“Beautiful bungalow huts, incredible service”

Leelawadee Garden Resort
Ranked #16 of 139 Specialty Lodging in Ao Nang
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful bungalow huts, incredible service”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This resort is just adorable - lovely little huts in a secluded location. Kitchenette, living area, air conditioned bedroom, closet area for luggage and bathroom with great showers. These are out of the main strip and not within walking distance of anywhere really - so if happy with that then you will be happy with these. Staying out of the main hustle and bustle and in the nicer rural area is far nicer in my opinion. We hired a moped through the resort which was 200 Baht a day - a few pounds. We ended up seeing so much more of the area staying that little way out and due to us having the ability to travel round ourselves - so worth it.
What makes this resort is not necessarily the actual accommodation itself but the service and help that you get from the owners. Paul was fantastic with us, finding out what we wanted to do, see, experience and then giving us tips and directions of how to do it. They will book tours or anything for you, draw maps to get there, recommend stunning restaurants, bars, tips for the area .... everything you need when you are new to an area. So, so helpful - they couldn't do enough for you.
The only downside to this resort is the bugs! Being in a more rural area, it can't be helped so you have to get used to finding small friends occasionally! It adds to the experience!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hannah A

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I can't rate Leelawadee highly enough. I came for four days for a little holiday after a hectic work week in Bangkok and Cambodia. From the moment I arrived, I felt welcome and relaxed. The owners and hosts Paul and Caroline could not have done more for me - booking my tours, bringing me meals to my door, giving me movies to watch, a chat with a beer - you name it. The villas are outstanding - stylish and sparkling clean and the resort itself is beautiful with gardens and a pool. All you can hear at night are crickets. It was a total dream. It rained half the time I was there (July) but I didn't care. The resort is a drive away from everywhere so bear that in mind - to me it adds to the charm. Thanks Caroline for looking after me!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had originally only intended on staying 2 nights, but we wanted to stay another night. We had been staying in inexpensive guest houses and wanted something nice but quiet and we got just that.

We stayed in a bungalow that had a kitchenette, living room, sizable bathroom, sizable bedroom, and large closet. I like resting in the hotter hours of the day and because the bungalows have separate rooms, my husband and I weren't tripping over each other (sometimes one wants to nap while the other wants to watch tv).

The hotel is slightly secluded, but a short taxi ride to town. However, if you book a massage, the massage place will pick you up for free. Also, sometimes it's nicer to fall asleep to crickets chirping instead of the roar of scooters and motorcycles.

The service was the best we've had in Thailand (and possibly in the many other places I've stayed). Caroline (owner) helped us not only sort out excursions, but gave us some great ideas for other parts of our trip. Not only would I happily come back, but I would tell my parents to stay there.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank htymins
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Myself and my g/f (both 26 yrs) had a fantastic time at Leelawadee for 4 nights in early May 2013. From the very outset the owners were incredibly helpful. They took us to the bakery when on their way to town to save us a taxi fare, made several brilliant recommendations of things to see and places to eat and were incredibly attentive. They made us both feel so welcome and as a result during our 2 weeks staying in high quality resorts across Thailand, we enjoyed this resort the best. You will not get a better deal than booking activities through their contacts, so don't book ahead! We did Elephant trekking, private island tour on long boat, kayaking and a cooking lesson...all were brilliant and much cheaper than any advertised tour.

The villas are clean, spacious, with a fantastic shower. The pool is brilliant and the little touches, such as free drinking water refills were much appreciated. I also recommend the local bakery for breakfasts - amazing fresh bread.

A truly wonderful experience and place for couples (if you want the hustle bustle of Ao Nang on your doorstep, this is not the place....but trust me, it is much better!)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maddison1987
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My partner and I stayed at this delightful gem several weeks ago. We only booked it for 3 nights and now wish we stayed there for our entire vacation. Caroline, Paul and Bo went out of there way to direct us to real authentic Thai food and to travels off the well worn path on Krabi. Our accommodations were delightful and so very peaceful. We rented one of their scooters so we were up early to tour the countryside then back to the resort to hang out at there wonderful pool area. Don't get lured into one of those crowded resorts by the sea. Try this place...I promise it will not disappoint. We are already planning our next trip there! Thank you Caroline, Paul and Bo for one of our most memorable holidays..see you soon !!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Warrington
Reviewed April 7, 2013

After 10 days following my husband’s dream of visiting the Angkor temples in Cambodia and specimen fishing in Thailand, I got to pick the last 4 days of our holiday and what a good choice Leelawadee was. Excellent accommodation run by people who really care about their guests and offer the sort of individual hospitality you don’t get at large resorts.

Caroline was constantly on hand to offer advice, arrange taxis or trips, or go to collect take-away food for us. Luckily for us, being there during a quiet period, she had time to chat and was really good company. Caroline’s father Paul and his wife Bo where equally good hosts, and on finding our love for Thai cuisine they sent us out armed with name of a dish to order written in Thai on a piece of paper, and directed our taxi to the best restaurant in Krabi to get this wonderful food. We were not disappointed!

On learning that my husband is a keen bird watcher Paul took him to explore the beach and in-shore region close to the resort. Within a few minutes he had spotted an astounding number birds and animals and on the way back they called in at a local free to visit aquarium.

The bungalows are thoughtfully designed taking the best of traditional Thai architecture and incorporating all the modern aspects of tastefully decorated hip hotel accommodation. Instead of just an en suite bedroom, you get a beautiful uncluttered bedroom with very comfy bed, a separate dressing room, a shower room and toilet. A kitchen and lounge separated by a convenient breakfast bar.

All 8 bungalows are set in very tidy cultivated gardens belying the fact that the whole site is just 2 years old and promising to become even more beautiful as the gardens mature. All around there are kingfishers and sea eagles to be seen without even leaving the pool area.

We made a few trips to Krabi town, preferring its authenticity to the commercialism of Ao Nang. Krabi’s markets and souvenir shops were much cheaper with no need to haggle.

We found it so refreshing to meet people who wanted to help us experience the true Thailand, its culture and its rich wildlife. I must commend the owners of Leelawadee for enriching our holiday.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lynbob
Edinburgh
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the Leelawadee from the 4th to the 11th of March. I would agree with the previous review that the review by Abergvie seems as though it was written by someone who stayed somewhere else or is trying to bad mouth the resort and harm its reputation. Tripadvisor- can this person prove they stayed there? I usually would not mention this however it is so inaccurate and reads as though they have never spent 4 minutes here never mind 4 days.

We had an amazing time here. The villas are clean and spacious and the entire resort it very well maintained. The pool is clean and offers great views. The villa has everything you might expect including decent wifi and a mini bar without the usual minibar prices.

The resort is remote from the main hub of Aonang- we only seen this as a benefit as Aonang is busy and noisy and we were after a more peaceful escape. If you want to see much of what the region of Krabi has to offer you will either need to book tours or hire some form of transport. We hired 2 scooters (around £40 each for 1week) and used these to go everywhere even at night. The roads are very good you just need to be sensible. Taxis are also an inexpensive option.

The resort is owned by Paul and run by his daughter Caroline. We have never had such attentive helpful service whilst on holiday. We were collected from the airport by Paul (there is a charge for this) taken to the resort then after we settled in to our Villa we were taken for a short tour of Aonang on our way to collect our scooters.

Caroline and Paul offer a great insite into this beautiful region and gave great advice on what to do, where to go and where to eat ( I would recommend the mango tree near the roundabout for good cheap Thai food). Caroline can book tours and arrange taxis and boat hire. We went kayaking which was beautiful if a a little energetic.

I guess this resort would not be perfect for everyone- don't stay here if all you want to do is lay on a beach and get drunk ( why come all the way to this beautiful place to do that anyway). But if you are after a quiet away from it all holiday in a small intimate resort run by lovely people who really care that you have a good holiday then book the Leelawadee.

For the best prices I would recommend booking direct with the resort but be mindful that they do no accept credit cards as they are too small to qualify for one.

I would like to thank Paul (and is partner Bo) and Caroline for helping us have one of the best holidays ever.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple