“Terrible experience” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #84 of 106 Hotels in Ao Nang
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Terrible experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

First of all, i would like to start off by saying that my partner and i booked the Cliff Ao Nang resort as a three day treat to ourselves after staying in budget accommodation in Bangkok and Phuket. However, from the minute we arrived, things started to go down hill very quickly. The drink we received upon arrival was nothing short of foul tasting. We then were taken to our room. And that is exactly what it was... a tiny tiny room. The room was extremely dark and had an overwhelming smell of mould. Within five minutes of being in the room i was bitten at least three times by the mosquitos flying everywhere (There was a mosquito net for the bed but it was pointless as there were large holes in it everywhere). Not able to handle the overpowering stench of the musky mould or the mosquitos, we decided to order lunch and retreat out onto our not so private porch. after twenty mins, our food arrived and we began to eat. After a few minutes, i looked down at the ground (and thank god i did) and saw a huge two metre snake about thirty centimetres away from me! We immediately alerted staff and after about ten minutes of trying to communicate to them what the problem was they said everything was fine and that they would handle it. My partner and i then waited at least twenty mins before someone unenthusiastically came over to inspect the snake. They finally removed it and we retreated back inside. The next day we spent some time by the pool. Trying to relax, we were continuously interrupted by a woman that was sweeping the pool area over and over again (there was nothing to sweep)! There were even several instances where she would come right up to you and start sweeping right under our deck chairs while we were reading/ sun baking. The pool is also right next to the reception desk so we constantly were hearing the chatter and laughing of the staff. This was a real shame because otherwise, the pool area would have been quite a nice relaxing spot. By the third day, i felt so sick and heavy chested from the repulsive and overwhelming smell of mould in our room (i can not stress enough how bad the mould smell was) that me and my partner would do anything just to stay out of the room. Overall, this place was extremely run down and not well kept (there was rubbish everywhere in our outdoor showering area) and we found the staff not very welcoming. This was a real shame because we received much better facilities and service at our budget accommodation in Bangkok and Phuket. My partner and myself are not fussy people but we did not have a nice experience and the facilities are nowhere near the standard of the price that they are charging. We would not stay here again.

Room Tip: All the rooms stink of mould and are swamped with mosquitos.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Luke O

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is my first visit Krabi and stayed 4 nights in Ao Nang.
Good location in An Nang and walkable distance to the pier.
Smiley staff there. All of them are so courtesy and willing to provide any travel information to you.
Good hotel accommodation and comfortable environment.
Set breakfast can be served in room or in their restaurant with enjoyable view however a little bit lack of choice.
The only small problem is the mosquito when take shower in outdoor bathroom (hahahahaha~)
Don't forget to bring mosquito repellent there!
Generally speaking, this hotel provide good quality and warmest service, highly recommend to all visitor and I will definitely go back next time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lunlunshen
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

First of all, the staff are excellent! Always helpful and smiley!!! Good location in Ao Nang, walkable distance to most eatery and bars.

Like many reviews mentioned before - please remember to let the staff know the night before of your breakfast choice. It is understandable as The Cliff is a boutique hotel, they want to be prepared and cater to their guests to the best that they can.

I was in room 108 (if i'm not wrong), the right corner unit behind the suite (left side of the pool). I killed at least 9 mosquitoes in the 1st hour - I'm obessed because I have an allergy to some of the mosquitoes where the area bitten would swell and turn into a bruise mark which will take ages to fade. I've requested for mosquito coils that I can burn in the semi-open air bathroom (where most of the mosquitoes come from). Be careful of your conversations in the bathroom as your neighbor can hear word for word if they are in the bathroom at the same time or left their doors opened.

My partner loves the mattress on concrete concept.

Walls were thin, I can hear the guests just arrived next door in the evening as we were getting ready to head out for dinner and I was dozing off after dinner after a big day out on the islands when the guests next room were talking, giggling, laughing etc. I had to call front office to let them handle it.

The hotel is showing its age, maybe time for some touch up- improving the bathroom: water heater system, fan to keep the area cool- it's an oven in the day (from the sun and the A/C compresser), sound proofing the walls between rooms and toilets, PLEASE do something about the mosquitoes (you get bitten for sitting on the throne in seconds).

In short, The Cliff is a charming boutique hotel, good location with a great backdrop.

2 Thank liz_t83
Floral Park, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Love love love this hotel. This is a great hotel that I highly recommend. I'm sure there are other hotels in Ao anang that are just as nice or nicer, but the staff can't compare. I highly rate the staff, who are extremely courteous and helpful, (Thank you Nou). Like another reviewer mentioned communication is not an issue. The place looks exactly like the photos. I found the bungalow to be on the small side, but very very comfortable. I didn't find mosquitoes to be an issue while I was there ( I also used the net around the bed). I really loved the bathroom on the outside (one of the reasons why I chose this hotel), its of course private and secure, and I found it a novel experience. Breakfast was great, I enjoyed it every morning. The hotel is a short walk to the restaurants, shops and the beach, the shuttle to the airport is directly across the street. Highly recommend! I would def. return. I went solo but I saw quite a few couples though so I guess its a good honeymoon spot.
I did find it odd that the front desk closed at 11pm, why is that? But staff is still on the grounds.
Oh, I spend 4days, 3night

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank fancylisa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for my honeymoon. Really nice style little bungalows. Not the largest room but fine for us as you dont come to thailand to spend it in a room. Clean rooms. They serve breakfast to your room and the staff are super friendly. Highly recommend to anyone staying in ao nang. Short walk to the beach.

• Stayed January 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed for 3 days 2 nights at this resort. We bought a package that includes longtail boat tour, 30 mins foot massage and 1 dinner for two. What i can say is, it is worth the money i paid. The room was quite small but we dont have problem with it. The room was clean, the outdoor bathroom is cute and unique. The tour was fun, and we had foot massage after came back from tour, which was really relaxing. We also had fun during dinner at the resort's restaurant. Food was tasty and service was excellent. The only problem we had only during when i made the booking for airport transfer. The management didnt reply my email and i had to call them to make sure they noted my arrival time. And another problem we had was, there were a few bees buzzing around the lamps at the bathroom but was easily solved by turning off the light. Overall, the staff were helpful, they served our breakfast in front of the room every morning and i got nothing to complain about this resort.

• Stayed January 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just returned from a 4 days/3 nights stay at The Cliff Ao Nang. There are some aspects that we liked and some that we didn’t.

Aspects that we liked about this resort:
1. The warm hospitality and quick service of all the staff there. They were courteous and communication wasn't an issue. The GM, Pimchana Kaewpadung was prompt in replying my enquiries through email. I need to mention that Mai in reception was very pleasant, friendly and helpful.

2. The natural and peaceful ambience of the resort- natural designs and lots of greens and lovely orchid flowers around. The fact that the hotel was away from the more happening area of Ao Nang beach worked well for us. As the hotel is situated away from the late night restaurants and bars, we weren’t disturbed by any loud music at night.

3. The resort’s location- We didn't mind that the beach was a 20 minute leisure walk away (or 15 minutes brisk walk). At least we got our daily dose of exercise and had to chance to do some souvenir shopping along the way. There are also many foreign exchange counters, restaurants, bars and taxi and tour companies along the route to the beach.

5. An assorted variety of TV channels- 25 channels all in all, not only Thai programmes, but also programmes in various other languages such as English, French, German, Italian, Dutch. There were 3 channels for children (one was in Thai), and mostly news and others like Bio, CI, Universal and travel channel. They don't have any sports channel though.

6. The food- The daily breakfast we had was tasty and sufficient. Three breakfast variety to choose from (Continental, American or local). All includes fresh fruit juice (orange/watermelon/ pineapple), coffee/tea/hot chocolate and fruits. We tried all three types and they were good. The continental breakfast portion may look small, but the pancake was filling. The 3-course dinner we had on the 2nd night was a little spicy but delicious. The portion was just nice for us.

7. Wifi connection- Upon check in, we were given the password for the Wifi access. The Wifi connection was excellent. No complaints there. For those without Wifi devices, there is a PC near the reception/ restaurant area with Internet connection. The Internet connection is also good there. The hotel also has printing services. If you use the PC, just beware of the mosquitoes around, especially during the late evening.

Aspects that we did not like about the resort:

1. MOSQUITOES!! There were so many of them every where. We tried to swat as many mossies as we could when we got to our room. A tip is to ALWAYS leave the room door and bathroom door close to reduce the chance of mosquitoes entering the room. We didn’t get bitten in our room as we did this. Bring along mosquito repellent as well and make sure you apply it before you go outside the room or around the hotel compound. Beware of the Aedes mosquito especially at dawn and dusk.

2. Uninvited guests in the outdoor bathroom and roof top- beside the pesky mossies, I saw a rat scuttling away when I was showering. That certainly made me jump! After this incident, I was wary when using the bathroom. On the second night, I heard them moving around on the roof and squeaking. Good thing is I didn’t find any rats faeces in the area. A unique looking frog also made its home at the corner near the toilet bowl, but I didn’t mind that so much as compared to the rats.

3. The water heater- It was inconsistent. Sometime it would be working and sometimes it shuts off itself. Because the shower is outdoors, it can get a little chilly when the wind blows. Make sure you have your bathrobe nearby.

4. No tea/coffee making facilities in the room. However, I requested from the reception for a kettle and they sent a Thermos water dispenser to our room. Glasses were already provided in the room.

Some other tips:
-It is true that the room itself is small. However, we didn't mind as we didn't have a massive suitcase. However, those with huge suitcases would find it hard, but what you can do is unpack some stuff into the cupboard provided and then leave your suitcase upright.

All in all, I would say, for the price we paid and the service we received, it was a good stay. I would recommend this resort for a short getaway for couples. The room is just nice for two and it is ideal for a peaceful night’s rest.