“Beautiful spot” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 106 Hotels in Ao Nang
Solihull
“Beautiful spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We left this hotel yesterday. Overall we had a lovely time, though there are a couple of negatives. The arrival was very well organised by the hotel. We were picked up from Klong Jilad pier from Phi Phi Don by minibus, and taken to the pier for speedboat transfer. The sea was very rough, but it was an exciting arrival to a spectacular view of the hotel and bay. Walking down the floating pier was a challenge with such rough seas, but the staff were very helpful. Check in went well and we were given cold towels and a drink which was very welcome. We were escorted to our room by buggy. This hotel has hundreds of steps. We were at the top, yet had to walk down 3 flights of stairs - a crazy design. The room was very nice, but the view was non existent, and I was so terribly disappointed. We booked a deluxe ocean facing room. It had thick palm trees and was too low down to see anything, but a tiny glimpse of sea through the trees. Every time we went back to our room it felt like we were being punished having to climb to the top of all the hundreds of steps, only to have to go down these 3 flights of stairs again and see nothing from our balcony but trees and the top of a roof. I wonder how many people actually do Infact get a view? Is it only those that pay for the more expensive rooms? Or is it just a small few that can see anything? The palm trees help to keep it cool during the day, and help with the steep steps up to the room. You really have to pack your bag for the whole day, as it's too far to go back if you forget anything. The room itself was very nice and big. Could of done with some work though - toilet seat hinge broken and the toilet door could not close! It needed re-hanging - strange not to be able to close a toilet door (room 1121).

The beach was lovely, and the pool was too. People did reserve their loungers and it filled quickly, however we never spend a whole day there so that helped. The food was more expensive, but the quality was excellent, and we had no disappointing meals. So I do think you get what you pay for. We ate in the town, but preferred the hotel for quality and setting. We got most of the boats we wanted booked to leave the hotel, but you must plan in advance. We also did the monkey trail. It is really very quick, 10 mins max. However it is very steep and very hot. But it's so close to where you want to go. The speedboat drops you off at the very end of the bay and you have to get a tuc tuc in to town. This all takes time in both directions, though the speedboat is quite fun to go on. We did a trip out to the Hong island and had a great time by speedboat.

The staff at this hotel are pleasant, helpful and courteous. The views from the pool and jacuzzi are very beautiful, and the background of the high cliffs spectacular. We have stayed in other Centara resorts which is why we chose this one (and are now currently in a Centara in Bangkok). They are an excellent chain of hotels, and standards are high. Just a great pity we didn't get a room with a view!!

4 Thank julesd7
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear julesd7

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your overall stay and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of all the team.

Please accept my apologies that the view from your room did not meet your expectation. I have since checked the view and have arranged for our landscape team to cut back the trees which are now blocking the view.

Once again thank your for your constructive feedback and recognition and I hope we may get the opportunity to welcome you back when you are next in Krabi.

Kind regards, David Martens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We spent the second half of our Thailand holiday at this resort and I agree with all of the other reviews in the location being breathtaking! I had read many reviews before we travelled so had got a few preconceptions about what our stay would be like. I'd read all the comments about the monkey trail and transfers into Ao Nang and as this was a relaxing holiday for me, didn't attempt either of those. We were also not very fortunate with the weather, which made these even less appealing!

Our room was really lovely, although I can see what some of the reviews are referring to in that some of the fixtures and fittings have seen better days - nothing we felt we needed to complain about however. We also had an issue with the hot tub on our balcony, which again maybe needed some TLC - the plug hole was broken and so we needed to call someone up to the room to fix this. All was handled really well though and again no cause for complaint. I have seen some comments that the rooms are due to be renovated soon, so I would imagine that will solve some of these issues.

We did take advantage of the Baht Bonanza offer so we weren't overly concerned with the cost of things, but I can see how people could find things expensive if not using this offer. One of the biggest surprises for us was that there wasn't any kind of shop where you could buy drinks and snacks for your room, this left us raiding the mini bar constantly and the choice in comparison to what a shop could stock was obviously limited. There is a gift shop selling souvenirs etc, but we felt it was a real missed opportunity by the hotel not to offer snacks and drinks here to be purchased and enjoyed in the rooms.

We were also disappointed that there was no lunch or evening buffet option at any of the restaurants. The breakfast buffet was superb and one of the highlights of our stay. However, in terms of lunch and evening meals, all of the restaurants only offered Al a Carte, which was just too much food for us in terms of portion size. As we tend to eat smaller meals more often when on holiday, I was surprised that at least one of the restaurants didn't offer a buffet.

We did use the spa and found this aspect of our stay very enjoyable. The staff were really friendly and polite and between us we had a very wide range of treatments, all of which we were really pleased with.

Finally, the monkeys. We read all of the reviews concerning monkeys, but we were still genuinely surprised that they were all true! There is no exaggeration in anything else that has been posted on the monkeys - some days we had up to 12 on our balcony including mothers with their babies! Had we had better weather, this could definitely been an inconvenience as I didn't want to be outside with them. But it was entertaining watching them through the glass on our rainy days. They do come in the rooms if you don't lock the doors and are very intelligent - don't underestimate them as we did! The vision of my husband trying to chase a monkey out of our room will stay with me forever!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank bk_wes
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear bk_wes

Thank you for sharing your comments following your stay back in September 2012.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay overall that you found the breakfast buffet superb, the chef was pleased to read this.

I have noted your comment about the lunch buffets, however from our experience there is very little demand for this as most guests prefer to have only a snack or lighter meal during the day.

Yes the monkeys are exactly as everyone comments, for some it adds to their experience and for others it does not, but Centara Grand Krabi is located within a national park and there are many monkeys at various times of the day. You can be fortunate and only seem them occasionally and there are other times where you see them every day.

Once again thank your for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel is the paradise on earth; especially during summer time.

First of all, I would like to thanks all the staffs for fantastic services -all are polite, friendly and helpful. I could feel the old Thai charm from every staff. For example : While we had a problem in finding a monkey trail at Ao Nang, we found Centara Grand staffs finished from their work walked back home at Ao Nang, so we went to ask them for advice. They all did their best to help us even it was not their working hours anymore. We are so appreciated!

The hotel itself is also very beautiful - I'm sure I cannot find anywhere else as beautiful as here in Krabi. Private clean beach and stunning view. We went to a 4 Island tour; the tour guide called this hotel as "Centara Very Beautiful View Hotel" hahaha. We booked ocean view room and we were so happy we did - our room has a great view of the beach and palm trees which we enjoyed sitting at balcony during noon.

We did not feel any trouble in walking up to our room - it is quite average walk not any difficult! Unlike Monkey Trail, you have to be well prepared before walking up and down on a hill.... but believe me the view at the Monkey Trail is something to die for :)

The price is quite high but you get what you pay. We're happy to pay because this hotel made us have a great summer holiday - we really want to go back again and again.

Thank you Centara Grand!

Dear GenieAlice

Thank you for sharing your kind comments following your recent stay at our resort.

We sincerely appreciate your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Really lovely place to stay, nice rooms, grounds, facilities and perfect access to gorgeous beach. Unfortunately though the hotel is isolated and that means you are at the mercy of the hotel pricing (750 Baht pp for breakfast - outrageous) and the service is so slow it is excruciating. The place seemed overstaffed meaning no one takes responsibility for you and they all leave it to each other. Added to that the standard of English is poor leading to further frustration which was typified by the random entries on our room bill which were almost impossible to reconcile back to what we had consumed. To cap everything off we paid for a private hotel transfer 2500 Baht back to the airport as we were a party of 4 adults and 2 young kids with plenty of bags etc and it wasn't even there for us when it came to leave as they had clearly forgotten or failed to book it!! Instead we were left stranded on the pier in the baking heat waiting for our car to show up long after the regular bus transfer had departed. Simply unacceptable and we got not one word of apology! I would recommend this place for a short break only and then only with breakfast included. Any longer, we were there a week, and the service and hassle of getting to and from Ao Nang will spoil it. Won't be going back despite the beauty of the place and it certainly wasn't worth the money. There are surely plenty of better places to stay in the area.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear DeeW723

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

I was disappointed to read you departed on such a bad feeling and please accept my apologies that the private transfer was not arranged as you had expected.

Unfortunately there is little I can do or say about this matter on this forum as I am unable to identify who you are. If you can let me have more details, I will be happy to follow up further. My contact details should be on your final invoice as well as you would have received my email contact details on our guest survey after check out.

Once again I am sorry we did not meet your expectation on this occassion.

Yours sincerley, David Martens
Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

The best part of this resort is its location. It is simply stunning, with its own secluded beach behind high mountains and small buildings that blends perfectly in with the local fauna. The only road is the "monkey trail", a 10 minute walk on rickety stairs to Ao Nang or by speed boat/long-tail boat that docks to a floating jetty, neither of which posed any problems (then again, we only had calm weather).

There are four restaurants on the premises and you can pick amongst Thai, Japanese and international/European cuisine. The prices are, as others have pointed out, high compared to Ao Nang, but the food was absolutely delicious so it was worth it and the sushi was top of its class. I did however miss an evening "cheap snack menu" for those occasions where you are just moderately hungry and don't want a full dinner. Sure, you can go for a starter but the starter menus wasn't that extensive. Other than that, top notch and the service staff was very nice and courteous.

The pool area was also very nice. Clean water and lots of sun beds, but I can imagine that it might be difficult to find a free bed during high seasons unless you are an early bird (we are so it wasn't a problem for us). The kayak/canoe rental was an excellent addition and very fun.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: the breakfast! One word: absolutely fantastic!

That was the good part. Now for the not so good: the room, while being spacious, really was in dire need for some serious refurbishment. Scratch marks, loose doors, water stains, fungus on the tiles, etc. Normally I don't really care that much about hotel rooms (it's just a place to sleep) but I did expect it to be better considering the price we paid for the stay, and it left me with an overall bad impression.

As for Ao Nang, this is probably not a place we ever will return to. Crowded, hundreds of shops all selling more or less exactly the same stuff, pushy store owners, numerous massage parlors all asking if you want a massage and so on. Railay beach was more relaxed but was also rather noisy due to all the long-tail boats that went back and forth from Ao Nang. On the positive side, there are a lot of islands around to explore. Other things to explore, if you want to do some trekking in the jungle, is the Khao Phanom Bencha National Park with its beautiful water falls and around Railay beach.

All in all, a nice vacation but not likely to return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pernille_Lien
Dear Pernillel

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay and the chef was happy to read that you enjoyed the food in all our restaurants, especially the great buffet breakfast.

I have noted your comment about the rooms, which I am pleased to advise will commence being refurbished from the middle of May and will be completed by the end of September this year.

Once again thank your for your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you one of our other Centara hotels throughout Asia.

Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Spent 5 nights here for the relaxation element of our two week family & friends holiday in Thailand. We had a wonderful stay and were delighted with the quality of the rooms and stunning location. We had booked a deluxe ocean view twin bedded room (2 large doubles) for the 4 members of our family, with children aged 9 & 11 sharing a bed. Our friends booked a deluxe double ocean view room with hot tub for themselves and their 8 year old who slept on a camp bed that was brought to the room. The rooms were next door to each other and shared a balcony so we all benefitted from the wrap around balcony and hot tub which the children used as a cooling jacuzzi before bed. We hadn't realised that the rooms would be together when we booked so that was a real bonus.
There were quite a few steps to negotiate from the pool to our room so if you have mobility issues it would be worth asking for a room close to the pool. The monkeys lived up to expectations and were quite naughty, stealing a pair of swimming shorts, tearing up a book and some playing cards and drinking tea from an unattended mug. My husband wrestled free a bag of goggles from a monkey. The visiting gibbon tribe were better behaved! Advice is not to leave ANYTHING on the balcony at all.
The pools were wonderful and it was good to be able to view the pools and the beach from the sunbeds so that we could keep an eye on the children.
Our only disappointments were that there were no drinking water dispensers anywhere so we always had to buy water at the pool bar which mounted up. We also found the service at the pool bar "On the Rocks" was very slow.
Monkey trail to get to Ao Nang is not a problem if you are reasonably fit and it is well lit. We used it at night and all the monkeys were already asleep in the trees. It took about 15 minutes at most.
Ao Nang is worth a visit and we enjoyed a variety of restaurants, a massage and a pedicure. We also bought some souvenirs. A long tail boat back to the hotel was 600tbh for all 7 of us, which seemed fair.
Thank you Centara Grand - we had a fantastic time!
The hotel staff were friendly and helpful

3 Thank CBMWorcs
Dear CBMworcs

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent family holiday at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of all the team. I am also pleased to read the adjoining rooms through the balcony suited the family.

I have noted your comment about the drinking water, which is readily available by requesting through housekeeping, I will follow up with housekeeping why this was not forthcoming.

Once again thank your for your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Our visit to the Centara Grand was the relaxation part of a two week trip to Thailand. The location in a secluded bay is absolutely fantastic - superb views and feels very exclusive. A great pool and access to a decent beach are the other main draws. Free access to kayaks to explore the cliffs is a nice touch but look out for crazy tourist powerboats that happily zip along at close to light speed when dropping people back at the resort.

The room was pretty good - we went for sea-facing (can't imagine many rooms don't face the sea given the nature of the site!) but the balcony jacuzzi option was pretty pointless as we didn't spend much time there. The site is quite steep so take everything you need for the day and try not to go backwards and forwards.

Most evenings were spent in Ao Nang - nice and lively with plenty of food, drink and shopping. Everybody is super-friendly and there is a great atmosphere. Having children with you is helpful, as they are treated like mini-celebrities - useful for getting discounts from stalls!

I can understand some people not being 100% happy about the transport arrangements. A brief wade around to Ao Nang is the easiest option but is very tide-dependent. We only managed to do that route twice. The free boat takes you to the wrong end of town, which means a tuk tuk ride back. Longtail boats are expensive but worth using at least once. The Monkey Trail isn't as bad as some reviews are making out but would be difficult for some and does make for a sweaty start to an evening out. I read another comment about a sewage outflow on the beach - it does stink but can be avoided by following a back route into town from the end of the boardwalk.

Having monkeys on the site adds a bit of interest - they are quite happy wandering around balconies first thing in the morning while you sit watching them. However, do not leave *anything* outside - even when you are there. They will try to take anything vaguely resembling food and also ripped up a book (which I was enjoying!) and stole some swim shorts hanging out to dry.

There were two main problems. The first is that bottled drinking water isn't considered to be a basic commodity - you are given a couple of free bottles per day but that is nowhere near enough and you end up paying extra for more. There is not even a supply to fill up empty bottles. This seems to be pretty crazy and a waste of resources.

Secondly, the (friendly) service can be incredibly slow. The worst example of this is the outside bar/restaurant where ordering and receiving a drink can take an absolute age. I think they need more people making the drinks and fewer staff standing around waiting to take orders.

Overall, a recommended place to go for a relaxing few days in the sun!

3 Thank Andyboffin
Dear Andyboffin

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed overall your stay and that the monkeys added to your experience.

I have also noted your comment about the service at On the Rocks which we are working on and the drinking water, which is readily available by calling housekeeping.

Once again thank your for your feedback support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ao Nang
Rayavadee Resort
Rayavadee Resort
#1 of 13 in Railay Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,683 reviews

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi? Share your experiences!