“Paradise island!”

and up
Day Trip to Krabi Islands by Speedboat from Phuket
Ranked #6 of 60 things to do in Ao Nang
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We love it! Every year we visit Krabi and every time we swim on Koh Poda. It's a small paradise, but when no tourist on it.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,141)
All reviews
in 121 reviews
"fishes"
in 64 reviews

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The sensory overload of the blinding white sand, the clear water and the friendly fish should put Poda Island in Thailand on everyone’s bucket list. The water isn’t even turquoise; I’m talking about the kind of clear that allows you to see your toenails when you’re standing in water up to your waist.

Taking a motor-driven ‘longtail’ boat here (yes, the boat is long but narrow) steered by a local takes approximately 15 minutes from Ao Nang. On arrival, you climb off the boat, step into the body-warm water (especially when it’s peak season) and walk the last five metres to the beach. The burning heat coming from both the sun above you and the sand under your feet makes it almost unbearable to keep your cool, at this point your body screams for refreshing water.

When you’re in the water, the yellow and black-striped fish instantly approach you. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have food or snacks in your hand, they’re probably as used to you as the Thai people is. If you do have anything of interest in your hand, expect a swarm of fish tickling your skin with their fins.

There are a few beaches I remember thanks to their white sand, such as Whitehaven Beach in Queensland, Australia. The rest of them are beaches in Thailand and Poda Island is not an exception. The sand is so white it blinds you if you’re not wearing sunglasses.

Another memorable moment from Poda Island is meeting the man selling corncobs. Maybe I was a farmer in my past life, but I loved watching him cook the corn as well as smelling the butter melting on it after he had cooked it and put it on a stick like a lollipop.

I realised the images of the dazzling white sand, the black stripes of the fish shining through the water, and the smiling man with the golden corncobs would stay with me forever when I saw Poda Island disappear in the horizon as I was back on the boat to Ao Nang.

1  Thank Elin J
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Out of all the island we visited this island was the best. Beautiful and Relaxed atmosphere. I do not know who (must be a lucky guy) has a private area in this island. The area is fenced with barbed wire. The big mountain on this island looked really masculine and bold.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Poda used to be quite beautiful many years ago. Now it is a popular spot for visitors from Ao nang and surrounding Krabi areas. Be prepared in the high season to find a beach littered with rubbish and very busy. Not the quiet place it used to be when I first started coming. My last visit was the last as it is now so totally spoiled.