Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi
Hotels.com
$68
$43
  • Pool
Phu Pha Ao Nang Resort and Spa(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
$54
Krabi Resort(Ao Nang)
$82
$68
The Verandah(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
$45
$35
Agoda.com
Ananta Burin Resort(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
$71
$62
  • Breakfast included
Krabi Thai Village Resort(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
$61
$44
$76
$46
$80
$78
Green View Village Resort(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
$26
$24
4,095 results
All reviewsmonkey trailon the rockslotus courtfloating jettyshuttle boatthai restaurantthe club loungeprivate beachspa deluxe roomocean facingfree boatboat servicelow tideonly accessible by boatjacuzzi on the balconybaht bonanzawooden steps
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The setting and unique qualities of this place are somewhat let down by flaws. As other contributors have stated, this is not a hotel at 5star standards...example, we had a chipped milk jug every day at breakfast, covers on our outside bed had been repaired, there were no sun beds available on our last day, there were water stains/mould areas on wood work in our room. and whilst accepting this is a high humidity area we have stayed in 4 star hotels in similar areas and they take steps to ensure everything is perfect! Also, although we did know about the floating jetty we did expect there to be more places you could hold on for balance and I certainly did not expect one evening to turn around to my husband to see a wave approaching at well above waist height and equally high jetty bearing down on us!! The staff did help me to shore but my husband was left to fend for himself with arms full of bags, cameras etc. We then decided to go out on the boat and back by walking on the sand at low tide only to find that we could not go by boat at times we wanted to, especially annoying as we have local Thai friends we were supposed to meet. Now for the condition of the speed boat!!! I loved this journey but we arrived at night to fine we had to climb on at the front, no steps, and when climbing down we're not warned that our feet step onto metal bars on top of a seat, my foot went through these and it was only luck I averted a broken leg! My husband helped many other guests over the stay. Other steps were missing and on most trips we had to stand amongst luggage, ok for us but not for anyone with any sort of mobility problem. On the day we left the boat time was changed without telling us so again it was only luck that we caught it for our plane! The woman In Reception kept insisting she did not have our confirmation of departure which did not help! The setting and view are beautiful but I was unable to relax because we always had to make arrangements to get to out friends/ back to the hotel safely and yes I did try the monkey trail even though terrified of heights! Hubby liked it, me..... Never again! We won't be staying here again. P.s. It was a big surprise to be asked for a very large sum to be deposited on arrival on our credit card!!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for sea view not sea facing which they all are but with restricted views. We were under the impression we had a sea view and didn't. We asked for a change and felt very little effort was made to accomodate us, big disappointment as this was a special trip for my husbands 60th birthday.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank poppy_ma2002
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear poppy-ma2002

Thank you for sharing your comments following your stay in August at our resort.

I appreciate the feedback and im disappointed we were not able to meet your expectations.

Please accept my apologies for the condition of the boat and I was pleased to read you were not injured. The access and steps have since been addressed.

In regards to your comment about a deposit on check-in, this is normal hotel practice and policy to cover any incidentals you wish to charge to your room.

Once again I am sorry you were not able to fully relax during your stay.

Yours sincerely, David Martens

Reviewed October 16, 2013

On arrival by speedboat from Ao Nang the resort is stunning. It is in a secluded cove so only accessible by boat (or the monkey trail, which i will get to later) andarriving in this way you get an amazing view of the whole resort. This isolation was appealing on booking as we wanted to be away from it all in a luxury resort, unfortunately the service did not live up to expectation.

On arrival we were shown to our room. We had upgraded to an 'Ocean View' but when we were checked in we had only a view of the gardens and the staircase of the block in front of ours. I immediately raised this with the manager and was told the room was classed as an 'Ocean View' but the tress had grown and that is why we could not see the ocean. I asked to be moved as we were not happy about the upgrade and was told to come back later. I did so, and was again told to come back in the morning as there was no manager. I returned in the morning and was again told to return later. This time i said i would wait for the manager and after an hour was able to be moved to another room without having to speak to the manager!

The persistance paid off as we were moved to a spectacular room. Very spacious, huge comfy bed in the centre of the room, massive bathroom with rainforest shower and the biggest tub I have ever seen - you could also slide the parting wall aside between the bathroom and bedroom. the balcony wrapped around two sides of the room with table, chairs and chiase long on one side and loungers and hot-tub on the ocean facing side. Fantastic!

We spent most days on the beach, which was busier than expected, but the pool was even busier. It was sometimes difficult to find a sunlounger and when you did it meant dragging them halfway across the resort - at other Centara Resorts I have visited they would have one ready for you before your feet hit the sand.

The pool bar served great food and cocktails, although quite expensive compared to other Centara Resorts - service was also very slow and there was no beach service as advertised.
We visited the Hagi Restaurant and the food was fabulous, however, yet again it was very expensive. After this we decided to venture out of the resort to eat.

Leaving the resort by boat mean you have to stick to the hotel schedule and prebook your seat. It is a lovely ride especially at night and worth doing for the experiencebut we generally used the Monkey Trail to get in and out of the resort. This is basically walking over the side of the cliff that divides the hotel from the resort of Ao Nang. It is steep and not really the safest walk I have ever done but as long as you dont mind a little adventure it is actually great fun. We saw loads of wildlife including tons of Monkeys that will come very close - dont forget, they are wild and not neccesarily the friendliest.

Overall, the Hotel was beautiful and a great place to relax and unwind, however, it just did not live up to the excellent standard of other Centara Resorts which was dissapointing. I would say it is definately a 4* that could be a 5* if the service and price were improved.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Ocean View room with HotTub - well worth it!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nicola b
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Nicola b

Thank you for sharing your comments following your stay in February of this year.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay overall and my apologies for the experience you encountered having the front desk move you to a room that met with your expectation. We have since reviewed the views on all rooms and removed vegetation that was previously blocking the views to the ocean.

I am not sure where you read that we offer beach service as this is not correct. The beach is a public beach and whilst we clean it everyday we do not patrol the beach offering food and beverage service.

Once again thank your for your feedback and recognition and we will continue to work on our service levels so that we can meet the expectation of all our guests.

Yours sincerely, David Martens

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My partner and I booked the Centara as our luxury spend on our 18 day mini tour of South Thaialnd. I had spent alot of time on tripadvisor booking our hotels so kinda felt like I knew what to expect.

The Centara is as described: A beautiful piece of paradise nestled away in its own cove. Ideal for a relaxing stay but for a busy bee like me 3 nights were enough as needed more to do.

The Good:

Absolutely stunning grounds set in own private cove. Transfer on boat was fun and arrival on jetty a good laugh. Check in and transfer to our room was nice and easy. Immediate reaction was wow ....... we paid for the premium deluxe so we had a great sea view and that we had. Beautifully nestled in the trees the room had huge balcony and beautifully decorated interior. Many comments mention maintenance required on many rooms but ours was great. The bathroom was cool with big rain shower and a huge bath big enough for the two of us. The grounds and pool were lovely and signs of updating evident. Due to its remoteness we ate at the hotel 2 out of 3 nights. The set Thai meal really was as good as we had all trip but as we expected rather costly(UK prices). We decided just to enjoy ourselves but a 2 week break would be quite a squeeze on the wallet. We had paid for the breakfast which was probably the best selection we experienced. The cocktails in the lounge bar thing downstairs were delicious but unfortunately there was hardly anyone in there I expect due to the cost. We made most of happy hours though and the girl serving in there was very pleasant. The service is most part was good but will mention few exceptions later.

A must do is Railay beach just round in the next cove - absolutely stunning. We took the double kayak but beware the tide can make it extremely tough and to add to it you get charged for going over the hour (free) hire.

The bad/ugly:

There were large sections of the grounds & blocks of accommodation under maintenance. It really never affected us but the pool bar was just a make shift table etc as new bar being finished off. We never heard a thing though and I guess it was low season so the hotel is responding to the many woes of previous guests. Its isolation is great if you want to lay by the pool all day but for me longer would have been too quiet. There were no theme nights, shows, discos or anything which made for a real lack of atmosphere. You would expect things to keep people at the hotel. I was surprised they didn't have a small shop for bits n pieces. Even if they charged over the odds it would still be better for small purchases than paying bar price for water or carrying loads of water back from ao nang on the shuttle boat. I am sure guests would appreciate it.

Service at the hotel was in most part good but let down by a few young lads and a girl at the pool bar. Tbh we had been spoiled in Patong at the Senses Resort which showed us real exceptional service at a much lower price. The check in staff and waitresses were much better though just felt like for a 5 star resort it was definitely a 4 star(if) service.

All in all a good hotel in an amazing piece of isolation. If I could take that room and plop it in other parts of thailand i would but for our most expensive'splurge' the whole package just fell short.

stevie and emma - scotland Sept 2013

Room Tip: We took the premium deluxe over spa deluxe as jacuzzi's not so private. The premium just ensures a sea view. Ours was great
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sm0254

Dear sm0254

Thank you for sharing your comments following your stay in September.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall and that you found our renovated rooms met with your expectation.

As you have mentioned September is our low season so we took the opportunity to work on maintenance and other upgrades around the resort and I am pleased to read that this did not really affect your stay.

Please accept my apologies that the service by the pool bar did not meet your expectation but we will continue to work hard to improve our product and service to meet the expectation of all our guests.

Once again thank your for your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Kind regards, David Martens

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Most of the stuff you read about this hotel is true. Beautiful spot, great pool, friendly staff, good buffet breakfast, a little on the expensive side in restaurants ( although I did find local places also expensive). Management was out and about, regularly seen and available to talk to. What let this place down for me was the service, it just wasn't up there with other places I have stayed. We had two rooms with a shared verandah ( two adults, two kids) but this is very awkward and didn't work for us. You must lock the door at all times as the monkeys come in the room even when you are there. They constantly try the doors to see if they are locked. They poo and wee and do other things all over the furniture so I never sat out there even though it looked great. The monkeys are cute and we all loved watching them but maybe if the verandahs were screened!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Gabrielle400

Dear Gabrielle400

Thank you for sharing your comments following your stay with us in September.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed the friendliness of the staff, the breakfast buffet and pool area.

I appreciate your comments about the verandah and monkeys and we do our best to manage the monkey situation however this has become increasingly challenging when guests continue to feed the monkeys from their balcony.

Once again thank your feedback, support and recognition and we will continue to work on improving our quality and service to meet the expectation of all our guests.

best regards, David Martens

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Beautiful location set in a national park. The resort is located in a secluded part of the island with access limited to a shuttle boat or the monkey trail during low tide.

Good facilities, restaurants are reasonably priced and the swimming pools are well maintained. Staff spoke good English and were very helpful. Keep doors locked as there are monkeys everywhere!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MSHAH4
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear MSHAH4

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent with us in September.

We were pleased to read your enjoyed your overall stay and thank you for your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

best regards, David Martens