First of all I have never felt strongly enough to write a review - this time I do.
- beautiful location
- nice welcome from Luke the Resident Manager on arrival
- great weather if you like it really hot
- nice rooms
- beautiful views
- monkeys on the beach and in the trees (great fun)
- plenty of sunbed space on the beach and in gardens
- general staff are very nice and helpful (other than Basil)
- prices are reasonable (Singha beer £2 small can and £5 for some cocktails) for this level of hotel but drinks can be bought much cheaper outside. Spa was also reasonable for this level of hotel but you could get a massage for £5 to £10 outside
What's not so good:
- mosquitos were unusually prevalent and had a very healthy appetite
- buffet food isn't protected (ie with nets) against ants etc. So ants in breakfast cereals and heavily represented on tables in the evening (outside)
- general concerns about the processes for hygiene and health and safety (see below)
- only one restaurant was air conditioned properly (Haki)
- pool is very nice BUT pool 'area' is too small so sunbeds around the pool are very close together
- lots of steep steps up to most rooms (more than 140 to ours) but keeps you fit so really its a good thing you might tell yourself
- the monkey trail is steep but manageable
- generally this did not feel like a 5 star hotel - particularly compared to the other hotels of a similar level we've visited in Thailand and Malaysia
What was our real problem?
When you encounter problems you expect action and support from the senior management - but we and others did not get this from the General Manager or indeed the Head Office of Centara
The first point:
We found a paperclip baked into the bread of a chicken sandwich which my child nearly bit into and could have swallowed.
We presented this to the General Manager who did not even apologise or provide any explanation for how paperclips could get even close to an area where dough and bread is made - despite seeing him a number of times following this. The restaurant staff, however, were very apologetic and helpful.
The second point:
In our first week a note was sent to our room (and all others) saying that guests needed to stay out of the sun because they were suffering from sunstroke and a small amount of cases were suffering with vomiting and diarrhea. This was surprising given the level of intelligence and experience of the guests (you'd assume).
We also received a note during our second week. However, in our second week, as we were also suffering from violent vomiting and diarrhea we noticed the dining rooms and even the pool area was incredibly quiet. We found that almost all guests we spoke to were suffering from this and a number were taken to doctors and even hospital.
The hotel had a very extensive dose of NOROVIRUS - which, after lots of wasted time in denial, the General Manager eventually acknowledged that it was quite prevalent in the hotel and area at this time of year (thanks for telling us).
Around 20 to 30 guests had two meetings with the General Manager on one particular day who was particularly unhelpful and, even by giving him helpful constructive suggestions to improve hygiene and slow down the problem (eg send out an honest note to guests, clean surfaces, get staff to serve guests with hygiene gloves, ask guests to use antibacterial gel before entering restaurants), the General Manager chose only to say 'what more can I do, what more can I do'. At one point he said if you don't like it then why don't you leave the hotel - a surprisingly Basil Fawlty from Centara Towers moment. It took the Resident Manager to step in and take over as guests were getting particularly frustrated
By listening and acting the Resident Manager reassured the staff and measures were put in place that weren't perfect but helped.
Some guests, including ourselves, wrote to Centara's Head Office and to the best of our knowledge like us no one received even an acknowledgement.
These things happen and its no one's fault - but what you expect is action, reassurance and respect as guests of this level of hotel. They failed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hidden away in secluded Pai Plong Bay and surrounded by emerald waters and a luxuriant national park, this five-star beachfront resort is a tropical paradise for those seeking a romantic hideaway or a relaxing stay with their family. The resort instils an air of understated luxury with generously-sized rooms and private villas ranging in size from 72 to 399 square metres and offering the option of garden or ocean views, an outdoor Jacuzzi, or a plunge pool. Designed in modern Thai style, with high ceilings, spacious living areas dominated by wooden accents, stone features and soothing colours, the rooms and villas are calm oases. Accessible by boat only, the resort offers an abundance of opportunities to relax and explore. To name a few: unwind with blissful spa treatments at Spa Cenvaree, savour Thai, Japanese, and International cuisines at one of the four restaurants, enjoy complimentary water sports (kayaking, sailing, paddle boarding – the first hour is free), lounge by one of the swimming pools while the kids are kept busy at the kids clubs, enjoy carefree days on the white sands of Pai Plong Bay. With warm waters with extraordinary underwater visibility, beautiful coral formations and an exotic marine life, the Andaman Sea is a tropical paradise for diving enthusiasts and those with a longing for more holiday thrills. The experts at the resort’s PADI dive centre provide everything that is needed for beginners, those with medium skills, and expert divers. Krabi International Airport is 40 minutes away from Nopparatthara pier which is approximately 15 minutes from the resort by boat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Fastbooking, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort And Villas
- Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Hotel Ao Nang
- Centara Grand Beach Hotel
- Centara Grand Beach Krabi
- Central Krabi Hotel
- Central Krabi Bay Resort
- Central Bay Resort Krabi
- Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi Ao Nang