“Great little resort”

Ranked #24 of 108 Hotels in Ao Nang
Brisbane
“Great little resort”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We decided to give this resort a go but became quite concerned reading negative reviews prior to our check in on 17/4 for 3 nights.
From the moment we arrived we were met as we alighted from the taxi by both a reception member and a porter for our bags. We were then given the usual welcoming drink and cold face washer. Excellent.
We had booked an Adora suite in the main building - room 1525' which met all our expectations. Although we did confuse them quite a bit when we requested a bed topper as the mattress was quite hard. Their English is quite limited, however they did their best and provided a topper of some sort at around 9.00pm which I thought was quite decent of them.
Do make use of the happy hour between 5 and 6 - 2 for the price of one, which brings the cost of drinks down.
Can recommend Apple Massage across the road from the hotel - very cheap.
Totally recommend the street vendors down the end of the road for their banana pancakes and E-San Thai and Seafood retaaurant for a very reasonably priced and authentic Thai seafood meal. Just head down the road from the hotel, turn left at the mini mart and it's a few metres along on the left. Excellent.
In all, we found this a great little resort, fabulous pool, great breakfast and lovely grounds. The only hiccup was when we were checking out and our credit cards would not work - they tried to blame our cards but in fact their service was down. Thank goodness we had cash.
We would definitely return and recommend this resort to others.

Room Tip: Adora suite in the main building
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stayed in the Adora suite with the outdoor bathtub which was amazing! The hotel location is great since it was only a short walk to the beach (although I wouldn't swim at that beach - take a long boat to the nearby islands for nicer beaches e.g. Poda Island), restaurants and the long boats. There was a decorative pot of water at the front of the suite which looked gorgeous but was a breeding ground for mosquitoes so make sure you close the doors properly when you go in and out of the rooms and bring insect repellent! Very friendly service also.

Room Tip: Would highly recommend an Adora Suite
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

I booked a deluxe room ,Checked in on the 22nd April - 25th April. We arrived at 8am to the hotel and the room wasnt ready which I understand the check in time is 2pm.

We were able to checked in at 0945hrs,which was great !! Alright here comes the 1st question mark in my head , the staff proudly inform me that my room was upgraded to a deluxe room from a superior. But I booked a deluxe? We walked right up to the hill top room ! Lots and lots of steps !!! I really appreciate they gave me a room so early but really too many steps but has a really nice view from the room :) I guess they should actually ask about the room preference before they give out the room. I'm working in a five star hotel in front office department as well, I guess that should be the main question they should ask their guest , room preference to avoid room change. I did called 2 days before check in, saying that I'll be going for a honeymoon and requested for a king bed, and they confirmed. But when I reached the hill top room , was a twin bed. Was quite disappointed.
Requested for a room change , and they upgraded me to a adora room which is so much better, much nearer to the lobby, within the building.

The thing that I really wasn't happy with was, there was a big bunch of dirty linen that placed on top of the safety box when we got into the room ! Had informed the receptionist about the matter and they say they'll check it immediately but unfortunately when we got back from outside,was still there!! Guess what was there for my whole stay!

3rd, I was taking my shower at the front of the balcony, the amenities agent did knock the door and I did say come back later as I wasn't able to open the door! Guess what , they just opened my door !!!!!!! The lucky thing was i did a door leech or else ......... Maybe they did not hear me.

4th we did inform the receptionist saying that I'll be checking out at 5am on the 25th April on the night before. Guess what ,when we got down to the reception, one of the staff Was sleeping at the couch soundly till we need to call him up a few times to tell him we need to check out. He only call up the receptionist to come to the reception to check us out. It took 15 mins to check us out ! I'd been into many hotel and this is the 1st time I need to wait for a staff to come / get up from his bed to check us out. I thought was supposed to be 24hours someone needed to be at the reception? Then what's the point of me telling them that I'll be checking out early ?

I'll say kudos to the staff in the breakfast area they were friendly and wonderful breakfast ! Really wonderful :) can't wait to have breakfast every morning !

Most likely I won't go back to the hotel again. It was alright overall. But the service provided was quite disappointing. I'll not recommend it to anyone as well. My room number was #1525. I did left my email address on the reg card. Thank you so much

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chloetaypy
Shanghai, China
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at Pakasai Resort, but I was a bit disappointed to find it so far away from the beach. "Far" is only a ten minute walk, but from the description on the website and the photos I thought the beach would be much closer. The pool on the top is not infinity and does not look out to the beach. Our room was also a 5-10 minute walk uphill from the entrance--this resort is HUGE. Although the inside of the resort was beautifully arranged like a mini rainforest, it still was a hassle to climb up and down stairs every time we wanted to leave the room.

The staff was extremely friendly, and the hotel is very "green"--which I liked very much. The room comes with booklets about how to stay in eco-friendly resorts and how to help save water/energy/etc.. Really interesting.

Room is big and clean, price is great, and is a 10-15 minute walk from the beach.

Room Tip: If you're staying here, you might want to go all out and get a superior room that has hot tub on...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mary H
Sandton, South Africa
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

We had booked through booking.com a superior room. On arrival the lady who dealt with our booking informed us that they had made an error with our booking and apologized. We were sent next door to the Alis hotel for one night in honeymoon suite and our additional 4 nights we were upgraded to a suite at Pakasai. They handled this professionally and we were actually pleasantly surprised as we were upgraded.

Location: central location just off the main drag. Perfect as it was quiet and serene perched on the hill among the vast greenery. 5 minute walk to the beach where you can catch boat taxi to Railay. Less than 5 minute walk to shopping and eating.

Room: room was fair sized with private outside area undercover with spa bath. Room very clean and modern. Everything worked. Lovely shower head and water pressure excellent.

Facilities: huge pool was lovely and never really crowded. On top of the resort best place to spend the end of the day. Restaurant and bar overpriced. Cleaned room at random times so ask them to do so when it suits you.

Service: good but front desk should have a better understanding of English as communication was difficult at times.

Breakfast: your bog standard buffet breakfast. Good with egg nook and all standard European sides. Thai options could have been better.

Recommendations: for a good massage, go to apple massage directly opposite hotel. Get laundry done at 50 baht at travel place opposite hotel as cheaper. For the best Real Thai in Ao Nang eat at Troy's across the road from hotel. Local joint that cooks all Thai dishes to perfection under 100 baht. Made from scratch. Run by Thai couple. Authentic.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Iloveshoesalot
Phuket
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival in my car to check-in, it was raining. There was no one to bring an umbrella, even though the receptionist saw me pull up and sitting in the car for over half an hour.
When the rain eased a little, I got out of the car and walked to the reception to check in. I asked her if they had any bellman or was this a self-service hotel. She said she will call the bellman. Meanwhile, she asked for my passport, which I had already handed to her, albeit in a passport cover. She still insisted to have my passport.. Uhhhhh... I told her it's in her hand. She asked me again. I had to flip it open for her then she understood.
We had 2 Deluxe rooms booked, so she gave me 2 keys.
I said to her that it is only me now and I will be going to pick the other 3 persons at the Krabi airport soon, if I needed the other set of key too since they need to check in and offer their passport details as per usual hotel procedure. She just said it was adjoining room.. So I was not sure what she exactly meant to my question as every hotel guest needs to advise the hotel they are staying of their passport details and TM card number from Immigration. I did not want to pursue.
As it was still raining, I asked if there was a covered/sheltered walkway to the room. She said no... "But we have umbrella for you (a small one that just about shelters your shoulders)." She showed me a photocopy of the resort map, the print was so small that one would need a magnifying glass to see the location of the room numbers, and it was an open path with stairs.
I asked her how they were going to bring my luggage to the room without getting it wet. She said the bellman will have an umbrella... Ummmmm... That tiny one? And only one bellman to carry a couple of bags+umbrella in the rain with no shelter? I said to her that my computer is in the bag (soft nylon) and it will get wet . She replied:"it's OK. Don't worry". I repeated her answer:"it's OK if my computer gets wet." She replied "yes, it's OK".
I am rolling my eyes now. I said then I prefer to wait till the rain eases some more. Meanwhile, checking how much more time I have till I had to be at the airport to pick up my partner and friends.
Eventually, the bellman came with a pool umbrella, then we proceeded to walk to the room.
Large clean room with large bathroom and a large balcony. Just one electrical outlet available which you need to share with the provided kettle, if you're going to charge your phone/tablet/camera.
Bed is uncomfortable. Pillows are seriously bad for your neck.
6:30am the next day, half the electricity was down, including the Aircon and one light. There is hot water for a shower and water pressure and electricity for the kettle, but you are groping quite in the dark for your clothes and things.
Breakfast is a simple buffet. Good selection of fresh cut fruit and egg station serving poached eggs as well. The cappuccino tasted of cockroach ... Maybe that was from the sugar sachets (?).
On our last day, we needed to check out early as we had a morning half day kayaking. The receptionist told us we could leave our bags at the lobby (as leaving them locked up in the car would be as good as leaving your computer, devices and lipstick in an oven). She added that there is a (hospitality) room for us to shower later before leaving.
When we returned from kayaking and requested for the hospitality room to get a shower and changed, we were told it was the at the pool. Fine. When we got to the pool, which was upstairs of the restaurant, there were no signs directing us to a (hospitality) room. Upon asking staff at the pool, we would actually be using the shower facility at the pool, downstairs. Fine. Grabbed a towel, and walked in the direction of the restrooms. Poorly lit restrooms which had a mouldy smell and no ventilation. There was no shower gel nor shampoo. No hair dryer.
The hotel, is far away from the beach. Has no scenic view and with the mosque nearby, you can hear the prayers. It is a short distance to the main street of Ao Nang where the shops, banks, massages, restaurants are. A plus is the small row of street vendors just 50m from the entrance of the hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank h2obabe
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We stayed here from 16th December for 16 nights. Sorry for the late review our case has been on going.
Im not saying a lot as all 4 of us have had enough of talking about it but thought we should let people know.
We went as 2 couples, 1 couple transfer arrange by hotel didn't turn up so we had to pay for 1 couple to come with us even though ours was going there anyway. We did this after hrs of travelling. Anyway we arrive to hotel to find out they have no reservation for any of us. After hrs of waiting they find us a room but not the other couple. In the end we were all happy with great staff and to be honest a lovely hotel.
We then received a letter about 10 days later saying they had over booked and that if we wanted to we could go to a 5 star beautiful hotel in Ko lanta. we went for 2 nights and wasted our holiday, It was a building site!! We did complain and we received a 500 baht voucher, what a insult. Honestly we felt so cheated by the glossy brochure but thought we would go as we had been at pakasai for a few days and had seen quite a bit there and it was free as a gd gesture.
Upon our last day we were finally going home and what happens? not only does one of our transfer turn up again but they tried billing us for items we had on our rooms which turned out to be another room!!!
Have been to Thailand 3 times and we will never return to Pakasai or book with Kenwood travel, however ao nang is great and there is lots of better hotels to stay in. A £4000 luxury xmas holiday turned to dust.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple