Centara Anda Dhevi Resort and Spa
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
2,222 results
All reviewspool access roomlobby barfamily martao nang beachtuk tuklovely hotelegg stationswimming poolkids clubstayed for nightsconvenience storeearly checkgarden viewpleasant staymin walkfood stallssun loungers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 5, 2013

If your idea of a holiday is to chill out, get up later than normal, have a lazy breakfast and then spend a bit of time reading a book in a quiet sunny corner of the hotel grounds – then this is NOT the place for you. The problem is that this five storey hotel is too big for the ground it occupies leaving most of the remaining ground dominated by a large (but shallow) swimming pool and an even smaller area for guests to lie out. Unless you get up at dawn to reserve your lounger with a towel, as many guests did, then you have no chance of getting a chair in one of the good positions and if you leave it much later you may not get a lounger at all. We noticed some people did this and then went out for the day – in some other hotels the management state that if a lounger remains unoccupied for more than half an hour the pool attendants will remove the towel and free it up for another guest – a much needed rule here I would suggest. There are seventy loungers (and 15 sun umbrellas) crammed into the poolside area, all within a few inches of each other and laid out in regimented lines. There is no chance of moving your lounger to get more shade, or more sun, as you are within a few inches of your neighbour all the time. As well as being an overcrowded area, it was noisy with the sound of kids running, jumping, shouting in the pool all day long. When originally offered a choice of pool view rooms or garden view rooms we naively assumed there was a garden with loungers in quiet corners for peace and quiet (as there is for example at the Centara hotel in Hua Hin – a fabulous hotel compared to this). But there isn’t and there aren't! It is this total lack of any quiet spacious room to relax in the hotel grounds that was a huge negative for us. On the other hand, if you have a couple of pre-teen kids who love splashing about in the water all day and you need to keep an eye on them and you don’t want to spend the day at the beach (but why not?) then this tightly packed area might suit you but for us it was far too crowded and cramped and therefore a major negative.

Other less important niggles: There are no non-slip tiles in the pool area so be extremely careful when entering the pool, even at the one and only set of steps as it is easy to slip. We saw two bad falls during our week there.

The breakfast is OK but nothing more than should be expected of a hotel of this grading. Our one and only evening meal was also adequate but nothing exciting. My “signature dish” of curried prawns with apple didn’t include any apple. We were given a voucher valid for the first evening whereby we got a second meal free if paying for one. We both ordered a main meal for 500 Baht and a side dish for 100 Baht plus drinks. When the bill came our second free meal happened to be one of the side dishes saving just 100 Baht – however, when we pointed out that we expected the second main course to have been the free one they changed it immediately – but a bit of a con-trick to have presented the bill like that in the first place.

The gym was never opened on time and we always had to ask back at the reception desk to get someone to open-up which eventually they did but just a daily frustrating waste of 20 minutes. Secondly the gym room and amount of equipment was too small for this size of hotel – e.g. only two of the ever popular running machines which were always in use in the mornings.

Anything on the positive side? Yes, quite a bit. Mainly our room, which happened to be a second floor pool view room. It was spacious and had a huge and very comfortable double bed. The room offered all the extras you might expect: free WIFI, Tea/Coffee making facilities, Safe, Fridge, nice balcony, effective a/c and an equally spacious en-suite bathroom with a full sized tub as well as a separate shower cubicle. The room was spotlessly clean as was the whole hotel. Laundry service was excellent.

The staff, without exception were friendly, seemingly happy and very helpful throughout. On arrival it was a nice touch for the duty manager to come up and introduce himself with contact number if we had any problems.

Because of the congested pool area we tended to use the hotel simply as a base as it is reasonably conveniently situated a few hundred metres inland just north of the main Ao Nang beach and just south of the quieter Noppharat Thara Beach

As to the rooms, we had a second floor bedroom looking right onto the swimming pool which was as good a position as any. On the ground floor below, the room balcony opens directly onto the swimming pool itself so you can jump straight into the pool from your balcony which is an alternative choice. Although the pool area was noisy (and we happened to have chosen European School’s half term week!) it was generally the happy sounds of children playing. We never had any problem with noise in the evening or night.

Three tips:
1. If you want to chill out with an occasional cool dip but don’t want to play sardines with your fellow guests in the crowded pool area, then forget the overcrowded hotel pool and walk (or take a 40 Baht tuk tuk drive) to the far end of Ao Nang beach and get off the tuk tuk where the road turns sharp left to go up the long hill. Keep walking by the sea along a pedestrian strip for a couple of hundred metres through an archway to a sandy area with palm trees. On the left are a long line of open massage areas with numerous bar/seating areas at the edge of the beach on your right. You will be offered a deckchair for the day, some fruit, use of toilets, cups of coffee, a beach mat and cushion (just bring your own beach towel) and you can have exclusive use to all of this for the whole day FOR FREE …. Providing you commit to taking one massage during the day. The massages turned out to be the best we’d had in the whole resort and only cost 300 Baht - same as in the village. So this was incredible value and you could sunbathe directly on the beach within a few steps of the warm Andaman Sea which was safe for kids as no undercurrents and quite shallow for some way out. Also the option to move back a few metres to your original chair for a bit of palm tree shade from time to time. A great way to spend a day and far more preferable than the congested confines of the hotel pool area.
2. Plenty of day trips are available, bookable directly with the hotel or with your tour operator. Prices seem to be fixed, but they are not because the lady (lady boy?) in the tourist booth across the small road nearly opposite the hotel offers those very same tours, with the same companies for a fraction of the price. For example, two day tickets to visit the nearest island had a stated cost of 1,000 Bahts per adult. She volunteered the exact same trip for 1200 Baht for the two of us. Same percentage discount for a half day cookery course we attended – which happened to be excellent.
3. There were many local restaurants covering every type of food and, if you avoided hotel restaurants, value was excellent. We love the Thai food, but if you want an occasional change we’d highly recommend The Carnivore restaurant, a short walk up the first hill on the left from the hotel. Run by a Belgian and offering the best steaks I have ever tasted. My wife had a large Tuna steak – superb – and I a mouth-watering Sirloin. Expensive by Thai standards but a fraction of the price you’d pay in Europe. Need to book in advance.

Room Tip: Rooms with pool view are the best and we had no problems with noise despite school holiday time with many in the pool. Alternative 'garden rooms' have no view at all.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank DavidBCambridgeUK
General Manager... G, General Manager at Centara Anda Dhevi Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear DavidBCambridge

Thank you for your detailed posting on Tripadvisor, it is through your constructive comments and feedback that we are able to address any issues where we have fallen short of your expectations and, to also give praise to staff where they have done well.

Let me start by saying for Krabi / Ao Nang, this is the high season at the moment and as such most hotels are expected to be busy during this time, many with families with children.

Our hotel is well designed with a focus on making full use of all space available which, by doing so has enabled us to include a spa, fully equipped gym, kids club, main swimming pool, kids pool, swim up pool bar and also a slider all for our guests to enjoy.

I have noted your comment with regard to reserving of loungers and we have implemented a one hour policy and will monitor the progress. Thank you for this.

Thank you also for your positive comments on our breakfast, the room, quality of bed, the complimentary extras, the spacious bathroom, housekeeping standards of cleaning, laundry service and our staff being friendly happy and helpful.

I was please to read that you did take up the newly introduced offer of a free main course although I do apologise for the confusion when you were presented with the bill.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments and I do hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Centara Family.

Kind regards
Wayne Duberly

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Basically lets start with the good:-
1. Lovely rooms. We got a double and the bed was enough for my hubs & I plus another bed for our 2 girls (2 & 3.5), we also had a cot which we only used only on the first night. There was enough storage for all our stuff. My mom had a lovely room ALL to herself. The balcony was a plus as well.
2. Hotel pool was lovely
3. Breakfast was okay could be better
4. Bellhops were really nice

The bad:-
1. Really unfriendly front desk staff, they lacked basic tourist knowledge and just weren't interested to help
2. The staff at breakfast were soooo grumpy, basic things like getting a cup of coffee seem too tedious for them ALL. Serious damper. They hardly bothered to clear the plates as well.
3. Bad smell from my loo EVERY SINGLE MORNING from 7.30am to 9am. So nasty, we used my mom's connecting room loo! So avoid room 5302.
4. Housekeeping. I asked for 3 towels and after they cleaned the room replaced 1 towel and that was all I had, 1 large towel (really?) and my water wasn't replaced either. The issue was that day only so it could just be that housekeeper.

The Spa:-
Bit expensive and we did a couple massage and didn't really appreciate the chatter but it wasn't a bad massage. There's a pretty decent Thai massage place just opp. the hotel for 250 baht, I didn't mind the talking.

I have to mentioned that I did leave my bag at the reception while chasing after my kids and went back to my room without it, I went down an hour after and I was so grateful that they had kept it aside for me.

It's a good hotel and not far from many places to eat, the staff just need a kick in the backside and some training because yes, they are 4 star but they weren't cheap so bad service no matter how many stars is just not right and for the amount we paid, doesn't warrant the attitude.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ze_succubus
General Manager... G, General Manager at Centara Anda Dhevi Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Ze_Succubus,

Thank you for your detailed comments on tripadviser following your recent stay with us. It is through this information we are able to encourage staff with the positive and identify areas for training / retraining with the not so positive.

Thank you for your kind words in regard to the rooms, the balcony, hotel pool, breakfast and our Bellmen this is greatly appreciated.

As already replied to in your husband’s posting, your comments with regard to unfriendly desk staff, I have taken up with my Front Office Manager to share with her team and to take corrective action. I am sorry they came across in this manner as it is certainly not the level of service and guest interaction we strive for and do normally achieve on a daily basis.

The Food and Beverage Manager has also been made aware of the short comings experienced during breakfast service and the Housekeeping Manager (although it was only one day you experienced a problem) has also been made aware of the consistency issue with the towel and water.

I was pleased to see you did think the spa massage "wasn’t bad", but I have mentioned to the Spa Manager about the staff chatter that could be heard.

I also thank you for your kind comment about the reception staff that did keep your bag that you forgot at reception and will be pleased to pass this on.

Training, retraining and encouragement are usually the methods we use to correct staff behaviour and address any shortfalls in service which have been identified.

Thank you again for you and your husband’s postings.

Kind regards
Wayne Duberly

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Had a great stay here originally booked Railay Beach how lucky were we to have changed to this beautiful hotel, had a problem with mattress it was resolved immediately staff could not have been more helpful, we did upgrade to a swimming pool view on the 4th floor the garden room looked out to other rooms! Our room was spotless, comfortable with two 4ft beds there was fresh linen and towels most days. There was tea and coffee making facilities and good quality of shampoo etc. The breakfast had a good selection fresh fruit, cereal, Continental, English and Thai food I preferred the freshly cooked eggs and omelettes. We had a few lunches in hotel they were just ok we preferred to go outside the hotel we eat at Luna on the beach a few times. We ate in the hotel when there was a special night i.e. BBQ or Chinese New Year good food with plenty of choice, great value 390 baht, these nights had music which made a change for us to know where we would eat and not end up walking past each restaurant (there are many) trying to decide which one to choose. I had the best ever spa package in the hotel spa it was absolutely beautiful two hours of bliss so good I have another the next week! It was my birthday while we were there to my surprise I had a cake delivered to my room. All in all great hotel we found staff to be genuinely friendly and helpful great position just far enough away from the hustle and bustle but near enough to walk to nightlife.

The only downside of the hotel was the small area around the pool; the pool was a good size the only problem was the sun lounges were so close together it was very off putting to have such a small space between you and the next bed laying so close to a stranger. Also there was a bad case of the people that get up at the crack of dawn to reserve the same bed in the best position “every day”.

Room Tip: Poole view or if you have children pool access room
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Hotel location is not on the beach but thats not important as the hotel have excellent facilities & lots of good ground space. Good food good bar, swimming pool excellent! Room 10/10! Good friendly service staff! But book your day trip outside its cheaper! If u are looking for hotel on the seafront this is not for you but its only 10mins walk to the beach so its not too far. We love this hotel...v.modern but with a thai design & thai touch. We'll come back with our friends next year... Thank you :-)

Room Tip: By the pool or top floor garden view
Reviewed March 2, 2013

can only say , excellant, everything was spotless,rooms were amazing and modern. staff were so helpful and always smiling. breakfast was really good, with a huge selection. only negative thing was prices of drinks expensive. location was good too just away from busy front.

Room Tip: all rooms are excellant, you wont be dissapointed