“Big hotel but not the best”

Aonang Ayodhaya Beach Resort
Ranked #84 of 111 Hotels in Ao Nang
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We checked in for four days recently. The hotel is definitely huge with 4 swimming pool but located far away from Aonang happening area about 1.5km away. Perhaps more suitable for people who like to stay a quiet area.Overall the place is old but well maintained. As any other old building except some old fashion design. There's a huge window open up to bathroom and even the closet door will access to bathroom as well. We stay in suite so the room is big and at night felt a bit eerie since the hotel was not full house. Breakfast is basic. The beach is in front of the hotel about 80 meters away.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We were booked here by travel agency and reserved so late that there was not many hotel options available. I read these reviews and feared the worst and hoped the best. Well, it was year ago, and reviews have gotten toward worst scenario more and more since our visit!

We stayed a year ago (Feb 2012): it was quite ok. Large hotel, nice lobby. Tries to be better standard than it is. We had a large room with two stairs, the room was ok. Curtains were ripped but overall it was clean and fine. Wifi worked only in public areas, not in the room.

The pool was large and clean, nothing bad to say about it. Except expensive drinks at the pool bar (just like it is warned here)! Maybe the sun chairs had had their best of date a long ago.
The so called spa was expensive too and in two weeks I never saw anybody there.

The restarurants at the hotel were expensive generally and the food was average, so I suggest to eat somewhere else. The breakfast was too similar every day (we stayed for two weeks and got bored) and quite basic. By end the bowls got empty and weren't replaced so the first gets the best...

The hotel is located on the edge of "downtown", about 1 km to walk to center. It was not bad, we usually walked there and came back with tuktuk. When dark, walking was a little bit scary because of hanging electric cables in the walking lane by the empty and unlit area next to the hotel. The beach on the opposite is bad, don't count on it. Take a boat to the islands (avoid Poda, it was a disappointment: very dirty and overcrowded).

Our overall visit vas good, but I saved the worst for last: I was stolen money from our room. During breakfast I had left my purse in the the room, including wallet. When we came back, I noticed that I had been robbed. We went to front desk and reported it. The staff manager was nice and took it seriously and I think she really tried to investigate it. Two days later, almost next to our room, another family was robbed too. They lost even a bigger sum of money than I. Luckily we had had at least all except spending money in the safety box! Then the police was invited, but of course couldn't find out anything. Unless the kind staff manager (danish?) I would never recommend this hotel to anyone but she still saved the situation. My travel insurance did not cover the stolen money, because I wasn't carrying it with me...if I had been robbed in the street, it would have. (Sorry OT, but lesson to learn for those who dont't know that fact...I'm still a little bit bitter for the insurance company). This was the first time ever, when something was stolen from the hotel room!

One more thing: the Ayodhaya hotel and the Success wing are completetely different! The Success wing looked (we saw it only outside) very disgusting and poor, DON*T book there!

Room Tip: Use your safety box!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Very run down, terrible service, difficulty to even get a drink. The hotel seems to attract bus tours of people. Breakfast was extraordinary, everybody grabbing food and only scraps left and nobody seemed to care. No clean plates or cups. There were cats in the dining room (being fed by guests). At night the hotel foyer was overrun by cats and kittens. The rooms were large and adequate but no tea or coffee. Swimming pool was large and dirty and surrounded by rundown furniture. My recommendation is go somewhere else there are plenty of other options.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Beverly J
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Overall stay was ok. We stayed in a suite which was spacious and had a descent size balcony. The lack of maintenance and simple housekeeping really takes away from the potential of the place. From afar the place looks ok but when you look right at it there is no attention to detail. Most of the restaurants and bars were closed and the place felt deserted. The food and drink pricing was about 3x what you'd pay in town at a restaurant, this could be a contributing factor to the place feeling empty and no real atmosphere. Overall there appeared to be nicer places to stay in the area for the price point.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ty8282
Reviewed February 16, 2013

As I write this review, I read more of the others and would have to agree with several wholeheartedly. This was a major disappointment.
The staff and customer service was terrible. While they would smile a lot, nothing got done. We had a problem with a hair dryer with a frayed wire and it took seven requests to get a new one. When asked if they can simply take one from an empty room - the owner with a straight face said it was at 100 percent occupancy. If that was the case, then there should have been no cash flow problem and he could have gone out and bought one. The room and pool area has not seen any maintenance for some time. The place is massive and we nicknamed it 'the temple'. Parts could have been closed and been upgraded with painting, caulking, etc.
The breakfast was adequate but they were often out of glasses, plates and cutlery. When asked some simple questions about the area, they were no help at all. It appeared that they wanted to cater more to group travel as there were several buses in the area.
On the plus side - the mattress was good.
When I return to Ao Nang it is certain that this place won't even be considered at all.

Room Tip: If you want a good room - go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jbscram
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Arrived at the hotel during "morning rush hour" and waited to be checked in for a while. We finally got two rooms at 2PM which was the exact check in time. The hotel is average at it's best. The pool bar was empty as most of the people were on the beach. Pool area was adequate and the pool was quite dirty with chips of tiles missing. Also the Chinese new year had brought a lot of package travelers from China to the resort who were yelling and shouting during every night. That was quite unpleasant as the staff didn't enforce that at all. First i booked a room through hotels.com from their old, success wing. Once i red the reviews i noticed that the success wing was not good and tried to upgrade through hotel. They never bothered to answer my mails or calls but fortunately i got the uprgrade through hotels.com call center.

Good:
- Location was nice if you seek a quiet place
- Nopparathara beach is close. I liked it more than Aonang Beach
- Good amount of restaurants and bars nearby
- Deluxe rooms were OK

Bad:

- Hotel was not so well maintained
- Breakfast was OK at it's best

Room Tip: Choose Deluxe room If you book through hotels.com or other vendor. Dont go to success wing.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Arriving at the hotel there were no staff at the entrance and I actually thought the driver had dropped me at a temple. I had to drag all my luggage myself up all the stairs to reception in blazing heat and high humidity.

After waiting forever for them to find my reservation which was for 2 with a free upgrade they discovered I was on my own and had the cheeck to say, do you expect us to give you a big room just for 1. It's what was booked and paid for so YES..........

I am sure in the 1800's it was a 4.5 star hotel, but times have moved on but maintenance and service have not. It is glum, falling apart and dirty, someone needs to inform them to keep a star rating you are supposed to keep up with maintenance, service, quality and the times. Words cannot describe my disappointment between the photo's on line and the actual reality.

When i got to my room the turn over in the sheets was stained, I pointed this out to the girl who showed me to my room and she smiled and walked out, I had to call her back and get her to tell the room boys to change them. Mirros and glass shelves dirty. There appears to be no maintenance or cleaning shedule or check list in place to identify what needs doing, or if there is it is being ignored.

I think the secret in Thailand is unless your at a top $$$ large resort who know what service is about go for a small friendly well run establishment as the staff and managment of larger cheaper resorts do not have the skills or attitude to keep them up to standard. Service levels are worse than a cheap 1 * where at least the staff may be friendly.

My booking would have been £125 per night but was on offer at the time. If the office had paid top price I would have been less calm about the situation than I am.

I took all the photos in 5 minutes without having to look for anything, it's there in front of your eyes reminding you your in an unkempt unlived hotel as an unloved guest.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business