“Beautiful Resort, pricey dining though”

Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi
Ranked #6 of 111 Hotels in Ao Nang
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Just returned from a 9 night stay at the Grand Centara and have to say the resort is first class, beautiful location, it reminded me of Fantasy Island on first sight as we arrived on the boat. The floating jetty was a bit daunting at first but you soon get used to it and it becomes quite fun to use. The staff are all very welcoming and helpful and it seems nothing is too much trouble. When we got to our room the toilet wasn't working and then later that evening a leak developed from the ceiling but I have to say that both were resolved promptly. The food is lovely but as other people have commented, overpriced, again as somebody else has commented, I believe this has a bearing on the atmosphere in the hotel in the evenings, there is a gorgeous bar downstairs which we used pretty much every evening but most nights after and even during happy hour some evenings it was just myself, my husband and the bar staff, such a shame as it could have been thriving with the amount of youngsters we saw there but who obviously chose to spend their evenings in Ao Nang, possibly because of the drinks prices plus the 17% you have to pay on top of the prices quoted. I know it's a relaxing resort which is why we chose to come as we don't like the very lively noisey resorts in the evenings, but we did expect a bit more of an atmosphere. Again I will add that it is a beautiful resort and surroundings and we are planning to come back next May but I think we will be choosing the Centara Anda Dhevi next time unless the pricing at the Centara Grand changes as with the Anda Dhevi you do have the option of walking into town to dine a bit more reasonably.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen H

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We escaped our awful accommodation on Railay Beach over Easter and made last minute booking at this oasis.
Room - spacious, comfortable, high floor so awesome views, loved the verandahs with ceiling fans, big bathroom with power shower & hot water. Built on side of mountain so buggy is an option to get you to your room.
Breakfast - restaurant, selection & service we couldn't fault.
Restaurants - ate at Thai restaurant one night, very expensive (resort prices to be expected) but quality seriously lacking, I couldn't finish my meal. Next night had cocktails at beachside restaurant - happy hour prices get the tick of approval - pizza not so good, sent back for extra time in oven, even then so-so.
Pool - enough loungers, very busy but still enough space, fruit skewers on offer.
As with everything on Krabi difficult to get around, so have to rely on resorts for meals at inflated prices, unfortunately.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Arrived after spending 2 days in Bangkok (Never again). We were initially shown to our room but the view sea was obstructed by the trees. We therefore requested a room change and without hassle were given a second room which was just as fantastic as the first but this time with unobstructed views. The staff are so polite and welcoming. The rooms/views/location are all stunning. If you have a problem you MUST SAY SOMETHING! I have read reviews on here and people complaining about things after the event! Why do people do that?? They need to know so tell them and get it sorted. They will do everything they can to assist.

We walked the monkey trail on a few occasions- Expect to work up a sweat within the first 30 seconds! It is not so much the climb but the humidity of the rainforest. Don't stop and try to play with the monkeys- They are wild, cheeky and have razor sharp teeth which will bite you if you make them mad.

The shuttle boat is great. The pick up point upon the return could do with more lighting but once you get use to it is fine. We made the mistake of being drop off at the pick up point 30 mins prior to departure back to the hotel- The area is dark, and scary (I am 6'4, 16 stone and a ex-rugby player). Try and get there about 10 mins before departure when other guests are around. I am sure it is safe and never had a problem but it is an experience when your alone!!

Food is pricey at the hotel compare to Ao Nang but is again fantastic. Expect to pay standard European prices for food. They given you the option of doubling your money. Basically place 10000 baht on account and they give you 20000baht to spend in the hotel so this does cut the price down.

Lastly I would suggest that this is more of a couples hotel. I saw a few kids but not really much for them to do? I might be wrong as I don't have any but didn't see anything designed for kids.

I really would like to return and have no complaints about this hotel at all. Everything was perfect.

Room Tip: Get a sea view- If you not happy TELL THEM.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank poppylonsdale
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear poppylonsdale

Thank you for sharing your great comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your overall stay and I applaud you for saying something when your expectation was not met. We are always happy to entertain requests, and if we can, we are happy to oblige.

In regards to your comments regarding children, the resort is very popular with families and we have both a children's club and a teenage ezone.

Once again thank your for your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Kind regards, David Martens

Reviewed August 12, 2013

It is hard to write a review about this beautiful resort. My son and I stayed for three nights in August 2013, to visit some friends who were staying there. The location is undeniably beautiful, and the accommodation is of a very high standard. We had a room near the top with a stunning view over the resort. The swimming pool was very pleasant, and the beach was as good as any in Thailand. Home-made pizza at the beach was superb!

So far so good. We ate one night in the resorts Thai restaurant, and honestly it was not as good as some of the cheapest restaurants in Aonang and it was expensive. So then we come to the issue of how to get to Aonang. The speedboat will take you from the floating jetty to Nopparatthara pier and runs very regularly. However the last boat back is I believe 11 PM - far too early for me! So you have absolutely no other option than to tackle the monkey trail. If you are young and fit, like my son of 14 years old, and then no problem. But it climbs very steeply at times, and for quite a distance before levelling off and descending steeply to the resort. I am 57 and averagely fit, and was puffing and blowing by the end of it, and dripping with sweat. That's fine, as long as you know. But my COMPLAINT is this. The wooden walkway is fairly rickety, and each step has a gap of about 10 cm between. This insures that you never take your eyes off the walkway, and miss the beautiful views of the jungle and the bay! Fill in the gaps please!

And the floating jetty? We loved walking on it in high waves, wish we had a skateboard. But oh boy, it was really tough for elderly or infirm people trying to get onto the ferry - which is the only way out with suitcases. One lady went down about 4 times in spite of very attentive staff.

So to sum up my review, the location is stunning, the rooms are a delight, the beach is superb, the pizza is delicious! If you like going to the life of the local town, it's not so easy, taking a boat ride and tuktuk or clambering over the steep monkey trial. But if that is not an issue, then it is a gorgeous resort.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Jonathanmpsfc
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel, we arrived after spending time in Bangkok, and then doing a hill tribe trek in Chiang Mai, so we were really looking forward to some luxury after that! The location of the hotel is gorgeous! and even though sometimes it was a bit of a pain having to book a boat to and from Ao Nang, in some ways it was also nice to be a bit cut off from the hustle and bustle! Our ocean view suite was lovely and so spacious, and very clean. The only downside is the price of the food, having travelled around Thailand quite a bit we really noticed the price of the food being quite a bit more expensive, I think this also then affected the atmosphere of the hotel at night, as most people went in to Ao Nang. I understand the for the standard of the hotel the food will be more, but if the prices were slightly cheaper then I think more people would stay in the hotel in the evening giving a bit more atmosphere. The food at the pool bar area was very nice though and there was a good choice.
The pool and beach are was lovely, it was like looking at a postcard every day! One of the most beautiful locations I have ever stayed in! All the staff were lovely and work very hard.
All in all we really enjoyed our stay here and loved our time in Thailand.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RoundtheworldDanni

Dear RoundtheworldDa…

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your overall stay and yes the location is truly spectacular.

I have taken note of your comments about the food and beverages prices and the nightly entertainment which we do review on an ongoing basis.

Kind regards, David Martens

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is definitely not 5 star more like a bottom 4. From reading previous reviews you either get a superb holiday or a medico. Ours was the latter.

This is the important part if you intend to stay in the hotel and not leave then this will apply to you. The hotel do something called a bonanza which is were you pay 1000 baht and they give you 3000 back a deal I have to say. However, we only found this out on our last night by a guest so to my frustration I was less than amused. In all fairness the hotel customer relations should have informed all guests on check in of this deal - they didn't!! I argued this with the manager and all I got back was a pathetic 500 baht!

To top it off when we checked out we were assured our boat transfer was sorted. We boarded the cramped boat and got off to find our luggage was still at the hotel. Apparently the boat was running late due to the weather. This is fine but why not inform us, we weren't going anyway as its secluded !! This also happened to another guest at the same time proving the Centara had shocking customer service.

I'm not going to go through everything just a few bits I feel are important.
The rooms are ok and of a decent size. They do need updating our sink was leaking!
Service was ok nothing to write home about, the staff were overall ok.
The view is truly amazing you do feel you are on a desert island.
The hotel is situated in the national park so monkeys roam free which is nice to see.
The beach is not clean, there's rubbish scattered and it looks as if it is not cared for.
The restaurants were great. On the rocks is the poorest no decent service and over priced. We tried the Japanese on the last night. It's expensive but worth it.

Finally I do begrudge paying 17% on everything you order even a can of sprite!!

If you want seclusion you have it just be prepared to pay. Unfortunately I would not stay here again, I'm disappointed to say it put a downer in our holiday staying there!!

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank Benno24
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Benno24

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay, and based on your comments this appears to be triggered by the fact that you were not aware of our baht bonanza program and having to pay the service charges and taxes associated with all hotels and resorts in Thailand.

Our baht bonanza program is available at selected times of the year and there is information on this in our rooms and on our in-house television channel. I am sorry you did not have time to review the information.

Please accept my apologies for the issue you experienced with your luggage and any inconvenience this caused. I cannot explain or understand how this occurred as we ask all guests to identify their luggage at the jetty before we load it on the boat.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we will continue to strive to improve our service so that we can meet the expectations of all our guests.

yours sincerely, David Martens

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My experience with The Centara was very disappointing. I was completely unaware that it was not accessible except by speed boat or climbing 'the monkey trail'. To be confronted with a floating jetty was also a shock. Being almost completely isolated meant you were completely at the mercy of their pricing. As small bottle of substandard whiskey was 780 TBH.....daylight robbery. A Green Chicken Curry that could be purchased in the local town for 50 TBH was 200 BHT ++ bringing the cost of the identical meal to 253 BHT.
On a more positive note the staff were excellent: warm and friendly. The buffet breakfast was very good, but you had to watch out for the thieving monkeys. The staff had slingshots at the ready to keep the guests safe from the monkeys. Yes it is a national park, but the warnings are not strong enough. They suggest you keep your doors locked. If you don't lock you doors the monkeys come in and rampage your room and take from the mini bar.
I found the grey-water obnoxious, the smell of dead and decaying fish filling the air and to see them pumping this grey water into what otherwise would have been a pristine ocean was criminal.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jann W
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Jann W

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

I was pleased to read that you found the staff friendly and your enjoyed the extensive breakfast buffet.

I was disappointed although to read that you rated us poor because you were unaware of our location. I am shocked that someone can book and stay at a hotel and not know its location or how to access the hotel! Apart from this being mentioned by 99% of our reviewers on this site it is also featured on our website and contracted with all our travel partners.

Your comments about our food and beverage prices are not valid as our prices are comparable to all other hotels in the area that offer the same services and facilities.

The grey water you mention is a storm water drain and you may be aware that during this monsoon season we experienced heavy storms and flooding which caused some of our fish ponds to over flow into this drain.

Once again thank you for your feedback and sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Regards, David Martens

#19 of 111 in Ao Nang
Aonang Cliff Beach Resort
Holiday Inn Resort Krabi Ao Nang Beach
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi? Share your experiences!