“Great value for money. Good location. Friendly staff.”

The Nine Hotel @ Ao Nang
Ranked #16 of 144 Specialty Lodging in Ao Nang
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We (couple from Romania) stayed at the NIne Hotel for 4 nights (01.06.-05.06). We had a really nice stay. The location is very good (very close to the beach, located on the main road, surrounded by restaurants, bars, supermarkets, souvenir shops). The room was clean and quite spacious (they cleaned the room and changed the towels every day). We also received one liter of bottled water per day. The breakfast was more than ok, but it was the same every morning : eggs, bacon, sausages, toast, croissants, milk, yogurt, cereals, tea/coffee/ orange juice, watermelon.
The interior decorations and arrangements of the hotel were really nice with traditional motifs.
The receptionist was a very friendly and helpful guy that helped us every time we had a problem, with a big smile on his face. He speaks English pretty good and he also can help you book day tours (the prices are a bit higher than the prices that you can negotiate with the tour operators). All the hotel staff was more than nice and efficient.
Great value for money.
Minus- We got a room at the second floor with a view to the mountain, which wasn’t so great because the balcony was closed with a wooden lattice and you couldn’t see much (but this didn’t affect us too much because most of the time we were on day tours).
If you are a light sleeper, I would say the hotel is a little bit noisy (noise coming from the bars or from other rooms).
The shower drain was not working properly and the water drained very slow.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ana Maria N

Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my bf for 4 days 3 nights. We made booking through booking.com. The price was reasonable and at that time all the hotels near the beach were fully booked so we had to book something a bit far. It's about a 15minutes or longer walk towards the beach. They provide breakfast in the morning. There's no water pressure in the shower. The ac isn't cooling enough, they also restrict you from reducing the temperature below 18 degrees Celsius. Which is ridiculous as it is so hot and humid there. We weren't bothered as we were out for the most part and we were just back to shower and sleep pretty much. What pissed me off is that we lost some of our money while we were out. Never going back there again!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank unebellefemme07
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days 3 nights during Mar 2014. No regrets at all. I booked the Standard room via email with Pat. Upon check-in, they serve us a glass of juice. Our room was on level 3, we realised that there was some prob with the plumbing in the toilet and highlighted to Pat. Becoz my hubby had trouble climbing the stairs, we asked if we can change to a room on level 2. Pat immediately changed for us.
Service of staff: GREAT!!

ROOM was cleaned daily, the first room we had there was some ants on the table. The 2nd room was much cleaner. Towels, TV and the basic stuff are mostly available, but no hair dryer.

Walk to beach: 10mins (be prepared to cover yourself with loads and loads of sunblock before leaving the hotel) Singapore is HOT, but KRABI is worst.
Directly opposite the hotel, there is 7-11.
My package includes 2 way airport transfer.
Bus stop to Krabi town is located opp our hotel. you can check with the staff for more details.
Rental of motorcycle: just a few shops away from our hotel, there is a shop renting out motorcycle.

Location: GREAT!!

Breakfast: Cereal, bread, juices, eggs, sausage and toast.
Not much variety but we find it still alright.

Overall: Amazing staff with friendly deposit and beautiful smiles to make your day.

1  Thank HongGongGong
Reviewed March 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the nine for 2 nights whilst travelling around Thailand. We loved our stay here, the staff are all extremely friendly, warm and helpful. Our room was lovely with a great view of the ao nang cliffs, our bed was one of the comfiest we have stayed in whilst on our 5 month travels. The hotel is situated on the outskirts of town, it is about a 10 minute stroll into the main town but there are loads of shops, restaurants and bars right outside the hotel if you don't feel like walking to town. We highly recommend the nine!

Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights recently and really .oved it. The only reason I didn't give top marks was the lack of lift and the stairs but you cant have everything!
The staff were helpful and friendly, the room spacious and clean with an extremely comfortable bed,. The location is perfect, in the centre of everything and only less than 10 mins walk to the beach.
Breakfast was really good and plentifull.a choice of eggs with bacon and sausage, cereal, toast , juice and fruit. Really set you up for the da

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms at front
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We were not expecting too much when we arrived at the nine hotel because we knew Ao nang was very touristic and all the hotels looked expensive for what they were offering but we had a good surprise!! The reception staff was friendly and had a good level of english compare to many other places, they gave us a glass of juice upon arrival (nice as it was sooo hot outside) and then they show us to our room. We were amazed by the size of the room and the bed. It looks like a very good 4* for european standards. The bathroom has a nice rain forest shower, the bed was super comfi and A/C was already on when we arrived!!! They have a small balcony but no viez, we didn't care as the beach was 5-10 minutes walk. Breakfast is included in the price and they have a good offer of cooked eggs and bacon + a small buffet.
A big + was the service, the reception staff was nice and helpful, we were trying to book a hotel in Phang Nga and they called a central reservation for us without being asked. They gave us details as well to take public transport even if it's not interesting for them (they offer private transport and I guess get a commission). We had one of the best night sleep in this hotel over the 2 weeks we spent in Thailand so will definitely recommand it

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Having failed to find a highly customer rated hotel at the last minute it was a relief to find the Nine's on Booking.com. All the latest reviews had either been very good or excellent, so we booked with confidence believing we had found a place convenient for the beach, comfortable and with excellent staff. Well we were in for a surprise! For a start, as the bus from the airport followed a route from the beach up the road we thought he must have made a mistake and missed our stop. But no he hadn't, the hotel is a good ten minute walk from the beach and remember it can be 38 degrees outside! I walk 5 miles everyday at home so I'm no slow coach.
OK on arrival we were greeted by the very friendly staff that other people had mentioned. We were shown to our room on the second floor, there is no lift but that's not a problem. Now I had requested a quiet room with a view and hadn't really expected we'd get exactly what we wanted. But on the other hand I never expected to get the complete opposite, plus more.
Let's start with the view at the back of the hotel or should I say the no view! There is a kind of outside space completely enclosed by closely spaced dark wooden slats - you can't see beyond them. I'm not exaggerating when I say prison bars would have been better!! And like prison bars you can't open them - well apart from a small section at the end - I think. The joke is why do they put the only chairs available for the room out there?. I know, it's because there is no space for them inside. Yes, the only thing you can sit on in the small room is the one stool, or else you're on the bed the whole time.
I'll move on to the worst aspect of our stay - the noise. Next door but one is a construction site for a new hotel. From 8:30 in the morning to 18:00 in the evening there is a constant barrage of banging, drilling and grinding - there is no let up. Forget about a sleep in, or a snooze in the afternoon after a mornings trip to the beach or other activity. I have recorded a video and will try to add it to this site if the option is available. Of course like most people I went to complain. First of all I was asked ' what noise', haha are they having a laugh I thought because you can hear it at reception even above the loud music they try to mask it with. Then it's ' oh its not our fault it's the building work next door'. This was the same excuse they offered when I asked them 'why don't you at least warn customers about what is going on', in other words they don't want you to know before its too late. I asked if they'd move us but they said they were fully booked and couldn't. In fact they didn't volunteer anything in recompense but instead said we were the only people to ever complain about the noise - I don't think so, search hard enough and you will find others. In any case I would rather tell other people on here about our experience than be paid off. I reckon there is still a few weeks/ months work left, so I hope you take this into consideration before booking One thing is for certain the hotel has no intention of telling you what's going on, and it could easily spoil your holiday.

The 'plus more' I mentioned earlier regards the insects in our room. We found cockroaches on two occasions - which to be fair could have entered under the 'patio' doors. And next, ants - only small ones but be aware if you leave a drink or snack aside for any length of time you'll get a mouth full of them next time you tuck in.

Other points, for our room there was no instructions on what to do in the event of a fire and no obvious route out apart from back down the hotels stairs, or break through the wooden slats and across a corrugated roof. Our particular room was in need of a few cosmetic finishing touches including a fresh lick of paint in some areas. The bathroom was a good size and included a nice looking rain shower but unfortunately only outputs the meakest drizzle due to the low water pressure. The bed was big and comfortable and the air con worked well. TV reception and picture quality was poor.

There is a security guard on duty overnight, or should I say a iPhone reader who never takes his eyes off his mobile. You could walk past him with the hotel's safe and he wouldn't notice!

The hotel decor is pleasant and kept clean. Free wifi was available in the room and in reception area. Breakfast is a buffet affair and quite adequate. There are plenty of places to eat and entertainment within walking distance. The hotel staff will help you organising activities but you can save money by walking down the road and using the local agents.

To sum up, I would say, there are no doubt better rooms at the hotel with more space and better views. But there is no getting away from the noise at the present time. Even without it we have stayed in better, safer and more secure places for the sa me or less money.

• Stayed: February 2014