“massive mass tourism”

Aonang Speed Boat Tour
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Islands here are beautiful. These guys managed to turn it into cash machine with help of horde of speedboats. They will show you beautiful pictures but the reality are beaches where there is no more place for even one aditional boat or person. Look at the pictures. But worst of all - what is the impact 600-900hp speedboats roaming through before quiet lagoons? How much this nature can take? Crazy. Help stop this madness.

4  Thank PetrSidlo

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely tour to Hong islands with Discovery tours, so decided to give the must see phi-phi islands. It was not as good as expected. Boat crew very unfriendly (making a joke at the fact that I was a bit scared to snorkel in 6m deep water - I'm a non swimmer). Very little time at each location, apart from Bamboo island which was the highlight of the day. No mention was made that snorkeling will be done in deep water (my previous tour had shallow water). Lunch made me sick.

1  Thank Vishal_Hemraj
Reviewed February 6, 2014

... but: tour sold as phi phi but we only spent one and a half hour there for lunch, so not much time left for sightseeing (especially the viewpoint was too far away). snorkelling ok, but the tour was rather pricy

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We booked the Phi Phi Islands tour from the hotel under Aonang Photo Travel. We paid 1500thb per person but you can get cheaper price elsewhere. It was exciting for me because it will be my first time snorkeling. The bus was almost full when they came and pick us up. We went around to pick few other tourist and they drop us in front of Holiday Inn resort. There, the tour leaders will group us based on the tour we chose. Our leader name was Phark. He was a friendly and funny guy. We went in the boat, and I was waiting for instruction to use the life jacket before we start our journey. There were 4 small children in our speed boat and they should at least give these kids life-vest. So around 45 of us cramped in the small speed boat and went to Bamboo Island. It was so crowded and we were given 30 mins to play in the water. Then we went to see from the boat the Viking Cave. We couldn't see clearly because the sides of the boat was covered and everyone had to stand on the seat. We went for snorkeling near Monkey Bay and Lohsamah Bay. The water was not clear but still we can see the fishes and corals. We had our lunch at Phi Phi Don island and we were expecting seafood lunch like the photo in their flyers. To our surprised, it was a buffet lunch with edible lunch. Just because we were hungry, we had to eat. Maya Bay was a nightmare. It was so crowded with tourist and boats and the tour guide told us that we can only do beaching and go to the washroom. What a waste of time. Overall, i just give some credit with the snorkeling part because it was my first time. Next time, i'll rather spend more to get a private tour with less over rated islands to visit.

Oh yes, for first timer, please take your sea sickness pill. That will help you BiG time. Learnt my lesson. Take 15mins before going into the boat.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We just returned from a 25 day excursion throughout Thailand, spending our last 9 days at various locations within Krabi province. Our experiences were delightfully memorable, other than what we characterize as "the day from hell". We touched down at Ao Nang for an orientation and take off point and were beckoned by a tour business on the sidewalk. Not really a tour enthusiast, I was skeptical, but with promises of fantastic island scenery, 3 snorkeling stops and a full lunch, we committed. The next morning we were picked up at our hotel and driven to a gathering point near the boat landing. After about 30 minutes of grouping people, we were escorted to a speedboat which we entered from the water. All 50 of us, squeezed onto long benches along each side of the boat with a few benches in the middle. Off we went to the first island, a nice white sand beach, where we were lent marginal masks and snorkels and left for 45 minutes to explore a white sand bottom with few fish. Then off to view two more peaked limestone islands that had no fewer than 40 others boats crowding the seascape. Did I say view? Well, the speedboat had such high sides that only a few could capture the scenery by standing on the bench seats. And the guide continually told everyone to sit down. Then off to our lunch on Ko Phi Phi. We were marched off the boat and down the beach to a second floor large room with 20 longs tables and a buffet of rice, some chicken vegetable mixture, fried chicken wings and watermelon. Sodas and beer were offered for sale. Then off to another snorkeling bay with a boat entry, 50 snorkelers mostly with life jackets, marginal coral and 2-3 species of fish. Afterwards, we were hurried back to Ao Nang, where we were crammed into a cattle truck and delivered back to our hotel. Feeling the worst was over, had a few Singha's and went to bed. Awoke at 10:30 with nausea, abdominal cramping and both my wife and I spent the next 6 hours heaving and squirting. The next day was a travel day to Ko Yao and we attempted to keep hydrated with only sips of water.
The GI problems abated after about 24 hours and am certain that the cause was the buffet provided on Ko Phi Phi, as that was the only meal my wife and I shared over the preceding 24 hours.

Had I read the reviews on trip advisor, I would have passed on this tour.

5  Thank Gregory H