“Amazing Resort - will definitely come back again....”

Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi
Ranked #5 of 109 Hotels in Ao Nang
Reviewed May 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2wks, for our honeymoon... it's nothing but a bliss!! From our beautiful jacuzzi room, that gets serviced daily... the scrumptious food from breakfast to dinner, is just divine... and the activities they have daily!! from movie nites, kayaking, wind surfing etc... You can can definitely just stay at this resort and enjoy life!! the view is amazing... the staff is most helpful at most times.. We cannot wait to come back here on my 40th bday!!
Thank you so much Centara Krabi, for making our honeymoon an amazing one!!
All the best....

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HusbynWifey
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear HusbynWifey

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent honeymoon at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay along with the amazing views the many activities and wonderful food we have available in the resort.

We truly appreciate your generous support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

best regards, David Martens

There are newer reviews for Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi

Reviewed May 7, 2014

We have just returned from a two week stay at the centara grande beach hotel and Cape panwa hotel as part of my 50th birthday celebration.Firstly staying at The Centara Grande in Krabi.This hotel was excellent,we were absolutely blown away by the beauty of the resort and the ocean facing spa deluxe rooms were fantastic!
We travelled as a group of ten and were given rooms with fantastic views,although this meant climbing numerous steps,it was well worth it!The monkeys only visited my room once but my friend who was up higher than us had daily visits ,mothers carrying their babies all filing past her room ,approximately thirty in one go!
We decided to tackle the monkey trail to visit ao nang,"Temple of doom"comes to mind but after doing it a couple of times it wasn't that bad and quite fun as long as you watch your step!Saying that I do think it would be a good idea if the Hotel made it a bit safer,I/saw one lady fall and badly hurt her ankle!Maybe the hotel would rather its guests stayed on site instead of venturing to less expensive restaurants!
I would definatly return to this hotel it is superb!

Room Tip: High room if you want to see that beautiful view and visits from monkeys go to the very highest ro...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank alfiew2004

Dear alfiew2004

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you and your group enjoyed your stay as well as your 50th birthday celebrations.

Yes the wildlife around and within the resort is truly unique and I am pleased this added to your overall experience.

Once again thank your for your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed her for 9 night over Easter. I think I'll review the resort as:

CONS -
If you don't like wildlife i.e. monkeys on your balcony or monitor lizards, book elsewhere
If you hate noisy long tail boats and smelly engines, don't stay here
If you don't like staying on the resort most of the time, but visiting, not the ideal place to stay

PROS -
If you like wildlife and want to see monkeys on your balcony, come here
If you enjoy a culture where water travel is essential to the locale, this is the place for you
If you enjoy coming and staying at a resort and relaxing with awesome scenery, this is a must

Anyway, that's just the start. What did we think about the Centara? 5 Star location with private beach, fantastic weather (35+ degrees C every day), restaurants excellent, staff friendly and generally helpful, service............ hmmmmmmmmm!

Yes, OK, we did have a couple of issues with the service (specifically room service and on-the-beach service). However, we did speak with the general manager and his 2iC and it most certainly improved dramatically (they kicked butt...). We understand the issues and feel the management have an uphill struggle. But give them their due, they are trying - and we do believe it will all improve. But the service MUST be 5 Star as well to keep the level of any resort at that same level. Good luck, David M.

Now for the good bits! As mentioned earlier, the scenery is simply breathtaking. Yes, there is the constant dawn till dusk drone of boats going to Railey Beach and other islands and picking up passengers from the pier. But this is part of the charm of Thailand - their long tail boats are part of the culture. And it is the only way in and out of the resort now that the Monkey Trail has been closed down (sadly). And the floating pier can be a bit of a hazard, especially if the sea gets lumpy - but the kids love it as it becomes a roller-coaster adventure for them. We had no issues with it (four Chang beers and its perfectly straight in all conditions - teehee).

The food is exquisite - the Thai restaurant, the Rim Saai, was simply the best. We ate there quite a few evenings and have to say, compared to flavour of the food in the local Ao Nang restaurants, we think its better. Price wise, a more expensive but definitely competitive. We recommend the soft shell crab and the crispy pork in green curry rice - mouth-watering!!!! Sadly, we cannot remember the name of the lady who looked after this restaurant, but she deserves a mention as she was simply fabulous - she brought the service up to 6 star...... And she had help from Honny - who was 6 star herself! Not just helpful, she was a delight to talk to, she couldn't do enough for us. Honny - a personal thank you!

We must mention a few of the other staff. Zafer, the Food and Beverage Manager, really made our stay exceptional. He'd only been at the resort for 2 weeks and was the @iC - and he was the whirlwind amongst the staff. We were convinced he was triplets as he was everywhere and doing everything - and giving the rest of the staff an example of what service should be! Well done, Zaf - and thank you. The 3 wonderful girls in the Club facility - Sa, Dang and May - what we have done without you looking after us? Brilliant - the Centara needs more like you. Jason who met us off the boat and helped us check in - top bloke! And to all the others who we haven't mentioned - thank you for upholding a quality of service that was sadly let down by others.

As to the room - we loved it. Modern, clean, fantastic design. The upper rooms are the best as you get the views out across the water - and you get monkeys. Good storage, beautiful bathroom layout, big bed, big TV, mini-bar, very big balcony. The bed is hard, so may not be to everyone's liking. We hate soft beds, so perfect for us. You'll never please everyone with this....... We spent a few nights on the balcony watching the tropical thunder storms and the lightning show. Fantastic.

Just for those families with children - we would recommend it big time! As the only way to get into the resort now is by boat, you won't get multitudes of other tourist invading the beach (unlike the Rayavadee on Railey beach - we went there and thought - never!! Wouldn't stay there if you payed us). It is definitely very private and VERY safe. The pools are great for kids, as is the beach and the sea. Maybe the water is not as clear as other beaches around, but at least you won't have to worry about them.

Would we recommend the Centara and go back? If we were to return to Krabi, this is the only place we would stay. And will we recommend it? Most certainly if you want to go for a beach holiday in Ao Nang.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank George C

Dear George C

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was pleased to read that after a few hiccups you and Kathryn enjoyed your stay. Thank you for acknowledging the efforts of the staff and thank you for specifically mentioning Zafer our Director of food and beverage, as well as Khun Dang, Sa and May in the Club lounge and Honny from Rim Saai restaurant who took care of you along the beach.

Yes the location is truly unique and I appreciate the comments on the service and we will continue to strive to improve these to meet the expectations of all our guests.

Once again thank you for your generous support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi or at another one of our Centara hotels throughout South East Asia.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed for 10 nights. As previous correspondents have already discussed the floating pier being unsuitable for anyone with walking difficulties I will skip this. We were fine with it. The boat trip across from Ao Nang is great, but if you are fretful of water then this is not for you. I must mention early that the monkey trail has been closed down by the authorities, no one knows why... this meant that the speedboat or the longtail boat was the only way in or out. Book early for the speedboat!
For me the longtail boats are a pain, they are basically a noisy, unmuffled diesel engine powering a boat.... like a sick hornet...this made any relaxation on the beach impossible but it gives guests some more freedom of time to do things off site when it suits them.
Back to the first night, the mattresses are hard. If you have any issues with a hard bed bring some of your own bedding. The hotel has one type, hard. They did try and soften it with a second thinner one for my wife which just about did the trick but it was not ideal. The rooms are OK, but we have had a better standard elsewhere in Thailand. The breakfast buffet is good, and it's great having a proper cappucino or latte first thing in the morning. Food is expensive and you get a 17% surcharge on everything you buy on the resort. So go to Ao nang and sample the cuisine there.
I agree with comments about making use of the free 1 hour canoe, it is worth a paddle to the rock.
The weather was good, and a bonus were the fantastic electrical storms at night, although if you were on a boat in the bay then I imagine it would be a bit scary to some.
The staff were very helpful throughout our stay but annoyingly the beachside service was patchy, it depended on wether the remote call button was working properly. When it did staff rarely came with a menu so had a long trek back to fetch one.
We saw the monkeys down on the beach on our last day and what a treat they were. Snorkeling was average as the water was not too clear close to the shoreline, but further out was OK. We also found out that for an extra 900 Baht per person per night you could choose to be a club member and have some privacy at breakfast in you own club room and get free coffee and cocktails.
I think some attention to detail is needed on the hygiene front, a deep clean is required on some of the hotel furnishings. The sunbeds with thick mattresses don't look too good either.
All in all we both enjoyed this place but it is not in our top ten for some of the reasons above.
We would go back but not for as long. The staff are excellent and try to make your stay a pleasant one.
We changed our money at the currency exchanges in Ao Nang as the rate was far superior to any at home or the hotel, we were getting 53.6 Baht to the pound. Slightly more if you had travellers cheques.

Room Tip: first or second floor rooms are best.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank candymanPeterborough
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear candymanPeterbo…

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

As you have stated the monkey trail has been removed by the authorities and our company is currently in discussions with them for a replacement.

I appreciate your comments about the long tail boats, however these are synonymous and part of the character of Thailand and I doubt you or I will be able to change this.

We are currently in the process of changing the style of our mattresses and have already changed 1/3 of the rooms with more to be changed this coming month.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed the large variety on the breakfast buffet and the use of the complimentary water sports equipment, which is very popular to explore the limestone formations around the oceans edge.

Please accept my apologies that the cleanliness of some areas of the resort were not to your expectation and for any inconvenience this caused, we will continue to try harder to improve both our service and product so that we can meet the expectations of all our guests.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

There's no denying that this is the best beach in Ao Nang but I have mixed feelings about this place.

Positives
- Best beach in Ao Nang
- Free transport to Ao Nang centre (with conditions!)
- Lovely rooms
- Room very comfortable
- best night sleep I had in whole trip
- Gorgeous View
- Nice Bars
- Free activities (with conditions!)
- Amongst wildlife (I loved the monkeys!)
- just about walkable to Ao Nang (only for the physically able though!)

Negatives
- You are amoungst the masses
- Room in aircon didn't work at first, someone had to repair it
- Jacuzzi in room didn't work at first, someone had to repair it
- You can't just rock up in a long tail boat like everywhere else in thailand - you have to advance book and costs a fortune
- Free boat needs to be booked in advanced , subject to availability and at set times (I'm not keen on sticking to schedules on holiday)
- They charged us twice on arrival because they couldn't understand me when I said i'd booked in advance
- You feel like you are on a Package holiday! (although some people may like that)
- constantly getting asked for your room number in a slightly abrupt manner (when arriving on beach or hiring a towel) - I guess they are just trying to make sure stays don't wonder in and use facilities. But it made it feel a bit impersonal and like you didn't belong!
- too many rules. The rest of thailand is so laid back.. why not this place!

All in all it is a lovely place with great facilities. If they addressed the maintenance issues and made it feel a bit less package holiday it could be so much more!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scallyanna
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

Dear scallyanna

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort and for pointing out the positive as well as the areas we could improve.

I was disappointed to read that got the impression that you were on a package holiday and I am not exactly sure what you mean by “package holiday” because in reality many guests would have booked a package with airfare, accommodation and transfers through a travel agent. However if you mean flying with a charter company with and “all inclusive” package, then we do not offer this.

I noticed you stayed in January which is peak season in Ao Nang and you would have noticed many outside resort guests using the beach and the only way to stop them using the resort facilities is to check their identification through their room number. However I have noted this and we will see if there is any other way we can do this to make our approach a little softer.

Once again thank you for your details feedback we will continue to work hard to make sure we can meet the expectation of all our guests.

Yours sincerely, David Martens

Reviewed April 30, 2014

From the very first boat journey to the very last thank you and send off by staff our stay at Centara was certainly grand! The range of activities, restaurant options, cultural nights and frequent trips to Ao Nang and the main taxi hub meant you could stay in seclusion and luxury or explore the surrounds and villages in the region.

The staff were very attentive and friendly and the food and beverages are of top quality. Room facilities are very classy and surrounds near perfection. We did unfortunately fall ill and the medical centre and treatment and special considerations from staff were above and beyond.

Room Tip: Any room will be a treat, higher rooms offer better ocean views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ryan W
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear Ryan W

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your overall stay and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of all the team.

You are correct to say that people can choose to stay in the resort and enjoy the privacy, its complimentary water sports and activities as well as the variety of our 4 restaurants or to simply use it as a base to explore the surrounding area.

Once again we appreciate your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

best regards, David Martens

Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

I know i said close to perfect and then only gave it 3 stars but its the basics they do poorly and thats ok after 2/3 days but after a week it gets really frustrating. Firstly the location is gorgeous.Utterly stunning.Steep clifs and foliage crashing down to a gorgeous secluded beach. The pools, rooms and restaurants are gorgeous.Really well designed and lighted beautifully at night.
Value for money? For the room perfect but food and drinks are more expensive than most in thailand. The food is gorgeous and of good quality but it should be for the price and there isnt really a cheaper alternative. Yes you can take the boat to Ao Nang but this requires getting said boat at around 5 or 6 o'clock so you've likely sweated through your clothes by the time you get to the restaurant. Then youve got the joy of the boat back in the evening when the waters choppy and your likely to be in the middle of a thunderstorm. And drinks!A can of beer is about £2.50 (80p in Ao Nang) so you expect it to be served in a nice glass with a slice of lime. Instead it comes in a grubby plastic cup. The cocktails are around £4 but arent very good.
The resort could be cleaner, particularly the rooms. I doubt our floor was cleaned once. Nor were our tea cups. Complementary water-well thank you!but twice we were only given two bottles between two of us. Its thirty degrees we should be drinking 3 litres each. The beach could be kept cleaner too. Also complementary soap and shower gel which I presumed was for hair and body because it was only on the last day I recieved a bottle of complementary shampoo.
All that said it really is stunningly beautiful but this just makes me more frustrated.With a few more staff and a cheapskate food and drink option this place could be paradise.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jamesl1986

Dear Jamesl1986

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

Yes our location, views and facilities are in a very unique and picturesque location.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in our service and that they have left such a lasting impression with you. If you are able to provide me with more details of your booking, I will follow up with housekeeping to make sure the room attendant is retrained to meet our standards. You can contact the hotel direct on ckbr@chr.co.th

In regards to the drinking water, yes our standard set up in the room is 2 bottles per day, however it is only a matter of asking the room attendant and they will provide more on request.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we will continue to work hard to improve our service and product so that we can meet the expectations of our guests.

Yours sincerely, David Martens

Aonang Cliff Beach Resort
Rayavadee Resort
Rayavadee Resort
#1 of 13 in Railay Beach

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi? Share your experiences!