving around in the bedroom it soon shot off.

We were only there 2 nights and spent the previous 5 in Krabi Thai Village (good hotel) - I will post my Ao Nang restaurant recommendations on that hotel. We ate the 2 nights in the Rim Sai which was very good.

We upgraded to club benefits and whilst it was nice it was overpriced particularly when compared to the D2 in Chiang Mai and the Sheraton Grande in Bangkok.

The staff were friendly and the management were making an effort but it is a big hotel so it has a bit of a corporate feel - our next hotel stay at the Layana on Ko Lanta only had about 40 rooms and could give a real personal touch that a large hotel just can not replicate.

I am sure the hotel will go from strength to strength and it is worth a visit.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
36  Thank Bob+Diane
Reviewed January 24, 2007

I'll make this short and sweet. Beautiful grounds amazing rooms and great food. Like someone else stated this is where my compliments end. I understand that they have only been open for 2 months, but no one knows what they are suppose to do. The staff can't speak English let alone understand it! We booked a specific room type and when we got there they didn't have it, rooms didn't have paid TV, no dvd players, business center consisted of 2 computers, beach was dirty and ugly and service to the town from the hotel was limited and WAY over priced. I'll stop here. Give it a year and maybe they'll have it together.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank inesitad
Reviewed January 22, 2007

After reading some of the mixed reviews I was not quite sure what to expect, but it was sooooo wonderful!
The reports about the strange check in turned out to be pretty accurate- but nonetheless we were not kept waiting too long and were given drinks whilst we waited. We got our minibus from the check in desk down to the Pier where we hopped straight on to the speed boat and made our way to the resort. It felt pretty special having the speed boat to ourselves, and it was good as it was daytime and we were able to spot the resort at Ao Nang and get our bearings on the way in. Arriving at the jetty was fabulous and I was speechless at how beautiful the resort looked, set into the cliff side. On Subsequent nights when we were getting boat back after dinner out in the resort, I felt sorry for people who were just arriving as they could not appreciate that first look at the resort as they came in on the boat.
We were greeted by 2 members of staff who walked down the jetty to meet us off the boat, and our cases were taken and we hopped straight on to a golf buggy and up the steep resort road to our room. Everything in our room was shown to us and they showed us a map of the hotel and everything you might wish to know. I had been previously dissapointed that we had not been able to book one of the jacuzzi spa rooms, and thought that the room we had might have been inferior. However I was wrong and the room was stunning. We had a great view, although slightly obscured by a tree, and we could watch the sunset from our bed! The bathroom was pure luxury, with everything from the dinner plated sized shower head, Deep Bath, to the luxury toiletries (All Lotus Flower Scented)- The only problems we encountered in the room was slightly dodgy plumbing- the sink took a while to drain, and the door lock breaking one day which we managed to fix ourselves (Both things have been mentioned before in the reviews so a common problem)
I could see a lot of the Jacuzzi Spa rooms from our balcony and from the Swimming Pool and never saw anyone in them! I didnt mind not having one anyway, as they were not that private, and I would probably have used it at sunset or dusk anyway- which was when I seemed to get bitten alive by the Mozzies anyway!
The TV channels were great- with BBC world and various sports and MTV Asia- great for getting ready for a night out.
The MIni Bar was stocked with 2 free bottle of water each day, and I even though the prices of the beers and snacks was reasonable (Singha beer 95 Baht, Popcorn 55 Baht, Pringles 85 Baht)
Outside on the balcony there are 2 Day Beds and a Chaise Lounge Type Bed and Dining table and Chairs, with remote controlled privacy blinds!
We didn't have the "Club" Benefits, and I did read about this and it is something that might be worth it in future- not sure what the extra cost was though...
We only ate at the Lotus Court all Day Dining restaurant one day for lunch when it was too hot to sit outside at "On The Rocks" bar- We had some soup and a club sandwich and 2 drinks and although it was more than going into Ao Nang for Lunch it still only came to about a tenner. When we had lunch at "On the rocks" we had 2 Thai dishes and drinks and this only came to about 8 quid. I am amazed at the comments about the prices of the food served in the hotel, as if it was served in this country at a 5 star hotel it would be about ten times the amount- Its probably because it is easy to compare it to eating out in Aonang for half the price. What did seem over priced were the various themed evening food events- such as the lobster evening- see photo
We had breakfast each morning and it was simply superb. The choice was limitless, and all served on Wedgewood! Fruits, Cereals, Cooked, Cold, Chinese, Japanese, Thai- you name it!
One thing which was stupidly overpriced were the spa treatments- even more than in the UK I thought- I did not use it therefore- Massages in Ao Nang were only about 200-300 Baht. I am sure that the treatments at the Spa were much nicer and more proffesional though, but I could just not justify paying that sort of money.
THe swimming pool was very nice- sunbeds always plentiful- people usually scarpered after the daily 3.15pm rain shower anyway, leaving the pool area deserted!
The beach was beautiful, very sandy and very shallow so great for kids. There are thousands of little hermit crabs all over the beach and it was fascinating to watch them moving with their shells at low tide.
Kayaks and windsurfing is free- they say for an hour each day but we quite happily went off for a good 2 hours in out kayak one morning. This was enough time to explore lots of little caves and we got as far as Railey beach to see how the other half live at Rayavadee (Suckers! ) I really think that we had the better deal being at the Central as the rooms at Rayavadee are at least twice the price- And the noise of the long tail boats visitng their beaches must drive them potty- I overheard quite a lot of people saying the same thing.
I even used the gym at the hotel which was neally well kitted out and was able to watch the Australian Open on the TV at the same time.
The comments about the Deep Blu bar were unfortunately true- we went down one night for the happy hour at 11pm, and it was empty, so we felt a bit intimidated and left without a drink! It would be lovely in there if it was busier, with the trendy chairs and aquarium- they need to sort this out or it may be closed I think.
The service and friendliness of every member of staff at the resort was unbeatable in my opinion. there were a lot of staff, from the boat crews, to the maids, to the restaurant staff, to the gardeners and everyone always said hello or "sawasdee" Getting to Ao nang was nowhere near as bad as some people might make out. You have a choice of boat which goes across depending on the tides- usually at least every couple of hours- you then have to get a tuk tuk into town from the pier which costs 40 baht. Or you have 2 other options, during low tide you can walk around, or paddle around depending on the tide level- or you can use the infamous jungle path. We used the path most of the time to get to Ao Nang as we did not want to be ruled by the boat times. You have to sign in and out as you go across at the security booth. Yes it is steep, but there is a handrail all the way. It gets really hot, so dont go out in anything with sleeves as you will get too sweaty! Wear sensible shoes, but most importantly wear some good mozzy protection,as this was when I think I got most bitten! It is worth the walk as you are then pretty much straight in the resort centre after another 50 metres walk along the beach. Also you get to see the monkeys whoc live in the trees around the walkway- The monkeys are brilliant to watch- but DONT feed them as so many people were doing as this it was makes them aggresive.
The resort of Ao Nang is just the right mix of being a developed tourist resort, but still having a lot of laid back backpacker type places too- there is a Macdonalds, but there are also lots of Typical Thai restaurants, and Scandinavian restuarants, and Italian and Sea food places. Lots of Bars with Cocktails and Beers (60 Baht for a beer 150 Baht for a cocktail) The nice thing about Ao Nang was that at the various dive excursion places they had signs saying things like "Next trip to Phi Phi- Next wednesday" which makes it seem a bit more special and laidback than in Phuket where it might be "11am, 2pm"! I think this is what Phuket must have been like 10 years ago or so. I hope that Ao Nang manages to stay a little bit underveloped but I doubt it!
We came back on the boat from the resort, as the beach and parts of the path are very dark after 9pm- (Take the torch from your room) It was so lovely coming back on the boat on our last night watching the clear sky with stars, but then on the other side of the boat you could see a big lightening storm somewhere maybe hundreds of miles away.
Overall there are no words to decribe how magical I thought this place was- I will definately return one day. I can only think that the people who are giving it a bad rating maybe paid too much in the first place (We paid about 80 quid a night for it) and also maybe because they have been to a lot of other 5 star places in the world
so have more to compare to!
JUST BRILLIANT!

Stayed: January 2007
47  Thank dave80s
Reviewed January 15, 2007

Checked room rates on AsiaRooms.com. (Rate included buffet breakfast).Then checked with hotel directly. Same exact rate, so booked with hotel. Only on check in was informed it didn't include breakfast buffet. Explained to Anglo manager who refused to budge on issue. At $300USD++ per day, what is a lousy buffet breakfast? (book through AsiaRooms.com)

The service in their restaurants was the worst we experienced in our years of traveling in Asia. The wait staff must be all high school interns. The first night our food was cold and we had to keep flagging down waiter to get wine repoured. There is no team work among staff. The second night our unopened wine bottle was put in ice bucket on stand next to table. It was over 10 minutes before I found someone to open the bottle. When our food came my wife's entree was present but mine was no where to be found. The waiter never ordered it. She was done before my entree arrived.

The locking mechanism on our glass door into room was falling out of door because of screws missing. Told Anglo manager. The next day, told him again that it wasn't fixed. On the final morning of 5 night stay my wife slid the glass door closed while exiting the room and the lock engaged on its own and locked us out of our room. Fortunately we were dressed. I went to lobby and told duty manager about the lock issue and we needed to get back into room to finish packing. He said he would send someone. After 20 minutes, still no one arrived. I stood out front and found a maid to let us back in. For 5 days the manager himself ignored the issue.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family