I completely agree with the last reviewer: the location is beautiful and the breakfast is good, but that's where the positives end. The service is pitiful, with an emphasis on SLOW.
On the transfer there from the airport, our driver told us "5 minutes" and then hopped on a boat that was already full, sped away, and reappeared 40 minutes later. Upon arrival at the hotel, they had us sitting around the restaurant for another hour while they were running credit cards, etc. Other hotels send you straight to your room and let you sort out the paperwork later at your own convenience. When I asked why it was taking so long to check in, the staff told us "we have too many people coming at one time." Wouldn't that always be the case when groups of people arrive by boat at set times? The luggage took yet another hour to arrive to our rooms. I finally went back down the hill to collect it myself. The staff said "sorry, we have many rooms to take care of."
The beachside restaurant service was non-existent; we had to walk up to the bar to order our own food and drinks each time, and even then we were generally ignored. Eventually one server asked me why I was ordering at the bar. When I explained that nobody was waiting on us, she got visibly annoyed and very rudely exclaimed "we have too many tables to take care of." The service in the dinner restaurant was friendlier but still pitifully slow, despite there being only a few tables occupied. On our way back to the room, I asked the receptionist for some extra bottles of the water (as they only provide two small ones in the room.) She said ok, they would send them up to our room. I told her that was not necessary, I could carry them myself, but she insisted that she must send them to the room. That was at 9 p.m. They eventually arrived at 4 a.m. after another phone call.
Based on the service and the comments of the employees there, I'm guessing they are way under-staffed. We also received no reply when we sent an email detailing our arrival information and special requests for the room.
The hotel itself also needs some work. The rooms are designed in such a way that you always have to walk up an additional flight of steps and then walk back down to your own floor. Many of the light bulbs were burnt out or missing, which made the task quite daunting at night. This is particularly challenging for older people or if carrying children. The pool was much smaller than it appears in the photos and the tile glazing is falling apart in the top half.
To sum up, it's not an ideal place to be isolated with expensive food and drinks, poor service and inconvenient amenities. You would be better off staying at Railay beach where there are more options for dining and more accessible transportation back to the Ao Nang (main beach town).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hidden away in secluded Pai Plong Bay and surrounded by emerald waters and a luxuriant national park, this five-star beachfront resort is a tropical paradise for those seeking a romantic hideaway or a relaxing stay with their family. The resort instils an air of understated luxury with generously-sized rooms and private villas ranging in size from 72 to 399 square metres and offering the option of garden or ocean views, an outdoor Jacuzzi, or a plunge pool. Designed in modern Thai style, with high ceilings, spacious living areas dominated by wooden accents, stone features and soothing colours, the rooms and villas are calm oases. Accessible by boat only, the resort offers an abundance of opportunities to relax and explore. To name a few: unwind with blissful spa treatments at Spa Cenvaree, savour Thai, Japanese, and International cuisines at one of the four restaurants, enjoy complimentary water sports (kayaking, sailing, paddle boarding – the first hour is free), lounge by one of the swimming pools while the kids are kept busy at the kids clubs, enjoy carefree days on the white sands of Pai Plong Bay. With warm waters with extraordinary underwater visibility, beautiful coral formations and an exotic marine life, the Andaman Sea is a tropical paradise for diving enthusiasts and those with a longing for more holiday thrills. The experts at the resort’s PADI dive centre provide everything that is needed for beginners, those with medium skills, and expert divers. Krabi International Airport is 40 minutes away from Nopparatthara pier which is approximately 15 minutes from the resort by boat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Hotel Ao Nang
- Centara Grand Beach Resort And Villas
- Centara Grand Beach Hotel
- Centara Grand Beach Krabi
- Central Krabi Hotel
- Central Krabi Bay Resort
- Central Bay Resort Krabi
- Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi Ao Nang