“Peace and quiet in the busy center of ao nang”

The Cliff Ao Nang Resort
Ranked #93 of 111 Hotels in Ao Nang
Reviewed December 4, 2011

The Cliff in Ao Nang is a really nice place to stay in for a few nights ... it's really quiet altough we're right near by a really busy street - it is located about 10 min walk from the beach... The view and ambiance feels like we're in a tropical far away place ... We had room 204 and it's probably the best room considering it's right next to the pool which for me was the best part - almost like a natural lake. The room we had was about 35m2 with a great open-air bathroom.The service was excellent - the management has just changed recentely - we stayed end of nov 2011.

Room Tip: Rooms 204, 203 next to the pool are really nice
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karolina S

Reviewed November 4, 2011

My Partner and I stayed here from October 27-28, 2011. After carefully selecting resorts, I finally chose this one because of all the beautiful pictures shown on its website. I arrived at the resort close to 4pm and was greeted by the manager + staff. We were given our welcome drinks ( which tastes horrible ) and cool towels for refreshment. We were then shown to our room, I find the room WAY too small, with a king size bed and mosquito net on top, I did find the outdoor rainshower and toilet pretty cool tho. We spent little time in the resort exploring a little bit then we went out to explore the rest of the town, as well as grabbed dinner.

We arrived back at the resort close to 10 pm, realizing there were no one at the reception, thinking that the lady might be in the bathroom, I went back to my room, looked at the breakfast menu and picked up the phone to order my next day breakfast. There were no answer, I try again in 2 mins, there was no answer as well. I began to get worried and went out to the reception area to ask for help. When I try to lock my door, the key would not work, the lock didn't turn. I went to the security booth to look for the guard, there was no one there as well. My worrisome quickly grew to panic, I thought something terrible must have happened when I was gone. I walked around the resort, yelling " Hello", there were no reply. I went back to the reception area trying to call for help then realizing I do not know the local emergency number! There were a post-it on the counter with employees' name and number written on it. I began dialing from the list and with the forth number, finally a sleeping voice answered my call, I try to explain to her I am a staying guest at the resort and I could not find anyone in the resort. She speaks very little English and basically told me to stay put and wait. Someone will come shortly, sure enough after 5 mins, a lady in uniform showed up in the dark who speaks very little English as well. I asked her why no one was here, her answer left me totally speechless. " WE ARE CLOSE FROM 10PM - 7 AM." She said. I could not believe what I have just heard, I spent the next 30 mins trying to explain how this is ridiculous and absurd. I was wasting my breath, I think she only understood 5% of what I was saying, she kept trying to get in touch with the manager for me, who speaks good English, she could not be reached. Furious and frustrated, there was nothing I can do. I was not able to pay out of pocket for another resort and I had to look for one too, it was already almost 11:30pm. I had to get up at 7am the next morning to join the Island tour I joined. I told her my lock would not work, she went to my room to take a look and switched me to a suite ( the only suite they have in the resort). The "Suite" was almost 3 times as big as the original room, with a huge bathtub ( which looks like has not been cleaned or used in months ), there were actually space for me to lie my suitcase down and unpack. I finally ordered the breakfast with the lady and ask to speak with the manager the next morning. My holiday mood was surely gone after dealing with all the drama and frustration.

The next day, I finally get to speak to the manager who told me, she is very sorry about what happened. She would have been upset and angry as well if the same thing happens to her. Its low season, therefore no one is here from 10pm - 7am. Even during Peak season, they are closed as well but they have longer working hours. She offered to arrange transportation for me to the other resort we will stay at, dinner on the house. I took her offer on the transportation but skipped dinner. This resort basically ruined my first night in Krabi for our vacation. I would not recommend anyone for this resort, unless they are my enemy.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Christine H
TheCliffAonang, General Manager at The Cliff Ao Nang Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2011

Regarding to the review from the 4 NOV 2511from Ms. Christine
Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. On behalf of new management team in The Cliff Aonang resort , we are appreciated
your willingness to share your thoughts.Your comments are important to the success of our organization. We would like to have this chance to inform our guests all in the future and also
who already had your stay.
We have now 24 hours guest service assistance at front office .
and since the new management team has taken into account all the issues in the review,
we would like to assure that all those matters
which has caused the disappointment has been resolved.
We hope you will allow us a opportunity to provide a high quality service in the near future.

Pimchana K. (Ms.)
Resort Manager
E-mail: gm@thecliffkrabi.com , pimchana0104@hotmail.co.uk
Tel :+66 (0) 7563-8117,+66(0) 84-445-4939
Fax : +66 (0) 7563-8116

Reviewed October 25, 2011

The Cliff Beach hotel is one of the nicer hotels in Aonang. I thought the rooms were a good size, with more than enough space for the king size bed and more. We had a cliff view room where the view was of the cliff and sea and was lovely to wake up to. The balcony was a good size and contained a bath tub, a nice touch. The bathroom had a great rain shower. All in all an extremely comfortable room.

Breakfast was great with a fantastic selection of hot/cold food including a variety of hot thai dishes (as well as the usual european fare). The restaurant served a good selection of food and there was 20% discount for guests.

Location was central and there were a good selection of restaurants within walking distance. Azurro, the authentic Italian restaurant being one of them.

We paid 150 baht (£3, $5) for internet for 4 days but it was worth it for convenience. However, there is free internet access in the lobby.

Staff were nice and helpful, all in all we had a great stay.

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher levels have good views and are less noisy
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2011

This hotel is like an oasis in Ao Nang. Romantic and peaceful. Beautiful bungalows/rooms, loved the outdoor bathroom. Service is amazing, staff is so friendly. The restaurant is awesome, great food, the best we had in Ao Nang. A lush breakfast was served outside our bungalow in the morning, you just let the staff know what you want and at what time. Loved everything about The Cliff. Great value for money!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Nice hotel, however I think the claim of being rated among the 50 most beautiful resorts is overstated. Very friendly all women staff who really made the stay comfortable. The open loo can be a welcome open space and a mosquito menace as well....breakfast was always fantastic

Room Tip: Pick the rooms away from the pool if u want some privacy..the resort is smaller than it looks
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2011

We arrived- staff were not friendly or welcoming. The lobby is tired and shabby looking. Next the pool- very unkept would probably not get in. Next the room - smelt awful- the mildew stench was unbearable so we requested to move to a different room. The next room we experienced had holes in the bed sheets. No one was staying in the resort. The rooms are packed on top of one another. It was so bad we decided to not even stay and go to another resort.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank sarahfromsydney
Reviewed April 23, 2011

My husband and I did extensive web research before choosing this property. We were looking for a quiet, non commercial resort, something out of the ordinary, preferably in a rainforest setting. The resort got good ratings, looked great in the photos so we chose it. When we arrived we were shown to our room, which was unbelievable tiny. We each have a suitcase of stuff, and there was nowhere to unpack any of it. There were no drawers, tiny closet with 6 hangers in it, and it was unbelievably hot. One wall is all glass, with barkcloth shades, looking onto a small strip of palm trees. The bathroom is outside, which is kind of cool, but again nowhere to put anything. While I was attempting to unpack my husband went to the front desk to see if there was anything bigger. the only larger room was the "villa" which is in the centre of the property. Cost of upgrading was substantial, but we had no choice. I should have mentioned that we had booked 4 nights through Agoda, so leaving the property was not an option. The villa room is very large, located right in the centre of the property with trees and plants all around, lots of windows. That is a bit of a disadvantage, though, as everyone who is staying in the surrounding units walks past. The window coverings are barkcloth Roman shades, which dont fit the windows very well. This means the sun streams in in the morning, aand at night they become transparent when the lights are on in the villa. Not too many perks associated with paying the big bucks to be in the villa, 2 waters a day only. My husband went for some ice yesterday to cool some beer we were taking to the beach, and was told we would have to pay 30 baht
for it.
Agree with most of the reviews on breakfast, it is pretty subpar. Today there was no toast.
Location is way up the street. We thought this would be a plus, perhaps make it quieter. In reality, this part of the street is kind of slummy, and it just means you have to walk that much further to get anywhere to eat or to the beach. To sum up, we ended up paying a lot more for this property, than we wanted to and got very little in service or luxury in return. Had we not been locked in by pre-booking, we would have taken one look and left.

• Stayed: April 2011