“I got what i paid for”

Ranked #100 of 107 Hotels in Ao Nang
Finland
“I got what i paid for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Arrived at the hotel during "morning rush hour" and waited to be checked in for a while. We finally got two rooms at 2PM which was the exact check in time. The hotel is average at it's best. The pool bar was empty as most of the people were on the beach. Pool area was adequate and the pool was quite dirty with chips of tiles missing. Also the Chinese new year had brought a lot of package travelers from China to the resort who were yelling and shouting during every night. That was quite unpleasant as the staff didn't enforce that at all. First i booked a room through hotels.com from their old, success wing. Once i red the reviews i noticed that the success wing was not good and tried to upgrade through hotel. They never bothered to answer my mails or calls but fortunately i got the uprgrade through hotels.com call center.

Good:
- Location was nice if you seek a quiet place
- Nopparathara beach is close. I liked it more than Aonang Beach
- Good amount of restaurants and bars nearby
- Deluxe rooms were OK

Bad:

- Hotel was not so well maintained
- Breakfast was OK at it's best

Room Tip: Choose Deluxe room If you book through hotels.com or other vendor. Dont go to success wing.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
world wide
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Arriving at the hotel there were no staff at the entrance and I actually thought the driver had dropped me at a temple. I had to drag all my luggage myself up all the stairs to reception in blazing heat and high humidity.

After waiting forever for them to find my reservation which was for 2 with a free upgrade they discovered I was on my own and had the cheeck to say, do you expect us to give you a big room just for 1. It's what was booked and paid for so YES..........

I am sure in the 1800's it was a 4.5 star hotel, but times have moved on but maintenance and service have not. It is glum, falling apart and dirty, someone needs to inform them to keep a star rating you are supposed to keep up with maintenance, service, quality and the times. Words cannot describe my disappointment between the photo's on line and the actual reality.

When i got to my room the turn over in the sheets was stained, I pointed this out to the girl who showed me to my room and she smiled and walked out, I had to call her back and get her to tell the room boys to change them. Mirros and glass shelves dirty. There appears to be no maintenance or cleaning shedule or check list in place to identify what needs doing, or if there is it is being ignored.

I think the secret in Thailand is unless your at a top $$$ large resort who know what service is about go for a small friendly well run establishment as the staff and managment of larger cheaper resorts do not have the skills or attitude to keep them up to standard. Service levels are worse than a cheap 1 * where at least the staff may be friendly.

My booking would have been £125 per night but was on offer at the time. If the office had paid top price I would have been less calm about the situation than I am.

I took all the photos in 5 minutes without having to look for anything, it's there in front of your eyes reminding you your in an unkempt unlived hotel as an unloved guest.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank worldlywise2009

Travelers are raving about these Ao Nang hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

If you can find anywhere else in AoNang to stay, do. The staff at this hotel are dreadful. They are unhelpful, rude, inept and tried to cheat us into paying more than quoted.
Their customer care is so appalling I wondered if we were being secretly filmed for a game show or something during each encounter with them.
The food is mediocre and there is no atmosphere throughout the hotel.
With so many lovely thai places that allow you to sit out and enjoy the view and sunshine, this hotel's bar is in the lobby - very dull.
Good location and easy to walk to nicer places, with tuk-tuks easily accessible at the bottom of the driveway.
A unique hotel with standout architecture (include the large gold phallus on the roof!)

Room Tip: try a different hotel!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank c c
chennai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

We went to this resort on the 24th of December as were to stay there only till 26th of
december - we booked through Expedia. We made the payment for the lodging through expedia and were ready for a wonderful experience. Imagine our horror and irritation on being told by the hospital staff that we were supposed to pay 14700 THB (+ or - 500)for "Grand gala dinner on Christmas eve" for 2 adults and 2 children inspite of the hotel rules saying that the charge is only for adults. We claimed that we were not informed about it during the time of booking. We said that we do not want such an expensive dinner because being typical south indians, we were not going to relish any of the thai food spread in the buffet, but it was of no avail. They had the audacity to tell me that i had to pay that amount if i wanted to stay at the hotel whether i attended the dinner or not. Also, i was free to find another suitable stay if we did not pay. My God - the audacity of the staff and there ws no senior staff member to take up the issue with. Very bad and we felt so cheated and irritated with the whole thing. We spent nearly 2 hours arguing with them and finally they had their way because we had our children with us and they were feeling very tired. felt very angry and cheated - good hard earned money down the drain. wish there was some forum or company where we can take such complaints - never go to this hotel.

Room Tip: dont go to this hotel - n0 travel desk. no spa despite the name
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were 6 girls staying in Aonang for 5 days over NYE. We booked through booking.com who thankfully helped us out when the staff took 2 hours to check us in and made every excuse possible for the delay. First issue was the cranky old guy who demanded we sit in the foyer until someone came to talk to us about checking in. He demanded paper print out of booking despite me showing him the email on my phone and providing the booking reference. 4 staff at the desk and none of them bothered to assist us. Then after about 20 mins we demanded some service we were informed that they didn't get the notes that we wanted twin rooms. After that and over an hour of us trying to get a straight answer as to how much longer we needed to wait, they wanted us to pay £50 each extra for the gala dinner at New Year which was compulsory, despite our confirmation stating explicitly that it was included in our room rates. The final straw was that they argued we hadn't paid anything at all, despite most hotels asking you to pay at check-out (even though we would have provided a credit card for deposit if asked). It never got any better and even the check-out was painful and took 20 mins after we finally threatened them with a horrible review on TripAdvisor....that shook them up a little. But too late. Damage was done.

Room Tip: Rooms aren't too bad but not everything worked, including aircon in the front of the room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Tarne B
Chennai (Madras), India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

When I don't have something nice to say, I usually try to keep quiet. But this property really deserves to be blacklisted!! We had booked a room at Hotels.com[Expedia] after having done the usual research online. All the online sites mention a huge room size of 800+sft. Since we were traveling as a family, I made the booking for their family room that showed beautiful pictures of the room clearly mentioning the size. When we arrived at the hotel, we were shocked at the size[Not even one fourth the size mentioned online] and the condition of the room. The success wing is actually a different property behind the Ayothaya Resort. Wifi did not work!! It is not even a half way decent property. Rooms in the Ayodhaya wing were not much better. Everyone was being fleeced for a "Grand Gala Dinner" that was forced on you whether you like it or not. The manager of the property was a high handed and rude man by the name of William. He just asked us to take up the issue of the room size with Expedia!!! He refused a refund and had the audacity to ask me to talk to one of his hapless staff who kept saying that she was only a staff and had no authority to take any decision. On the whole, one of the worst properties we have stayed in. Wasted of money!!! Don't even bother to consider this one!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank rajivsj
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Slow and poor service at the reception. Stuffy and hot at the lobby! All fans were not switched on even there were many guests waiting at the lobby to check in and out. Rooms were given later than 3pm because they have insufficient staffs. There were only 2-3 staffs working at the reception. In addition, they did not inform us that the lift had broken down when they gave us the family suites. They should have told us that the family suite was at 3rd floor because we had a few elderly with us who couldn't climb up the stairs. And the reply from them regarding this issue was - THEY DIDN'T EXPECT ELDERLY TO VISIT. In my opinion, a four star rated resort should not give such excuse!

Bathroom doors in the room were broken and the thing is, it wasnt only one room, but all three family suites! Floor wasnt clean and wifi wasnt working. Receptionist told that it might due to too many guests connecting and using the internet. Frankly speaking, I dont think that should be the reason for the wifi faulty in a 4 star resort. Although the interior design was quite beautiful but the overall hospitality experience at this resort was poor. The only thing good is the location. Walking distance to beach, shops and restaurants.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Nakamanda Resort & Spa
#4 of 12 in Nong Thale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,205 reviews
Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Aonang Ayodhaya Beach Resort? Share your experiences!