“Great Location”

Golden Beach Resort
Ranked #37 of 109 Hotels in Ao Nang
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Beachfront resort in Ao Nang, this first stop in our Andaman Sky holiday, who put together a great itinerary at a great price, thanks to them for a wonderful holiday at a great price.This resort is brilliantly located right next to the best bit of Ao Nang beach, near several massage places. The room we got was a Pavilion Suite and our agent requested and got us an upstairs one next to the pool and near to the sea, it's good to be upstairs (only a single flight of stairs) so you get a breeze and privacy, plus it's good to be next to the pool as that way there is more fresh air (the ones behind ours were a bit gloomy and didn't get the breeze like ours. So thanks to our agent for getting us one of the best rooms and thanks to the staff a the Golden Beach for a great stay. The room was spotless, service standards were much higher than I had been led to believe by other reviewers on this website, and the breakfasts were good - can't comment on the lunches and dinners as we almost always are out.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Golden Beach Resort

Reviewed April 10, 2014

I live and work in Thailand so I have traveled around the country quite a bit. I have to say that aside from the location, which is great, and the pool area, there is nothing really positive to say about this hotel.

The breakfast, which is not good at all, is served in a fly-infested room. The food is bland and not befitting a "four star" hotel. If I want processed cheese and spaghetti for breakfast I'll go to 7-11. Right, the service is terrible. The girls at the front desk can't even sort out internet, IN THE LOBBY, for you. My mom asked several times for help with getting online, only to be told various lines (the wi fi was "getting fixed", etc). Ah, the rooms are musty and very inadequate for the price. The tv (yes I know you don't go on vacation to watch tv, but I would still like to have CNN or BCC) has about 18 channels, most of which are in Thai. The beds are hard, as are the pillows, and the rooms in general are just very old. Oh, the maid is great, but alas the rooms are not worth the price.

I mentioned previously that the pool area was great, and it was, but what I failed to tell you was that the pool closes at 6pm. Yes, you read that correctly. It doesn't open till about 7am and CLOSES at 6. What kind of hotel closes its pool before the sun even sets? I'm serious about this. What, you're reading your Kindle, waiting to take a few pics of the sunset and they ask you to leave.

I will say though, again, that the beach is close by, as is the downtown area, but like all of Ao Nang, this place simply isn't worth your time or money.

Room Tip: If you want a double bed make sure you ask more than once. We showed up to twin beds, even after ask...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2014

The service in this hotel was very poor, no greetings, and the front desk personnel were not helpful at all. Wi-fi was not available all the time, even at the lobby. I wanted to go to a specific restaurant for dinner, so I wrote the name down and asked the front desk to check for the address on the internet using the PC since the wi-fi in the lobby was not working. She said, 'There is no internet', and when I asked her to check with the phone directory, she pretended to pick up the phone, and a few seconds later said that she couldn't find the number.

There were no greetings or smiles from the employees except for maybe a couple of them throughout my three-day stay there. Breakfast was not impressive at all, and they serve even on chipped plates and saucers. Towels were worn-out, hard and seemed more like bathroom mats!

Apart from the location, which is right in front of Aonang Beach, and close to the shops, I do not have anything nice to say about this hotel. What a letdown!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank ShimahMorad
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Service at this hotel is probably the worst I have come across in Thailand, staff are totally disinterested. you have to get your own coffee/tea at breakfast. Not at the prices they are charging.
Thinnest towels in the world, thought they were to dry dishes not bodies.
Where is the management do they care or do they just want your money. There are plenty of better places in Thailand

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are better
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank pddThailand
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Went up from Phuket for the weekend and just had a blast. Didn't do too much in the hotel but the room was awesome and the location was superb. 40b beers and 200b massages is a great change from Phuket.The private longtail island tour was excellent and I highly recommend a visit to the Golden Beach.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Right from the first experience of dealing with the most unwelcome reception lady to the horrible breakfast and rude customer service manager. Our 13 year old daughter had to wait at reception by herself as she was allowed to come to our room nor was she allowed near the pool!!!! Beware this ace is a rip off - heaps of other great choices in Ao Nong...

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Sollynz
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Good location. Beach across the road. Beach not swimmable at certain times of day. In the morning high tide and evenings the tide pulls back too far!

Good size room. They provided twin beds and we just pushed it together.
Air-con too cold at times. During the night we would switch it on/off which interfered with our sleep.
We bought bug spray and early evening, before leaving for dinner, we would spray the room for mosquitoes. It worked well for us.

Wi-fi was working sporadically. I discovered that I did not have to sit in the lobby for wi-fi. When wi-fi worked, I sat on the balcony/in the room (sit close to sliding door). My room was behind the swimming pool.

The chamber maid had them charge us for water that she never issued. Beware the Evian water is not free!! Only the water in the glass bottles.
On arrival there was Evian water which we drank. However, she never replenished the water on our remainder days. We got charged on checking out for water that we never received.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple