“Fantastic stay at a fantastic hotel”

The Nine Hotel @ Ao Nang
Ranked #15 of 142 Specialty Lodging in Ao Nang
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stay at a fantastic hotel”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the nine for 2 nights whilst travelling around Thailand. We loved our stay here, the staff are all extremely friendly, warm and helpful. Our room was lovely with a great view of the ao nang cliffs, our bed was one of the comfiest we have stayed in whilst on our 5 month travels. The hotel is situated on the outskirts of town, it is about a 10 minute stroll into the main town but there are loads of shops, restaurants and bars right outside the hotel if you don't feel like walking to town. We highly recommend the nine!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Leitrim, Ireland
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights recently and really .oved it. The only reason I didn't give top marks was the lack of lift and the stairs but you cant have everything!
The staff were helpful and friendly, the room spacious and clean with an extremely comfortable bed,. The location is perfect, in the centre of everything and only less than 10 mins walk to the beach.
Breakfast was really good and plentifull.a choice of eggs with bacon and sausage, cereal, toast , juice and fruit. Really set you up for the da

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms at front
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We were not expecting too much when we arrived at the nine hotel because we knew Ao nang was very touristic and all the hotels looked expensive for what they were offering but we had a good surprise!! The reception staff was friendly and had a good level of english compare to many other places, they gave us a glass of juice upon arrival (nice as it was sooo hot outside) and then they show us to our room. We were amazed by the size of the room and the bed. It looks like a very good 4* for european standards. The bathroom has a nice rain forest shower, the bed was super comfi and A/C was already on when we arrived!!! They have a small balcony but no viez, we didn't care as the beach was 5-10 minutes walk. Breakfast is included in the price and they have a good offer of cooked eggs and bacon + a small buffet.
A big + was the service, the reception staff was nice and helpful, we were trying to book a hotel in Phang Nga and they called a central reservation for us without being asked. They gave us details as well to take public transport even if it's not interesting for them (they offer private transport and I guess get a commission). We had one of the best night sleep in this hotel over the 2 weeks we spent in Thailand so will definitely recommand it

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Having failed to find a highly customer rated hotel at the last minute it was a relief to find the Nine's on Booking.com. All the latest reviews had either been very good or excellent, so we booked with confidence believing we had found a place convenient for the beach, comfortable and with excellent staff. Well we were in for a surprise! For a start, as the bus from the airport followed a route from the beach up the road we thought he must have made a mistake and missed our stop. But no he hadn't, the hotel is a good ten minute walk from the beach and remember it can be 38 degrees outside! I walk 5 miles everyday at home so I'm no slow coach.
OK on arrival we were greeted by the very friendly staff that other people had mentioned. We were shown to our room on the second floor, there is no lift but that's not a problem. Now I had requested a quiet room with a view and hadn't really expected we'd get exactly what we wanted. But on the other hand I never expected to get the complete opposite, plus more.
Let's start with the view at the back of the hotel or should I say the no view! There is a kind of outside space completely enclosed by closely spaced dark wooden slats - you can't see beyond them. I'm not exaggerating when I say prison bars would have been better!! And like prison bars you can't open them - well apart from a small section at the end - I think. The joke is why do they put the only chairs available for the room out there?. I know, it's because there is no space for them inside. Yes, the only thing you can sit on in the small room is the one stool, or else you're on the bed the whole time.
I'll move on to the worst aspect of our stay - the noise. Next door but one is a construction site for a new hotel. From 8:30 in the morning to 18:00 in the evening there is a constant barrage of banging, drilling and grinding - there is no let up. Forget about a sleep in, or a snooze in the afternoon after a mornings trip to the beach or other activity. I have recorded a video and will try to add it to this site if the option is available. Of course like most people I went to complain. First of all I was asked ' what noise', haha are they having a laugh I thought because you can hear it at reception even above the loud music they try to mask it with. Then it's ' oh its not our fault it's the building work next door'. This was the same excuse they offered when I asked them 'why don't you at least warn customers about what is going on', in other words they don't want you to know before its too late. I asked if they'd move us but they said they were fully booked and couldn't. In fact they didn't volunteer anything in recompense but instead said we were the only people to ever complain about the noise - I don't think so, search hard enough and you will find others. In any case I would rather tell other people on here about our experience than be paid off. I reckon there is still a few weeks/ months work left, so I hope you take this into consideration before booking One thing is for certain the hotel has no intention of telling you what's going on, and it could easily spoil your holiday.

The 'plus more' I mentioned earlier regards the insects in our room. We found cockroaches on two occasions - which to be fair could have entered under the 'patio' doors. And next, ants - only small ones but be aware if you leave a drink or snack aside for any length of time you'll get a mouth full of them next time you tuck in.

Other points, for our room there was no instructions on what to do in the event of a fire and no obvious route out apart from back down the hotels stairs, or break through the wooden slats and across a corrugated roof. Our particular room was in need of a few cosmetic finishing touches including a fresh lick of paint in some areas. The bathroom was a good size and included a nice looking rain shower but unfortunately only outputs the meakest drizzle due to the low water pressure. The bed was big and comfortable and the air con worked well. TV reception and picture quality was poor.

There is a security guard on duty overnight, or should I say a iPhone reader who never takes his eyes off his mobile. You could walk past him with the hotel's safe and he wouldn't notice!

The hotel decor is pleasant and kept clean. Free wifi was available in the room and in reception area. Breakfast is a buffet affair and quite adequate. There are plenty of places to eat and entertainment within walking distance. The hotel staff will help you organising activities but you can save money by walking down the road and using the local agents.

To sum up, I would say, there are no doubt better rooms at the hotel with more space and better views. But there is no getting away from the noise at the present time. Even without it we have stayed in better, safer and more secure places for the sa me or less money.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank brijon
Seoul
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Staff at the Nine Hotel @ Aonang were one of the best I've ever met. They really try their best to meet the guests' needs and the kindness are real - it's not those 'trained' customer service kindness. Especially Ms. NAT at the front desk was such a warm-hearted person to help me for any matter, never losing a big smile on her face.
The hotel is spotless clean, with everything for basic need. Hairdryer is available on request for free. I stayed in the jacuzzi suite, and the bathing on a outdoor deck with mountain view was very nice. However, the deck is only blocked by sparse vegetation from the neighboring deck, so you don't have much privacy from the room next door or balconies in higher floors. Fortunately there was no one staying next door while I was there, but I hope the hotel can do some work for it - plant more greens or put some wooden panels in between.
I was worried about noise from the main street as one side of the wall was all in glass doors, but surprisingly wasn't disturbed much during the night. It was a bit annoying the bar nearby the hotel played live music loud at night but luckily they stopped before midnight.
Breakfast is very simple but tastes fine. Family Mart is right across the street.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the beach. It's on the main road with all the shops and restaurants so it's conveniently located. The thing that made this hotel so wonderful were the happy staff. Nat and Pat were very friendly and helpful. It's a nice hotel but their hospitality made it even better. We booked four rooms as we had a family trip of 7 adults and 1 child. The hotel was perfect for us. They offer a free breakfast of fruit, eggs, pastries, etc so that's an added bonus. Nat and Pat speak perfect English and have lots of information so it makes trip planning very easy. Great hotel and a great staff!!

Room Tip: There is no elevator and there are three sets of steps. So, if you don't want to climb up lots o...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Mountain View, California
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The location is further away from the beach from our first hotel, but the accommodations were very clean and modern. The entire hotel has a bit of an elephant theme and it shows in the decor.
Before entering the building, you have to leave your shoes at the door (or at least take them off before entering.) I noticed a few guests disregarding the rule, but nobody piped up. I figure that when in Rome, do as the Romans, but I guess not everyone agrees.

Room:
We had a room on the top floor. This building doesn't have an elevator, so it required a hike up 4 flights of stairs. This didn't bother me at all since I could do with some exercise after sitting in airplanes all week long.

The room itself had a huge, comfortable bed. Our bed had towels folded into elephants and the room was showered with fresh orchids. The bathroom came with an overhead rainshower, and was very clean. We had a flat screen TV and a modern air conditioning unit. On our balcony, there was a metal rack built in on the side to let us dry our clothes (for those that may go swimming.)

Fridge contained 2 bottles of complimentary water in glass bottles.

Service:
The staff at the front desk was very cordial during check-in. When we had issues with one of our tours (because the tour pickup could not speak English well), they were quick to help come and translate for us.

We even got a New Years gift from the staff (a daily elephant calendar - they have one on their front desk as well) that we keep on our fireplace mantle as a reminder. Awesome!

Some areas that might be of some concern for people:
Breakfast is a self serve continental breakfast. Even though they say that they start serving at 8AM, we were able to get food around 7:50AM. This might be important for some people since pick-up for excursions tend to be around 8-8:30AM. Breakfast included pastries (croissants and toast) with jam or nutella. You can flag down the cleaning/cooking staff and they'll bring you fresh eggs and bacon/sausage (made to order.)

Wi-fi was flaky - sometimes I would get little to no reception and would end up sucking some free wi-fi from a nearby building. This wasn't as big of an issue if you were downstairs, but from the top floor, it was slow.

Other than the few small issues, we had a great experience at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple