“Mid-range, perfectly comfortable.”

Krabi Thai Village Resort
Ranked #55 of 109 Hotels in Ao Nang
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 10-nights, March 2014. We are both well-travelled and have stayed at a variety of hotels/resorts, so we have a pretty good depth of experience when it comes to expectations.

We read the reviews before leaving the UK, and some of then left us feeling concerned as to what we would find. I am happy to say that we really enjoyed our stay! I have had trouble reconciling some of the reviews to our experience. Are there areas of the hotel that could benefit from some attention? Yes; but the main reception/ pool areas are absolutely fine and so our room (description below). You would think from one description that the pool area was a dilapidated Soviet style pool from the 1950's, but it is most certainly not. The quite, child-free pool, is definitely a benefit for those who do not enjoy having other people's children swim into them!

There have been comments regarding the staff's communication skills. There are certain members of the team who should get their act together, but you will quickly learn who they are- just avoid them. The rest of the staff were friendly and helpful. It is amazing how far using a few Thai words will go in helping you establish a rapport with them. Also, I noted, some guests spoke to the staff in such away that I am surprised they received any service at all. A little understanding and patience are all that are needed.

Hotel room: Our room was exactly as per the website. A decent sized and comfortable bed, mahogany floor, thai decoration, large shower and a wonderful balcony overlooking the swimming pools. I have no idea about the TV reception as we never turned it on-we were on holiday! The balcony was private and equipped with comfortable furniture, a great place for a sun-downer or that first cup of tea in the morning.

Location: It is away from the centre of Ao Nang and the beaches, but close enough to walk to either of the beaches/ restaurants and shops. It is very quiet at night. If the heat is too much for you to make the walk, not a problem, the Tuk-Tuks have a fixed price of THB60 (THB30pp). Across the road from the hotel are some restaurants, and I would strongly recommend walking down the stairs (follow the sign for an alternative route to AoNang Beach) to the Kodam Kitchen. Very reasonably priced for excellent MSG free Thai food! The hotel do push their Thai Buffet, but who can blame them? We had it one night, and it may not have been the best Thai we ate, but we had had a long excursion that day and it was a very easy option for us.

Would we stay there again? Absolutely!

Room Tip: We stayed on the upper floor- better views but note, there is not a lift!
2  Thank David W
There are newer reviews for Krabi Thai Village Resort

Reviewed March 11, 2014

two weeks very relaxing rest in a nice stylish hotel, tasteful and clean rooms, friendly helpful staff, we try local food, located 5 to 10 walk to the town, the hotel is worth a valuable,sure there'll be returned ...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lukasz f
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We have just returned from 5 days at this hotel and first impressions are impressive and the initial reception is engaging.

The room was very large and spacious and cleaned well each day, its reasonably well located in a quiet area.

However, this place could be a lot better if only they could sort out a few minor details.....

Breakfast is vast, but the content is odd, there is the egg chef doing the usual, there are also waffles and pancakes, but they make them with Spring Onion!!!
The staff in the breakfast bar, main bar and the pool area are obviously unhappy in their work and this shows through most of the day.
I could deal with the grunts and the miserable faces but when the breakfast guy collecting the plates, reached across my wife and shoved an armpit in her face, I thought enough was enough!!

Our room did fill up with flying ants one night, which is funny now but not at the time, a guy came to the room and killed about 300 them with a spray and another came and swept them up!!!

The AC tends to make run on fan only with no cooling capabilities.

WI FI another old favourite, is only in the bar area, in the room it costs 100B for 30 minutes, so every night the bar is filled up with guests updating their phones and the atmosphere is zero.

The cost of the food is well above average and not good quality, two small lunches and two diet cokes came to over double what it should have cost.

There is what the hotel calls a private beach and they collect you and take you there in a mini bus. The beach is not actually private but very secluded, sea is a bit merky no good for snorkling. I would suggest one day there, it makes a nice change.

At the private beach there is a great beach place called Sand Beach Resort and the food was the best we had in the area. As you walk through the initial drop off point, turn right and walk 100 meters - well worth while!!!

In summary this hotel has potential, but they need more focus on the guests being shown a good time, by raising the service and an occasional smile.

I would not recommend this place and there are better Hotels in Ao Nang

1  Thank BigJacobs
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The only thing that brings the review down from a very good was the lack of air conditioning in my room. I woke after midnight to discover I had the benefit of fan only. When I let the desk know the following morning they let me know they have 24 hour service and would have fixed it for me, I should have called as I had a sleepless night. If I hadn't paid $200/cdn for the night I wouldn't mention the air-conditioning, but as this is a higher than average Thai price I have decided to. On the plus side I found the check in process lovely, the hotel beautiful to look at and my executive room fantastically huge. I also appreciated their grace in letting me stay by the pool hours after check out while I waited for my ride to my next destination.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights in this hotel and it was very underwhelming and made us think you get the minimum for what you pay. The hotel is dated, in need of an upgrade and smells of sewage. We had an executive room which was below par and could not have been anymore than their standard. The breakfast was help yourself but it wasn't good quality food and the staff serving hot drinks were quite lazy and spent most of their time chatting and playing with their hair. The communal area around the pools is a concrete mess that needs updating. The WIFI also needs upgrading as most if the time you cannot log on. All in all, not a great stay, would not recommend or return.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 1, 2014

First, there were no problems with our five night stay. The grounds are lovely, the location quiet. Some things other reviewers said, mostly those from the UK, don't hold water; just so much fussiness. The two main issues for us were the lousy TV reception when you just want something to fall asleep to. Second, the inattentive staff who apparently are contract workers from various countries vs. locals. Why do these resort companies do this?

Room comfortable, bedding fine, facilities nice, great pool. It's no five-star resort but perfectly suitable if you're wanting a clean and comfortable lodging. Taxi (tuk-tuk ) to beach about 80 baht, to town 60. Avoid Ao Nang beach (except to see/feed the monkeys) and instead go to Noppharat Thara beach...but on extreme low tide days the water leaves...hundreds of metes out. Forget snorkeling..nothing to see off beaches.

So, in summary, this resort is perfectly fine.

1  Thank Alice H
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Lovely hotel. Helpful staff and a very comfortable room. The pool area was great with a quiet area where children are not allowed, which was great as a honeymoon couple. We had flowers on the bed and a fruit basket as a honeymoon couple and even got a free thai massage each, which was a lovely final day treat. The hotel is in a good location just out of the main centre of Ao Nang, which was a lot quieter. However it is only a short walk to the centre for dinner etc. The hotel doesn't have it's own beach, but with the amount of things to do in Krabi and the big pool, we didn't miss this at all. Breakfast was good with a wide selection of food, although getting a cup of tea could take a while!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple