“Average value at an older but well maintained hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vogue Resort & Spa Ao Nang

and 1 more site!
Ranked #9 of 106 Hotels in Ao Nang
Quebec, Canada
“Average value at an older but well maintained hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

Just spent a night here on my way to Krabi airport. The hotel is quite old with old style bathrooms (no stand-up shower in mine, just an old-style - and old! - bathtub/shower combo with shower curtain), a little disappointing for the price paid. That being said, the beds are comfy and everything seems to work, plus amazing water pressure and lots of hot water. I was in room 1201 and slept really well - no noise whatsoever could be heard from the room, except for the occasional laughter or scream coming from the hallway outside my room. The pool / pool area is quite nice, and the beach towels left in a rattan beach bag inside the room are a nice touch, I thought.
Yet, I had one rather serious problem with my room: the kettle. I don't know whether it was defective or not, but the kettle in my room did not shut off on its own after the water started boiling. It did look like a really cheap kettle and I sure hope that these kettles are not made this way by default, as it would pose a serious fire hazard in this type of environment. Anyway, the water must have boiled for a good five minutes before I realized the kettle had not shut itself off, so I went ahead to turn it off myself and burned my right thumb in the process. I meant to mention this when I checked out, but I was in a hurry to catch the airport bus, so it skipped my mind. I know that the hotel management responds to almost all reviews here, so I look forward to reading their response on this issue later in this forum, as it is important that it be addressed.
A couple of things worth mentioning: 1- Internet works really well; 2- most of the staff is really nice and smiles can be seen pretty much all around; and 3- the (included) breakfast they serve between 7 and 10:30 in the morning is well presented and more than adequate to start off the day.
If there is one complaint about the hotel itself (and this is a major one), it would be the lack of transparency from the staff when asked about transportation options to the airport. This is a problem I seem to experience everywhere I travel to in Asia. I think I have yet to meet a reception clerk at any major hotel that is straightforward when giving out this kind of information. When I checked in, I asked the kind gentleman at reception what were my options to go to Krabi airport. He mentioned right away the hotel car/taxi, for 800 THB. When I asked him about a cheaper option, he told me about a van/shuttle, available for "around" (I don't know why he was not sure as to the exact cost) 700 THB. This still seemed way too high to me, so I enquired in the area about airport transportation, and discovered that there is an airport bus that leaves roughly every couple of hours during the day from the bus stop located a two-minute walk from the hotel towards the beach, in front of the Starbucks right after the McDonald's, on the same side of the street as the Vogue Resort. It is a white bus clearly marked "Airport Bus", it seats around 20-25 people I'd say, and you just hop on and pay 150 THB to the driver. The ride took just under an hour and was more than comfortable. Easy as pie!
I simply do not understand why hotels persist in trying to overcharge their own customers to make a few extra bucks on their back (and believe me - this hotel is nowhere cheap based on Thai standards), even when it is clear that the person asking for the information is not prepared to pay that much and would not be well served by an incomplete picture. The information I got from two different tour agencies near the hotel, I could have easily received from the hotel reception staff, if they were trained by their superiors to be forthcoming about these types of things. That would have made me feel much more positive about the hotel, and in that case I would have rated the service very good instead of poor, and the property very good instead of average.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Marc M
VogueResortNSpa, Manager at Vogue Resort & Spa Ao Nang, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear marxusboy,

I would like to start off by sincerely apologising for your recent stay with us. While it’s great that you appreciated our Swimming Pool, The Beach Bag, Free Internet Wifi, The Breakfast and particular the friendliness service from our staff but it was disheartening to read that you were let down by some of hotel physical issues, In room Kettle and Airport service information.

Regarding the airport service pick-up information, Yes our hotel private Van/Car from-to airport cost at THB 800.-(net) per way and of course we always happy on giving the information of other option and my staff should show the professional service, but my team still could have done more to help you and for this I am extremely sorry.

Thank you for notifying us of the issue you experienced with the kettle. This is indeed a hazard and although the kettles we use comply with CE Standards and feature an automatic off switch function, the one found in your room seems to be defective. Thanks to your feedback, we have now removed it and replaced with a brand new one. In addition to this, I have spoken with Housekeeping who will now add as a task on I-Clean checklist so that we can prevent this from happening in future.

As your experiences are central to our operations, I am more than happy to discuss your stay with you further. Please feel free to contact me through TripAdvisor’s Private Messages or by email at any time; (phusit.p@vogueresort.com).

Vogue Resort & Spa Ao Nang

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Avon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Recently my husband and I visited The Vogue Resort and Spa. The staff was very friendly and helpful and most spoke English. Our room was on an upper floor, with no elevator, so it is good that was not a problem for us. While there, we had a massage and felt the staff was very professional. The pool is relaxing and never seemed crowded. The pool bar had good options for lunch, but the service was slow. For breakfast, we enjoyed the buffet with such a wide variety of food that anyone should be happy! In the end we had dinner every night at the V Wine Bar and restaurant. The food was very good, the wine selection varied and excellent and the service was quite good. We looked at other restaurants, but nothing else really appealed as much. Many were not air conditioned and I got a bit annoyed at the pushy efforts to persuade us to eat at them.
The walk to the beach was five minutes, but I must say it is not the kind of beach where one sits and relaxes. It is instead where the long boats and larger tourist boats congregate and pick up the tourists. In the evening it is less so and the sunsets can be lovely. We did take a boat trip to PhI Phi Islands through the hotel and were pleased with our tour guide and the crew. The beaches there are white and offer beautiful scenery.
Shopping is plentiful, with all sorts of shops. One learns quickly to bargain about prices.
Probably the only negative about the Vogue was the oddness of how the room was organized. Fresh towels were put in the closet, the hair dryer was in a drawer (we only found it the last day) and there was a lack of privacy between the toilet and the wash basin. Only a curtain divided the space. The basin itself was too big and took up too much space on the countertop, especially when two people needed space for grooming items. However, beach and pool towels were provided along with a bag in which to carry them. One more thing, the bath towels were pretty ragged and not up to the scale of everything else in the hotel. Because the air conditioning goes off when you take your key out upon leaving, it can take a while for the room to cool down when you return.
I would recommend this hotel and would definitely consider returning if we ever go back to Ao Nang.

Room Tip: If you can't do stairs, make sure you mention that when you reserve. Our room overlooked the po...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
VogueResortNSpa, Manager at Vogue Resort & Spa Ao Nang, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear muffinAvon,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed and positive review and I am genuinely pleased to read that you and your husband had such enjoyable and memorable stay with us. It is great that you appreciated not only your room, the pool, the breakfast, the location of the hotel and particular the friendly service from our team member is well received and I will be sure to share your comments with the team.

I have noted on how the room equipment set up, the privacy in bath room and the bath towel condition, I will be sure to look into detail on those point. Regarding the step, the resort is located on a hillside, and yes, we do not have any elevator in the resort at the moment. So for those who prefer the view, rather that access, I would recommend the Grand Deluxe Rooms at the top of our hillside. If guest prefer no step, we have rooms located in the Superior Room category without a single step to enter the room and I delighted to inform that we have plan in place to build the elevator for the Hillside building, once in place I will be sure to share in Hotel Facebook.

I am also particular pleased that you also took the time to enjoy and eat at the Wine V Bar & Bistro. Next time you visit make sure to try the “Spicy Salmon Saep” (Salmon served with rocket salad, green chili and mint spicy sauce) which is a personal favorite of mine.

Thank you again for submitting this particular review and I delighted to see that you and your husband found many areas of the resort your liking. I certainly hope it won’t be the last time we welcome you back.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Still can't get over how much we paid for this room, got the room with big tub next to our bed for our honeymoon. There's no elevator but that's ok.. the view is fantastic, we stayed one night before going to Phi Phi, and one night after that before going back home. Would love to go back again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TamyClaflin
VogueResortNSpa, Manager at Vogue Resort & Spa Ao Nang, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear TamyClaflin,

Thank you very much for spending your Honeymoon and writing about your experience with us. I am delight to see that you enjoyed honeymoon so much and wish to come back again.

Again thank for your kind word regarding the Grand Deluxe view and ovrall of hotel service. We pride ourselves on superior customer service and I am glad to see the staff went above and beyond to make you had a great stay.

Yes, the Grand Deluxe Rooms offer an ambience of luxury and romance with their oversized tubs, separate showers, and large four-poster bed which is perfected for honeymoon couple.

Please stay in touch when you are planning your next visit, I do hope you will contact us directly so that we can assist to make arrangements.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Very clean, friendly staff. The room we had was initially made for 2, but we added an extra bed. It was still spacious. Bed was comfortable, and air conditioner was working well (very important feature to combat Krabi's sweltering heat). The hotel is in the main shopping area of Ao Nang so there are many shops, restaurants and bars nearby. Despite that, it was still quite secluded and peaceful.

The only downside is that our room is uphill. I don't mind burning a few extra calories, but I'd imagine it'll be a bit inconvenient if your traveling with babies.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
VogueResortNSpa, Manager at Vogue Resort & Spa Ao Nang, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Huzy M,

First of all, thank you for sharing your amazing comment about your recent stay at our Resort.

I am pleased that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. In particular your feedback with regard the friendliness of the staff, the room & comfortable bed and the location of the hotel is appreciated and I will be sure to share your comment with the team.

I am also particular pleased that you had enjoy with the peaceful of the hotel Day & Night as THE COCONUT BAR across the road has ended their contract and move out which will be NO more issues from loud live band music during the night.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

Not a bad place at all. The rooms were nice, staff were warm and helpful. The pool was real nice.
The hotel is a bit old but on the whole well maintained. The location is good with tons of eating options in the vicinity and walking distance to the beach. On the whole a fairly pleasant experience.
Only dampener being that we were recommended the ferry to go from krabi to phuket by the hotel.
Would have preferred a cab as the ferry trip was pure horror and i would have been happy to spend the extra quid and get a taxi.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
VogueResortNSpa, Manager at Vogue Resort & Spa Ao Nang, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Praveen A,

Thank you very much for taking the time to do a review of the resort and on behalf of the team we are so happy you had a wonderful stay. I also very pleased that you enjoyed the room, the pool and the warm service from our team member.

My apologies on your experience regarding the travelling by ferry from Krabi to Phuket. I had informed my Front Office Manger to contacting Ferry Company to improve their service as you had mentioned.

Do not hesitate to contact me at any time when planning your next trip to Ao Nang, I will personally ensure you have another great stay with us.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

I'll skip all the parts about how good the location, facilities of the hotel blah blah and go straight to the point. Aside from the slow 4 storey hike to my room, I had my happiest and sexiest time in Thailand. The superior room was just stunning! It had a round tub right in the room, a comfy 4 post bed and a cool balcony which overlooked the pool and the scenic cliffs in the background. We had everything we needed in the room and had a rejuvenating stay for the 3 nights we were there.
The receptionist and staffs were the friendliest bunch of people I've met. The night receptionist went the extra mile to cut up a watermelon which I bought earlier in the day into beautiful heart-shaped slices, it was a beautiful touch of service and I really commend this little but memorable service. I will recommend anybody who is intending to book a room to go for the Superior one as thats what makes the hotel special

Room Tip: Go for the Superior room (worth the 4 storey climb) and choose blocks which are further away from th...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VogueResortNSpa, Manager at Vogue Resort & Spa Ao Nang, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear jervis21,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed and positive review and I am genuinely pleased to read that you had such enjoyable and memorable stay with us. It is great that you appreciated not only the room, a comfy 4 post bed, a cool balcony which overlooked the pool and the scenic cliffs in the background and in particular the friendliness and the extra mile service from our team member is well received and I will be sure to share your comments with the team.

Again thank for your kind word regarding the service and the friendliness you’re received from our staff team member and particular the Night Reception. We pride ourselves on superior customer service and I am glad to see that the team member went above and beyond to make you had a great stay.

I do hope you will contact us directly so that we can assist to make arrangements on your next visit and we looking forward to welcome your back and impress once again.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

We loved our stay at Vogue Resort and Spa. The room was very clean and check-in/out was very easy. The spa was nice as well especially if you'd like to get a traditional thai massage. Breakfast every morning was great with a cook to order eggs and lots of items from which to choose. There was one odd issue. The "door" from the main part of the room to the toilet and shower was a sheer cloth hanging in the doorway so there is not much privacy. The other thing to take notice is that there are no elevators that we could see. Our room was on the third or fourth floor and the bellman carried our luggage to and from the room. Our room had an amazing view overlooking the beautiful pool and ocean. We did not hear any noise from the surroundings or the bar as others have mentioned. We definitely would visit this resort again on future trips to Ao Nang.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VogueResortNSpa, Manager at Vogue Resort & Spa Ao Nang, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear pup1029,

On behalf of the team we thank you very much for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay with us and so happy that you had a great stay. I have shared your kind words with my team and they were overjoyed in knowing they contributed to a successful holiday.

I am so pleased that you took a massage in our Chaonang Spa “Sensation of Peace, Purity and Simplicity” which we offered a range of Body massage, Body scrubs, Body wraps, Facial treatments and including Spa package and as your mentioned there are a lot cheap massage in Ao Nang area, but we are different as we employ highly skilled therapists who have been specially trained in well-known spa academies throughout Thailand. They bring with them a wealth of experience ensuring that you are in the best hands.

Yes, the Grand Deluxe is located on a hillside and we do not have any elevator in the resort at the moment. So for those who prefer the view, rather than access, I would recommend the Grand Deluxe Rooms at the top of our hillside. If guest prefer no step, we have rooms located in the Superior Room category without a single step to enter the room. I also delighted to inform that we have planned to build the elevator for Grand Deluxe building and once in place I will be share in Resort Face-book.

Thank you again for submitting this particular review and I delighted to see that you found so many areas of the resort your liking. I certainly hope it won’t be the last time we welcome you back.